Sign in to follow this  
curryinahurry

Audi A3 1.8T (8L shape)

Hi guys,

I've been on the hunt for a new car for quite a while. Currently looking at buying an Audi A3 1.8T, any of you guys know much about them?

Are they easy to service? (w/o going to a stealer of course!)

Nice to drive? Would it handle anything close to a bmw?

Reliable? Expensive to run?

Any common problems?

Any past experience with Audi's would be much appreciated, thanks guys!

P.S I'm not selling my E36! (thats my bro's car, time to get my own now :) )

Haha, was just a matter of time til someone said that !

Yeah, I'm considering that too. Just that since my bro's got one, I just wanted to get something different to play with, I mean there isn't much point in having two cars the same right?! :)

Why don't you get a BMW instead?

Hi guys,

I've been on the hunt for a new car for quite a while. Currently looking at buying an Audi A3 1.8T, any of you guys know much about them?

Are they easy to service? (w/o going to a stealer of course!)

Nice to drive? Would it handle anything close to a bmw?

Reliable? Expensive to run?

Any common problems?

Any past experience with Audi's would be much appreciated, thanks guys!

P.S I'm not selling my E36! (thats my bro's car, time to get my own now :) )

Not sure about servicing etc. A4's of similar vintage had very common suspension problems based on research I did when thinking about getting one.

Driving wise, probably not bad, but magazines tend to suggest that older Audi's understeer badly. Engine mounted too far forward is the problem I believe.

If you want this type of car, why not get a golf? Same chassis, more interesting engines, cheaper.

I mean there isn't much point in having two cars the same right?! :)

id have 10 if i could afford them all...

BMW > AUDI

The only A3/S3 that we get with quattro is the S3, and even then they aren't a full time 4wd like the larger a4 up.. They are fwd untill traction is lost, like the golf R32 and various other 4motion VWs.

Check out vask.org.nz for some more info but Id be much more tempted by a VW Golf mk4 gti, have nicer seats (recaros) and are much cheaper, also a load easier to find in manual. Try find a NZ new example, there are a few out there. Ther are a few things that people would reccomend replacing/keeping a eye on but im not 100% sure what these are, DVs and coil-packs ring a bell.

nick

A3's are hairdresser's cars. May as well buy a TT and be done with it!

I dont mind the new A3's but the mid 90's models are mostly for lesbians with short haircuts. Get a A4 insted if you are deffinatly certain it is a Audi that you want :)

my step mother drives a 1.8turbo a3 and its got a suprising amount of get up and go, it certantly suprised me. we have had no problems with ours and its a very nice solid well built car

I was gunna buy a 1.8T, untill i saw my 328i! ..The arguement id like to bring up is the 1.8t is a base model, and for the same coin i got a 328i msport, which is one model under the M3.. From the factory id take the bimmer anyday. With a bit of work, id still take the bimmer. With a lot of work, bimmer still wins.

Its up ta you in the end though! :)

A3's are hairdresser's cars. May as well buy a TT and be done with it!

Sorry,have you driven an A3 3.2 quattro? no,didn't think so.......