Sign in to follow this  
ThreeOneEight

Windscreen washers

My windscreen washers have poor pressure flow, one of the outlets only just touches the screen with water and the other misses altogether. When the bonnet is opened, the little white/beige pressure pump thing at the base edge of the bonnet from which the hoses lead to and from appears to be leaking. Does anybody have one of these or know how to fix it?

Oh and it's a 1990 E30 318i

Cheers

That little T piece (six inches from the jets) is also a valve to stop syphoning back. They are common to fail with age -both leaking & blocking. Pull the supply hose off & see how the flow is - this will determine whether the valve or the pump is the problem, more likely valve.

very common problem for these valves to become brittle and leak - i glued one up once and it lasted another year or so but you are better off grabbing a new one. Also the jet nozzles do clog up so make sure they are clear.

Neither of my jets worked at all when I got my e30, so I left it for a month or so, then got just a little T joiner from repco or supercheap, just one for vacuum line.

Then I tried putting it in, and seeing as the top of the T wasnt as wide as the OEM one the pipes were about 1 inch too short, so I had to go buy some tubing as well, It was around half the price of a new one, but it wont stop siphoning back.

How bad is siphoning back?