Sign in to follow this  
keen

Oh hell is this a problem with the e46? faulty e/windows

went away for a weeks holiday and the passenger window packed a sad and would not go back up after being wound down it got weak and needs me to help it up goes down OK, Then the r/h passenger one was used around a day later and made a terrible noise like something breaking and it wont go up or down. And after this being brought to my attention I notice that the drivers one sometimes makes a noise during use. Is this a problem for the E's or am I just unlucky.

This is not an uncommon problem, I'd pop off the door cards and see what's happening back there. You might find the windows have slipped off the runners, or perhaps the window motors need replacing.

The E46 window regulator plastic wheels break and the cable gets tangled. You'll probably need 2 regulators. And yes it is a common problem

My E36 had issues with the windows, were fixed a few times but they were never right even after repairs. I think the teeth in the drivers window had either been chipped or came right off making a hell of a noise.

E36 2nd hand parts can't be too expensive now are they?

The E46 window regulator plastic wheels break and the cable gets tangled. You'll probably need 2 regulators. And yes it is a common problem

thanks for that It sounds just like that is the fault to me also are the wheels at the top of the mechanism or at the bottom ? and are they easy to get at? and would you have a exploded view of the mechanism?

thanks for that It sounds just like that is the fault to me also are the wheels at the top of the mechanism or at the bottom ? and are they easy to get at? and would you have a exploded view of the mechanism?

You cant buy the bits seperately. You will need new regulators. Plastic wheels are at the top & bottom of the regulator.

My E36 had issues with the windows, were fixed a few times but they were never right even after repairs. I think the teeth in the drivers window had either been chipped or came right off making a hell of a noise.

E36 2nd hand parts can't be too expensive now are they?

Keens car is an E46....quite alot different to an E36

Keens car is an E46....quite alot different to an E36

Glenn if you have a mechanical insurance and there are more than one fault when the car goes in to have them repaired.Do you have to pay the excess for the number of faults or do you repair them on the one claim form and pay the one excess?

Had same problem 2 times in mine...replaced whole mechanism both times with new plastic clips etc.

c**t of a thing to do by yourself,if you are I'd take the window out and do it from the top and work your way down the guides on the inside of the door.Then line everything up and smack the white clips into the regulator pivot arms.

But as Glenn said,the 2 mechs are different and if they are completely different,forget everything I just said. :D

Glenn if you have a mechanical insurance and there are more than one fault when the car goes in to have them repaired.Do you have to pay the excess for the number of faults or do you repair them on the one claim form and pay the one excess?

Depends who the insurance company is...some do....some dont