Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andrew

My car performance

Guest Andrew

For the first installment.. the weight of my car - tommorow at 1 oclock it will see the dyno.

The weight was taken with:

A full tank of gas approx 50 kg of fuel

and my car runs.. 2 very light Jamex seats.. no rear seats.. no sound deadning under back seats and no sound deadning in boot and WITH the spare wheel.

A grand total of 1070 kg done at the north shore city dump.

Not bad aye..

Tommorow on the dyno we'll try for 100 rwkW and 240 rwNm torque but i'm not that hopeful .. i'm running 96 and its noticeable how motronic caps the performance to reduce knock.. i'll dyno it with 98 also next week.

Curiously, is there an easy way to reduce some unnecessary weight without degrading ride comfort???

Guest Andrew

Curiously, is there an easy way to reduce some unnecessary weight without degrading ride comfort???

Probably not.......I love road noise, petrol tank noise, fuel pump noise, gearbox noise, diff noise.. ahh all the great things I couldn't hear before.

Guest Andrew

i love those nosies to(windows down next best thing :P ) i would love to see some pics of ur car from wat iv read it is impresive B)

I went out to snap some with it mint clean the other day - bastard camera kept complaining batts were flat. Next nice day i'll take some - .. it looks pretty much just like a stock clean orange e30.

Looks obviously can be deceiving though ;)

I'd be interested to hear how loud your car is from the inside, i'd also like to see some pics. I'll be taking a few this weekend I could image, next week will be a bit of a pic-fest.

My car is lighter than that with all the sound deadening and back seats :P

Have you lightened it or is it just lighter cause it's a 318 coupe???

My car is lighter than that with all the sound deadening and back seats :P

Your engine is significantly lighter though.

Power to weight, Andrews will easily out perform your 318. For a 325i engined car (with a full tank of gas), Andrews is really really light.

Power to weight, Andrews will easily out perform your 318. For a 325i engined car (with a full tank of gas), Andrews is really really light.

According to owners manual My car weighs 1010kg and a 325i is around 1200kg I think? So Andrew has done pretty well to shave off at least 100Kg with pretty minor stuff really. And I know I wont have a hope in a straight line, even my mere 60Kg weight advantage isn't enough for double the horsepower. Other reason my car is light other than engine is no electrics and no power steer (similar to andrews) Andrew what are your 0 - 100 times? just using a bodgy stopwatch method or something i just want a rough idea

I wonder what weight I could get my car down to???

were you in it?

told ya the seats were light :D :mosh:

Guest Andrew

According to owners manual My car weighs 1010kg and a 325i is around 1200kg I think? So Andrew has done pretty well to shave off at least 100Kg with pretty minor stuff really. And I know I wont have a hope in a straight line, even my mere 60Kg weight advantage isn't enough for double the horsepower. Other reason my car is light other than engine is no electrics and no power steer (similar to andrews) Andrew what are your 0 - 100 times? just using a bodgy stopwatch method or something i just want a rough idea

I wonder what weight I could get my car down to???

a 325 is 1215 kg if manual

I would weigh you car.. you'll probably find it weights a lot more than the manual says.. most guys in america are getting around the same mark as me with thier 318i 's .

Even so i'm sure my power/weight ratio will be twice as good lol.

Guest Andrew

ok i've had enough i'm gonna start ripping out all interior lol. I wanna be less than 1000 kg!

Guest Spargo

Dude, headliners are for pussies, you dont need sunshades, just wear some sunglasses!

Even so i'm sure my power/weight ratio will be twice as good lol.

Yeah i said you'd have double the power of my car. I'm not even close to triple figure kilowatts. What do you think yours will make at the flywheel?

I also say rip out all your interior. What does a track car need carpet, radio, door cards for?

Guest Andrew

Well we had it on the dyno:

A few things.. the RPM meter on Bellars dyno wouldn't work - so we couldn't measure torque.. and we couldn't put any of these figures against a RPM.

Now for the result 92 kW. This is MUCH below what the motor builder expected of 110 - 120 kW. And who wants to take a guess at the reason for this - thats right.. Moronic can't deal with the modified engine properly. It doesn't open the injectors long enough - everything leans out and we lose power. Its possible I don't have the correct cam in there also. Not being able to measure torque is stupid - because this car pulls so much harder than the average 325.. a shame.. i reckon its making 240 - 250 Nm.

You can see on the graph how its meant to be a lot higher. Oh well - thats 2 cars on here with modified m20s that have the power capped by moronic - Grants and mine are both the quickest ones on here and don't have the ECU to match. Anyway.. this summer Link time for me and probably Grant also.

You can see how when the power drops the AFR graphs goes the wrong way - up = lean .. it should be heading down.

post-5-1088554476.jpg

you dont need sunshades, just wear some sunglasses!

sun visor (at least on the drivers side) is a WoF requirement - found that out, drunk mate of mine pulled the one off my ute - wof the following day, sorry - fail, no sun visor!! (even tho im too tall to need the sunvisor in a single cab ute! (sitting upright, my head was on the roof!)

92kw at the rear wheels is about 115-120hp-ish at the rear wheels, a standard 325i should hav about 140hp at rear wheels, something weird is going on that cant b right :wacko:

92kw at the rear wheels is about 115-120hp-ish at the rear wheels, a standard 325i should hav about 140hp at rear wheels, something weird is going on that cant b right :wacko:

no they shouldn't, drivetrain loss accounts for a lot more power than that.

At the BMW CC Dyno Day last year, the E30 325i's all ranged from 86 - 93kw's at the rear wheels.

Cheers

Guest Andrew

You can't compare power figures dyno to dyno - my car however is still one of the quicker 325s out there... torque is important and mine makes a lot more.

p.s performance is measured by timing not dyno figures. Dynos are tuning devices only.

I don't think you'll find a 325 that makes more than 100 kW on Bellars dyno.

drivetrain loss is about 15-20%, im planing on going to a dyno in the next week or so b4 i start toying around with it, most dynos should be very simlar with there results, dynos work by timing to get there result it is time, speed, rpm etc etc that are calculatored to get the power output but they are neva always accurat

hehe my crx slaps 92 at the wheels as well :D

badass

running poorly at the time too, will have to come to a dyno day to get my air fuel sorted too :pimp:

go the 1.6 N/A monstar!