Sign in to follow this  
Gus

Porsche

is anyone on here into them? I am learning more about them and liking em more and more...just need to drive one now! There are loads in London

Andy - I'm back on NFS Porsche too!

They're great. I've just ordered a Volkswagen.

Good cars, 911 is a flawed design, but I'd still own one. To qualify that, I'd own a Maserati too.

Edited by Cain

is anyone on here into them? I am learning more about them and liking em more and more...just need to drive one now! There are loads in London

Andy - I'm back on NFS Porsche too!

My old mans a bit of a porsche fiend.

There's many many cars I'd rather have.. but I couldn't say no to an early 70's 911 chrome on black with some red leather..

I quite like Porsches, had a few come through work, Boxters and Cayennes (Emma will tell you the time I chased her round Taka in one haha) mostly, oh and we had two fully race set up GT3's with like carbon fibre everything! Fun to drive although Boxters are a little tinny feeling, but still cool none the less.

Dad swapped his trashy Camaro for a 944 in the early 90's which lasted only briefly.. But last I heard he was looking at getting a 80's 911SC as a do-up which could be a bit of fun :D

"PORSCHE - THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE"

I have driven a few and in my opinion, nothing compares to a 911.

Have recently owned a Boxster 986 Convertible, was an awesome car to drive, just massively unpractical for an IT Engineer lol!

Absolutely beautiful vehicle to drive, not huge horsepower, but awesome sound & they have that X factor!

Mine was a 1998 Boxster 986 Manual 60km & NZ New - Was a very very good one, when buying a 2nd hand Porsche you need to do your research as it's easy to get a lemon or one that's been thrashed!

Posted Image

Posted Image

I would liked to have kept that car and had the E60 as a drive vehicle or the Touareg I've just bought. They're a pain in the ass of a car to use around town, but on a nice summers day on the open road it makes it all that worth while. They're farkin brilliant!!!!! The noise with the roof down at 6500RPM is awesome!

But last I heard he was looking at getting a 80's 911SC as a do-up which could be a bit of fun :D

Old man had one and so did my old boss, both 79's and both 3L manuals, awesome to drive but they BOTH used a lot of oil, think its something to do with that 3L engine.

This is more me.. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-149572141.htm mmmmm

I don't know too much about them really but Im a porsche fan, just reckon they're cool cars. kinda cool how the stubborn bastards just kept refining the 911 instead of develop something that made more sense

I am a Porschephile!

So am I, the old man loves them, hes had his gran prix white 1987 911 carrera convertible 3.2 with the g50 gearbox for 15yrs lol Franks had several different porkies,2x 911 tt,gt3s,gt2 etc AMAZING!

Who doesn't like Porsches? I too don't know much about them but want to have one someday. They're beautiful cars and from what I've heard they're the ultimate driver's car, anyone know if that's true? Would you rather have a Porsche or a Ferrari?

Edited by Yuen

they seem to be well known for oil leaks - something to do with being air cooled

i like the older ones..seem to have an awful lot of character...would be a bit of a toss up with an e30 m3 i reckon for the $20k-$30k bracket (maybe....havent investigated 911s $$ in nz)

loving the 993's, 964's

Autocars Chris Harris has an awesome lime green project 911...trying to find out the mods he has done....its about as quick as an e92 m3 in an old school body

I was tempted by a 944 turbo manual not long back, and by a 5.0 928.. mmm 288hp. I don't think it would make a very good daily driver though.

My dad races a 911 C3, and my mum has a 987. Both are wicked cars. The old school 911's are just awsome, so much character and drive great. Iv also had a ride around Puke in a GT3 race car... :D

Edited by E30-IS

they seem to be well known for oil leaks - something to do with being air cooled

i like the older ones..seem to have an awful lot of character...would be a bit of a toss up with an e30 m3 i reckon for the $20k-$30k bracket (maybe....havent investigated 911s $$ in nz)

loving the 993's, 964's

Autocars Chris Harris has an awesome lime green project 911...trying to find out the mods he has done....its about as quick as an e92 m3 in an old school body

$20-30k doesn't get much of a 911 here from what I've seen. Think the daggy end of late 70's/early 80's.

I thought seriously about 944S2/Turbo a couple of years ago, but practicality got in the way. Research suggested that even "cheap" older Porsches would be expensive to use daily - I guess M-car rather than plain BMW prices.

My choice would be 968CS or 993

Any details?

I've got one a bit like that - a '69 with a 270hp 3.2 litre engine (in slightly over 1 tonne). Its ... "interesting" to drive, especially as it only has 205/50s at both ends, and the brakes are unassisted. And its left hand drive.

I really should sell it - I'm not doing it justice. All it needs is new carpet and a paint/body job to look like whatever early Porsche race car suits (eg '73 911RS or RSR).

$20-30k doesn't get much of a 911 here from what I've seen. Think the daggy end of late 70's/early 80's.

I thought seriously about 944S2/Turbo a couple of years ago, but practicality got in the way. Research suggested that even "cheap" older Porsches would be expensive to use daily - I guess M-car rather than plain BMW prices.

My choice would be 968CS or 993

A Porsche will always be desirable and one of the lowest depreciation rates of any brand.

My bet is that a 993 (1993-98) being the last of the air cooled will be a future classic. If I had some spare dosh I would buy one now. Mint 993 TT's are still fetching $150k!

911's are just getting better and better. The latest Motor magazine put the Carrera S ahead of the Audi R8 and BMW M6.

All of you cynics really need to drive one. Its a life changing experience

It's true - they are very different to drive. No weight over the front so fantastic steering. The older cars (pre 90s) are light and fast (the newer ones are heavier and fast). They're narrow - small, much smaller than an E30. Small like 2002 small.

Shitty gearbox on the older ones, with floor mounted pedals, oooh and they sound great. Basically heaps of character.

Mine:

Posted Image

And an indicative example of what I'd make it look like if I had a further $10-15k to spare:

http://www.early911.co.uk/html/2_8rsr-recreation.html

I like the new GT3 RS, not to keen on the new 997 Turbo or the 996 years.. The Boxster is nice but would ultimately take a BMW over one.

Posted Image

themotorreport.com.au

The 1993 964 Turbo would have to be an all time favourite of mine.

Posted Image

www.butzi.cz

Any details?

I've got one a bit like that - a '69 with a 270hp 3.2 litre engine (in slightly over 1 tonne). Its ... "interesting" to drive, especially as it only has 205/50s at both ends, and the brakes are unassisted. And its left hand drive.

I really should sell it - I'm not doing it justice. All it needs is new carpet and a paint/body job to look like whatever early Porsche race car suits (eg '73 911RS or RSR).

Cam, what sort of $$ is one like yours worth? I really like yours...looks nice. I love the older, simple clean lines

that is the same shape as the one I mentioned...I think he has around 300hp so slightly more power (as you would expect for the crazy money he has spent on it) but I can imagine they go very well indeed..they weigh bugger all!

they are tiny...you don't always realise it till you see it next to the newer 996 and 997.

i really like the 997 GT2...so tough!

whats the deal with dry sumping? I know a lot of the older air cooled models were..what sort of % were or were they all dry sump?

parts are EXPENSIVE....m car expensive not even normal BMW expensive.Woulds till like to try one tho.