Sign in to follow this  
Venatus

Subwoofer grills?

Are you actually able to buy grills for subs, I like to actually use my boot, and dont want anything ramming through the cone accidentally.

At the moment I just have a ghetto as one, made from some auto mesh that was lying around and a coathanger. Its fairly strong though...

I cant notice any difference, but does anyone reckon it would effect the sound having bits of wire right in front of the cone?

Edited by Ven

Yip, you can get grills for subs. Just do a search on the net for the type of sub you have. Im getting a nice Alpine 10" one for mine for the same reason.

Sweet, yeah I found a few but theyre all overseas so Id have to pay shipping. Thus the ghetto one can stay for a while

ha ha, fair enough. Buying stuff off ebay is good at the moment as the US dollar is pretty close to ours. Wont cost that much!

Are you actually able to buy grills for subs, I like to actually use my boot, and dont want anything ramming through the cone accidentally.

At the moment I just have a ghetto as one, made from some auto mesh that was lying around and a coathanger. Its fairly strong though...

I cant notice any difference, but does anyone reckon it would effect the sound having bits of wire right in front of the cone?

Remember to watch the polarisation of the wire, and take into account the magnetic deviation for where you live

By aligning the magnetic polarity, the free-space particles excited by the subwoofer will be enhanced, rather than degraded, by the faraday-effect of the grill as they pass through.

You can also improve you performance by de-magnetizing the tyres :

"Magnetic fields emanate from radial tires due to the presence of reinforcing belts which are made of magnetized steel wire. When these tires spin, they generate alternating magnetic fields of extremely low frequency (ELF), usually below 20 Hz. "

So you can see the negative effect the magnetised tyres will have on the subwoofer performance

To avoid these problems, use non-metallic grill material, and ensure the immediate surrounding area (ie: within 1/8 of a wavelength @ 50Hz) contains no magnetic materials.

You can effectively achieve this by mounting the subwoofer on a fibreglass boat anchored 10kms of Rangitoto Island ... :-)

Remember to watch the polarisation of the wire, and take into account the magnetic deviation for where you live

By aligning the magnetic polarity, the free-space particles excited by the subwoofer will be enhanced, rather than degraded, by the faraday-effect of the grill as they pass through.

You can also improve you performance by de-magnetizing the tyres :

"Magnetic fields emanate from radial tires due to the presence of reinforcing belts which are made of magnetized steel wire. When these tires spin, they generate alternating magnetic fields of extremely low frequency (ELF), usually below 20 Hz. "

So you can see the negative effect the magnetised tyres will have on the subwoofer performance

To avoid these problems, use non-metallic grill material, and ensure the immediate surrounding area (ie: within 1/8 of a wavelength @ 50Hz) contains no magnetic materials.

You can effectively achieve this by mounting the subwoofer on a fibreglass boat anchored 10kms of Rangitoto Island ... :-)

The Glory of the interwebs means that I cant quite tell if youre being sarcastic or not, though the last sentence would suggest so...