Sign in to follow this  
Guest Simon*

Orcon rolling out ADSL2+ in 10 Akl exchanges midyear

Eventually Orcon will also have naked ADSL and mobiles (the latter a spin-off from their merger with Kordia last year), but they are still working on the admin and management side of things as well as negotiating final points with Telecom.

Mobiles were supposed to be here around now, but there have been a few hurdles to jump over. Should be good when it all comes together especially considering Orcons track record with data speed and customer satisfaction surveys.

At least thats the industry buzz at the moment.

Edited by bravo

if we can get decent internet at our place I will cry with relief.

My internet is slower and more expensive than it was 5 years ago. Exchange is right outside me house. But from what I hear that new ADSL stuff wont be out East (Howick, Bucklands Beach) till 2010.

Wish I still had my 8mb connection I had in the UK for 20 quid a month.

if we can get decent internet at our place I will cry with relief.

+1

My mate in aus has 24mps with no cap for $40 a month :mellow:

+1

My mate in aus has 24mps with no cap for $40 a month :mellow:

Achieving a line sync speed of 24mbps is usually only possible on ADSL2/2+ technology if the modem is within less than 1km of the exchange. It is unlikely that throughput is anyting like this. ADSL2 performance drops off rapidly beyond those distances, and at longer distances ADSL1 can outperform it.

24Mb/s downstream for Glenfield, Browns Bay, Ponsonby, Mt Eden, CBD and others

Read more here linkish_thing

Telecom has ADSL2 technology in some areas, although they are not making a big thing about it (yet?)

However without the fibre to the node (cabinets) to shorten the copper lines to the more optimal length of about less than 1km those living several km from an exchange won't see 24mbps even with ADSL2 or 2+. Telecom has already started the cabinetization rollout process. It is subject to a certain level of tension, the public in general want to keep them small (Who wants a big green cabinet outside their house?), but the industry want room for their equipment to be located in the cabinets along side Telecom equipment, so there is pressure to make them bigger.

My internet is slower and more expensive than it was 5 years ago. Exchange is right outside me house. But from what I hear that new ADSL stuff wont be out East (Howick, Bucklands Beach) till 2010.

Wish I still had my 8mb connection I had in the UK for 20 quid a month.

Check the line sync speed on your broadband modem? You can usually find this by using IE to log into your modem and you should be able to see this. Also try and do a line speed test using a local site to get a true indication of throughput here in the NZ Network.

It is possible for a modem to have corrupted settings that dramatically affect through put, or even a faulty modem. I swapped my single PC Dlink modem for a DLINK wireless / 4 port modem and got 5x better throughput with the same line speed test. Line Sync speed is 7mbps, througput on test is 4mbps (previously about 800kbps). For ADSL1 technologies 7mbps line sync is about as good as it gets, 8mbps would be excellent. Selling speeds higher than this on ADSL1 would be naughty.

Another thing that affects our perception of speed is that much of the content NZders enjoy is off shore. Think of a motorway, having a BMW M3 and an hugh on ramp is of little good if the motorway is jammed. It's a bit like higher access speeds, they are often not the major factors affecting throughput, although my faulty modem certainly was.

Things that can also affect the speed:

- a faulty copper cable, water ingress etc. Your service provider should be able to do a loop loss test that should show this. it possible for voice services to work pto our satisfaction over cables that are sub optimal for broadband.

- house wiring, missing line filters etc. It is possible to have a linbe splitter fitted which makes one jackpoint a dedicated Broadband access point for your DSL modem. No filters are required on the other jackpoints. This can eliminate household wiring issues, but may have no impact if that wasnt the problem.

I'd recommend talking to niegbours to find out what their broadband perfromance is like. If yours sucks comapred to theirs get it looked at, insist! I accepted my low throughput and gave up trying to get it fixed, and only discovered my modem was faulty when I replaced if to get wireless connectivity to the PS3.

Telecom has ADSL2 technology in some areas, although they are not making a big thing about it (yet?)

However without the fibre to the node (cabinets) to shorten the copper lines to the more optimal length of about less than 1km those living several km from an exchange won't see 24mbps even with ADSL2 or 2+. Telecom has already started the cabinetization rollout process. It is subject to a certain level of tension, the public in general want to keep them small (Who wants a big green cabinet outside their house?), but the industry want room for their equipment to be located in the cabinets along side Telecom equipment, so there is pressure to make them bigger.

To see when your area is due for cabnetisation see link: http://www.chorus.co.nz/n69,6.html

If you would like to know if your exchange has been upgraded to ADSL2+, pm me.

All my stuff is working fine. A line speed test during the day (when I am not always home) is very fast. After 5pm it slows to about 1/5th of the speed.

Its that Telecon Go Large Unlimited Plan. The one that just gets slower and slower over time as more and more people join. And at peak times they set your line speed to 3rd World mode.

All my stuff is working fine. A line speed test during the day (when I am not always home) is very fast. After 5pm it slows to about 1/5th of the speed.

Its that Telecon Go Large Unlimited Plan. The one that just gets slower and slower over time as more and more people join. And at peak times they set your line speed to 3rd World mode.

Mmmm fair usage policy. Download more that 700Mb on go large between 4pm - midnight on a regular basis and risk being capped. Id give my left nut for go large, have seen people download in excess of 300gig/month on that plan!

Go Large is great :) Just leave the PC on overnight. The new equipment is capable of doing great things, its also dependent on the core part of the network however.

It's all about network capacity not speed of individual items.

The reason every ones Broad band is crap is because the network capacity and the interconnection architecture is rubbish.

We have a fibre optic cable within 500 metres of our house but it the switches through road side cabinets. It swaps from fibre to copper (digital to analogue) several times and picks up other spurs to be routed at the Mt Albert exchange into the central trunk.

So my email has about a 60k round trip to get to my neighbour - so much for the information super highway we were promised in the 1990's.

It's a bit like having an M3 parked at the start of the on ramp to the motorway in Newmarket and want to get to Green lane - but the on ramp goes via Albany! at 10kmh!!

Telecom have been overselling their services and not investing in core infrastructure for 20 years - just look at their approach to mobile

1) buy an obsolete (analogue 025) AMPS platform because its cheap - flog the crap out of until you are forced to change

2) Buy a digital patch D-AMPS - flog it for a couple more years

3) Buy a CDMA network because its an unproven new development platform that is trying to buy market share - but it bombed because it is crap compared to GSM which is now 40 years old.

but then what do a bunch of smart Europeans(GSM) know that cant be copied by a bunch of asians with US funding in 2 years (CDMA) - well it appears a truck load!!

20 years later after pissing your customers around for 2 decades - offer them the service they could have had all along (GSM was bell south now Vodafone) and suggest they are getting the latest and greatest - roam like never before - well us on GSM have been doing it since 1993.

the comments about telecoms network are interesting, as from what i understand, with the introduction of there new GSM network they are also introducing and EDGE network? if they are going to all the trouble to upgrade (which really they have no choice) why are they introducing a 2.5g network that isn’t used in many parts of the world other than the states and limited in Europe, when places like Japan are now using 3.5g networks?

a) telecoms new mobile network is W-CDMA not GSM

B) Japan has the most sophistcated network in the world

c) i think youre asking the wrong people/forum/topic

Well, as long as Telecom feel the need to follow Qualcomm down the CDMA path and pay them royalties. Then the crap range of cellphones that Telecom offer will continue.

http://www.powerware.com/New_Zealand/default.asp

http://www.rakon.com/

I've had a bit to deal with both ends of the scale.

Regarding the Go Large plan. I have never been told off for downloading. But the linespeed seriously suffers after 5pm when the traffic increases. But yes being able to download unlimited amounts during the day is great.

I think I have downloaded more the 800gig since I have been on the plan. Got on it when it first came out.