Sign in to follow this  
QuickSilver

Removing AC

On a bit of a thread rampage at the moment, but I have a question about disconnecting the AC in the e24 before I pull the motor out, would all the gas be gone by now and I can go ahead and disconnect all the pipes without worry? Or is there something I need to be careful about?

Any info appreciated,

Cheers.

Alex.

Edited by QuickSilver

I just did some quick googling man, apparently refrigerant can cause frostbite etc if it comes in contact with your skin etc.

So maybe just jab the pipes off with a stick, so youre well away from any gas that might still be in there? :lol:

It is illegal (but that doesnt stop some people) to release refrigerant into the atmosphere. $10,000 fine if you get caught (a business that is)

Its environmently unfreindly sh*t that damages the ozone

Be a good boy and get it evacuated by a mobile AC repairer

Edited by botanymotorworx

damn! how much does that cost?

Coolcars out our way charge $100. You'll need to ring around and get someone close to do it for you if the cars not mobile.

Cheers Glenn, having a closer look today, im now confused as to whether the e24 even has air con, if there a tank similar to what is in my e30? (looks like a smaller fire extinguisher) somewhere? Or does it work a different way, I had a look on realoem.com but that didn't help.

Cheers,

Alex.

if it has a/c it will have an a/c button..if there is no a/c button it wont have a/c.Not to mention the pipes and compressor in the engine bay

Please dispose of the gas properly, rather than just release it into the atmosphere. It is hard enough for pasty white guys like me with the little ozone layer we have left. Don't make it any worse!!

Cheers

Grant

ahhh theres the tricky bit, the dash is a bit broken and if there was a button, its gone now, i've got a picture here,I dont know m30's at all, is the bottom arrow the compressor? a pipe runs to the upper arrow from it,

post-1848-1207694795_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

Alex.

Please dispose of the gas properly, rather than just release it into the atmosphere. It is hard enough for pasty white guys like me with the little ozone layer we have left. Don't make it any worse!!

Cheers

Grant

?!

If i have aircon of course i'll despose of it properly!

ahhh theres the tricky bit, the dash is a bit broken and if there was a button, its gone now, i've got a picture here,I dont know m30's at all, is the bottom arrow the compressor? a pipe runs to the upper arrow from it,

post-1848-1207694795_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

Alex.

Thats the power steering pump & resevoir

Cool, I don't think its got AC in that case.. however I did pull out an electric fan from in front of the radiator.. No button I can see in the dash, and no compressor, did they get that fan regardless?

Edited by QuickSilver