Sign in to follow this  
mackt

540i Msport vs 530i Msport

Love my 328i but baby number 2 is due soon. So I may need 4 doors in the near future.

So I think the next move is to an e39. Has to be an Msport probably Year 2000 on.

The 530i from what I've read is meant to be fantatsic, but so is the 540i.

NZ new or is Jap import OK?

Red 540

Silver 530

Look forward to some advice...

Has to be an Msport

I agree... E39s look so good in M-Sport guise. It's almost a 'must have'.

6 cylinders E39 vs 8 cylinders use different steering, it's said the straight sixes are supposed to be a more nimble car. I haven't driven a V8 E39 though, I'm sure it's nice to have that much more power.

Don't see many Imola Red E39s around so that one would be a little exclusive. Silver is a colour that looks damn good on the E39 M-Sport, even if they are a bit common.

Japan vs NZ New - electronics ie: Nav, radio? will be what you need to check on. You'll have a much bigger selection if you consider Japanese imports because there aren't that many NZ New M-Sports around.

Think I need to find some and do some test drives. There are a couple of jap imports down here at the moment

530 M-Sport

540 M-Sport Blue

The Blue 540 is pretty tidy.

I've never owned a V8 and I love the sound of a straight six in anger :P But I think everyone needs to own a V8 at some stage!

Mind you I'm not adverse to buying something along way away (Auckland) - cause I think I'd have to drive it home (I'm looking forward to that drive already!)

Both those cars look fantastic but the 530 above probably makes more sense. 2001 which is a facelift model, the 19 inch wheels, the price difference. Just a few things. But the others a 540i, which has that beautiful M62 V8... ahh decisions.

I to have heard that the 530 is the more nutraly ballanced car how ever the 540 is a great drive also iv driven both model's and unless you are constantly on twisty roads you wouldnt notice the difference in handling however you will most certanly notice the difference in power.

my vote is the 540.

I thought this was going to be tricky!

If I had an XR6/XR8 or SS commodore up my @ss which one would show them a clean set of heals (in a completely socially responsible way of course :rolleyes: ), I guess the 540?

I think the V8 is tempting me...

Only you will be able to make that decision Mackt as you know your own and family's needs better than anyone.

My only guide would be to research any potential purchase thoroughly. The E39 is by no means faultless but these have been well documented. cooling system, final stage resistor, pusher fan, etc

Items I have found of interest to me have been the vehicles safety feature how safe are you in that car

Seat comfort, leather as apposed to other materials, types of adjustments available, ease of getting in and out. How does your back feel after strapping johnny in that baby seat,or getting that package out of the boot etc

Heater /air conditioning air flow, ability to maintain a good cabin environment etc

Road handling/ride over a wide range of situations go and stop functions.

My choice was a 530i. It has had it's moments and a steep learning curve for me, first time owner. Would buy again put look for the last of the E39 line with all the goodies and if pocket allowed look at the diesel range also.

We can all give you our opinion of the two vehicles concerned but in the end I feel my first comment stands.

Edited by allan

Great comments, thanks

If you want a car that has some chance of matching the dynamic drive of a well set up 328 there is only one choice - A 530 straight six

Only you will be able to make that decision Mackt as you know your own and family's needs better than anyone.

Looks like it's test drive time...

If you want a car that has some chance of matching the dynamic drive of a well set up 328 there is only one choice - A 530 straight six or get really green and go 530d.

The V8 is too heavy in the front and the steering is vague.

the m57 is considerably heavier than the M62,which is heavier gain than the M54,ie 160 kg vs 140kg vs 126

Great comments, thanks

Looks like it's test drive time...

mackt

I have a young family myself. The most important things to me and my wife are safety and comfort. My E39 540 gives me great overtaking capabilities and nice cruising comfort on long trips around the South Island. It's got plenty of room (although the position of the SatNav box in the boot makes loading up sometimes a bit of a nightmare) and the leather is easy to clean off ice-cream and other spillages.

I don't need to thrash it or go around corners at 9/10 ths - I'm past that now. If I did then I'd be pretty irresponsible especially if the little guy is in the back.

Also, on checking my Autosure warranty I read that BMW Motorsport and Merc AMG variants are not covered in the policy...

Go for the latest model and highest specs that you can afford or if you can stretch it, an X5 which is where I'll head next.

Mike

autohaus in Rotorua still have the black "S5" six speed manual 540.

What a rip off, and its not even a manual.

the one in rotorua is

Thanks for this

autohaus in Rotorua still have the black "S5" six speed manual 540.

Gave them a ring -this looks fantastic

99 BMW 540i S5 Schnitzer. This car is NZ new and may be the only one in NZ. Is 6 speed manual, sunroof, rear window sunblind, comfort seats electric with lumber support, sports suspension,Schnitzer alloys with wider at rear, phone. Has travelled 143000km and has a full service history.

Are the km's and issue???

post-1717-1207027266_thumb.jpg

post-1717-1207027289_thumb.jpg

post-1717-1207027333_thumb.jpg

kms not really an issue bar the normal e 39 faults....it may be time for some cooling system refurbishments....the Schnitzer stuff is really only the bodykit i think.I have some more pics of it.Is it back on TM?

What so unique about a manual 540 with a schnitzer body kit ?

I thought we had already established that it wasnt a 'genuine' S5, in that it hadnt had any engine or exhaust mods. Its doesnt even have the sports seats.

Its unique in that there arent many manuals..Its nt so desireable tho in that its still there,cant remember when it first came up.