Sign in to follow this  
cainchapman

Speed Nazis, literally.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/9/story....jectid=10502734

Autobahn gets a speed limit

11:44AM Tuesday April 08, 2008

Supercar owners have been known to use Germany's autobahns to push their cars to the upper limits.

Supercar owners have been known to use Germany's autobahns to push their cars to the upper limits.

GERMANY - The German state of Bremen plans to put a general speed limit on the autobahn.

The German motorways are famous both for their ultra-safe engineering and their lack of speed limits.

Aside from their legitimate purpose, the autobahns attract driving enthusiasts from throughout the world who take the golden opportunity to push their cars to massive speeds without fear of a matching ticket or a lost license.

There are certain areas do have restrictions - like road works and built-up areas - but officials in Bremen have decided to set a maximum general speed of 120km/h on its entire stretch of the autobahn.

State environment minister Rainer Loske told Associated Press that the new limit is for 'environmental reasons'.

- NZ HERALD STAFF

That sucks! The last free, no limit havana to unleash your toys and it's stuck with a shriveling 120!?

Bremen's only 0.001% of Germany's total land mass(or 40% of urban Auckland for perspective) so still plenty of places to blat it out

120 is nothing. I though vans and trucks et cetera went at much higher speeds?!?

Jeddy's right. This isnt such a big deal, but it may be if the other states take this policy on.

Environmental reasons is bollocks... I thought most of their cars peak efficiency would be at about 130, 140kmh

Environmental reasons wont relate to engine efficiency. They are probably more concerned with other effects like sound from the cars speed, damage to local wildlife etc.

Its good to see countries of the world finally getting on the environment bandwagon and doing something about it rather than just talking about doing something.

As if a police enforcement vehicle is going to catch a 900hp supra as it flys past at 300kph anyway.

Good luck enforcing the 10kph limit

From memory, as I've driven the A1 between Bremen and Hamburg, Bremen is not a very big state as it's a city-state from memory. I also remember doing 160kph in a 86 VW polo and being overtaken by evey imaginable vehicle so i'm going to assume that if it was a huge area restriction there'd be a LOT of pissed of germans.

Yes, Bremen is up North and not that large. I have also had a friend tapping along with Deb & I in his Mark 1 Golf doing nearly 200kph in the dark. And he is at least 70. Great fun. The wind turbines look freaky in the twilight.

Bremen isn't that small though, it's a critical hub for the Aerospace industry (especially for Airbus)

there is allways the outback in auz