Sign in to follow this  
Greg111

750i

Not what I would call a "bargain".

The V12's are less desirable than V8's. Huge cost of running and high maintenance, you won't be able to get mechanical breakdown insurance (a warranty) for one. Also, the V12 is only available in LWB format, which is a lot less desirable as it affects the handling and won't fit into a standard garage.

So, it looks prima facie to be a great buy, but a 740 will always be a much better option...

Not what I'd call a bargain either, as much as i LOVE 750's.. ALL E38's 'break down', in the most unimaginable ways too... or should we just say all 7's break down haha

also, they did come in SWB, but not so common.

Not what I would call a "bargain".

The V12's are less desirable than V8's. Huge cost of running and high maintenance, you won't be able to get mechanical breakdown insurance (a warranty) for one. Also, the V12 is only available in LWB format, which is a lot less desirable as it affects the handling and won't fit into a standard garage.

So, it looks prima facie to be a great buy, but a 740 will always be a much better option...

Im sorry mate but those statements are just rubbish. Apart from the first one! Ive seen a couple of fully spec'd 750's go for under 30k recently so its not that much of a bargain.

Anyway, the V12 is well known for being an easier engine to work on and for being a much more 'simple' engine in terms of its techonology. For that reason its often considered much more desirable to buy a v12 than an v8.

The cost of running is high yes but what do you expect for something like that? Although to be fair its not a great deal worse than a v8 in the petrol stakes, it all depends how you drive it. Maintenance is like any car, you ignore it at your peril. My 750iL was well looked after and was the most trouble free car that Ive even owned.

750's are not all iL's either. They came in standard length as the 750i...funnily enough.

You also dont buy one of these for the handling. Having said that the EDC is rather good and they do rather well for a car over 2 tonne.

O.k not a bargain but still a cool looking, big motor vehicle, pretty much pure lux on the inside.

There was an EXTREMELY nice one at a yard in Welly recently. From memory it was NZ New, 80kms two owners, one being MD at BMW. On the yard at $27k Was a 750iL, but I think there is some confusion on what the 'L' means. My understaning is the L was the Luxury model, more high spec , not L for Long. Isnt it the L7 variant thats the limo version??

That wasnt a blue one was it Mark? I think I saw the same one.

It was an individual car for the BMW NZ MD at the time, dark blue with white leather and blue piping and was one of the best examples of a 750 Ive ever seen. It had everything ticked from the options list that one.

Incredible what you can get for 30k these days.

That wasnt a blue one was it Mark? I think I saw the same one.

It was an individual car for the BMW NZ MD at the time, dark blue with white leather and blue piping and was one of the best examples of a 750 Ive ever seen. It had everything ticked from the options list that one.

Incredible what you can get for 30k these days.

Yeah, thats the one.

I was sooooo tempted. Bargain for a $250k car. Especially when it only 7 years old

Yeah me too. I was in there looking at the ML500 they had as we needed something for the wife to carry the kids around in that doesnt break her back (long story but the touring is murder for her).

As soon as I saw it though I had to consider it as a dark horse, it was lovely....in the end the wife decided she wanted a Focus wagon so picked one of those up the other day :(

Still I get to keep the touring for myself and Im already thinking of mods :)

Still I get to keep the touring for myself and Im already thinking of mods :)

Allllllll goooooood.

I'm toying with spending on the 535. Throttle response seems a bit average, but not sure what I can do about that. Maybe its just the fact its done a heap of kms.??

Also, takes a bit for the gears to change down.........more or a delay than I would have though

I think there is some confusion on what the 'L' means. My understaning is the L was the Luxury model, more high spec , not L for Long. Isnt it the L7 variant thats the limo version??

L is for long, not luxury - "i" is about 5m total length, "iL" is about 5.1m, "L7" is about 5.4m.

My work mate has had an original 750i V12 for the last 4 or so years. Picked it up for about 11,000 as a trade in special. The only problem he's had is with the suspension (it was adjsutable and relied on high pressure oil, a sela burst. He's tracked all his costs and while maintence is expensive in temrs of 12 spark plugs a time (that sort of thing) it hasn't been that bad on a per km basis.

In terms of perfromance the E38 model 750's are only marginally faster than the 740, and only marginally more thirsty (according to the BMW manual).

My moto is enjoy such engineering wonders while we still can - if Labour stays in they may ban them or tax them off the roads to appease the greens.