Sign in to follow this  
Young Thrash Driver

E36 lights

My 1994 E36 325i has gone thru 1 high beam bulb, 3 low beam bulbs, one brake light bulb, one numberplate bulb, one reverse bulb, and one fog light bulb. I've done about 50000km, and owned the car for about 16 months.

Does this sound like she's got electrical gremlins?

Either that or you've done 50,000k with ya lights on :)

I havnt had or heard of a common problem like that.

Maybe just bad luck that all of them need chaging seeing the car is 14 years old?

That said, 3 low beam seems a bit excessive. I hope you are not using high wattage bulbs.

Were the low beam bulbs that were changed all old bulbs, or did you replace the same one again and again? What brand are the bulbs, assuming they are brand new, etc. How much night driving did you do?

Were the low beam bulbs that were changed all old bulbs, or did you replace the same one again and again? What brand are the bulbs, assuming they are brand new, etc. How much night driving did you do?

Brand new Phillips... Vision Plus, or something. Same wattage and voltage as printed on the OE bulbs. The 1st low beam that blew, I actually got an OE one from Jeff Grey in Palmy. Both low beams have blown, two for the left, one on the right. High beam was right hand side. Fog light was right hand side too

Most of my drivings night driving, but 3 low beam bulbs is stupid!

Brand new Phillips... Vision Plus, or something. Same wattage and voltage as printed on the OE bulbs. The 1st low beam that blew, I actually got an OE one from Jeff Grey in Palmy. Both low beams have blown, two for the left, one on the right. High beam was right hand side. Fog light was right hand side too

Most of my drivings night driving, but 3 low beam bulbs is stupid!

Yes that's a ridiculous amount of bulbs... doesn't sound normal! Replacing the Vision Plus so soon must be painful. Are the bulbs seated snugly in the lights, not having more play than normal? Other than that, must be electrical, which I have no idea about. If it keeps happening I'd take it to a sparkie to check the battery and alternator.

FWIW my E36 used to go through tail light bulbs a fair bit as well - 1 every 10,000km sounds about right.

And btw I don't do that much night driving so maybe it's normal - wonder how long the the bulbs are rated to burn for.

Get your alternator charge rate checked as well. Common problem when bulbs keep blowing....especially headlight bulbs. It could also just be a coincidence that this happening.

Yeah they're in there nice and firm...bit hard to stick em in wrong with that lil wire clip!

OK, thanks guys, I'll get a sparky... the OBC will prolly start blowing pixels now coz thats been getting too much overuse from warnings :lol: