Sign in to follow this  
drifty325i

Need a new RPM gauge for the v8

Couldn't hook up the old BMW Tach to the v8 :( quite gutted really as i want to keep it looking factoryish.

So I've decided to buy an external gauge and fit that instead. As u can see i like the black gauges as it suits the car better

1) I like the look of this setup its clean tidy and affective,and the rpm gauge does not read to 10,000rpm like most

Also its at eye level so easy to read while spirited driving 2.5inch size

Posted Image

Posted Image

2) This gauge is nice, 2inch size, id prob just put a gauge pod on the steering colum in-front of the factory tach,or mount it in the coin holder bit in front of the gear leaver with a flat plate behind it so its flush and tidy

Posted Image

This is the pod id use :) tidy look i feel

Posted Image

3) or this wee sucker above the steering wheel

Posted Image

Posted Image

Whats your guys thoughts? i don't really want to spend alot, Ive looked into the digital link g3 display but thats $1000 so bugger that lol

Could you remove the factor tach and put an aftermarket one in the same place? Maybe you could even use the "faceplate" thing of the factory tach, so all you change is the mechanical workings of it?

What do you mean you can't hook up the tacho??

Off the top of my head, grab a E30 4cyl tacho, wire up to one of the dizzy inputs (you have 2 on the 1UZ, 8cyl/2=4cyl).

I would have thought the Link could output a 1/2rpm signal for a 4cyl tacho, or even better a 3/4 for a 6cyl tacho.

OR if it's running wasted spark then it is already spitting out a 4cyl signal to the coils.

Just to tease, mine works fine from the 1JZ signal :P

Could you remove the factor tach and put an aftermarket one in the same place? Maybe you could even use the "faceplate" thing of the factory tach, so all you change is the mechanical workings of it?

Thats what ive been thinking about, ive seen it done and it can work. cheers

What do you mean you can't hook up the tacho??

Off the top of my head, grab a E30 4cyl tacho, wire up to one of the dizzy inputs (you have 2 on the 1UZ, 8cyl/2=4cyl).

I would have thought the Link could output a 1/2rpm signal for a 4cyl tacho, or even better a 3/4 for a 6cyl tacho.

OR if it's running wasted spark then it is already spitting out a 4cyl signal to the coils.

Just to tease, mine works fine from the 1JZ signal :P

The boys from parrotts here in chch said it would a total mission and as i don't have much knowledge on the auto electrical side of things im pretty confused lol. Ill check up on the link side of it, but ive talked to a few link experts and they have said to get an external one

Just taken apart the factory cluster, and taken out the factory RPM Tacho I think I'm going to fit an aftermarket one in the same spot. Ive gotta get one thats close to 100mm wide or 4inchs to fit tightly

use the original tacho - anyone who says it cant be done or is too hard is lazy! As Glenn said it's just a matter of getting the right signal to it.

If you do for some wierd reason decide to get an external gauge - i'd choose autometer above autogauge everytime! www.autometer.com

8 cylinder & 4 cylinder signals are the same. Get an instrument repairer to sort it for you. Shouldnt be a big deal at all. And should be cheaper....if you get the right guy. Thats a big problem for you guys who live outside the big smoke zone.

Ok so ive decided to do it myself and fit an aftermarket gauge in the factory spot, I want the shift light lol and its fairly easy to mount a new gauge :)

Here are my options

1) Option one is nice, its cheap (me poor at the moment) $75bucks! will fit nice, down side 10k rpm readout but i can live with that, and its got a shift light

Posted Image

2) Option two is very nice but im guessing expensive? Autogage model 2300 anyone got mates in the industry that could hook me up :)?

Posted Image

3)Option three my favorite but im guessing very expensive? ill try find some pricing, perfect 8k rpm readout and shift light, will fit snug to :)

Posted Image

How the hell you going to fit that ?? Theres not enough clearance for the circuit board in your instrument cluster. Take it out and have a look.

Better still.....call me

Edited by botanymotorworx

My vote is option 3. Looks really nice

There is no room to fit it inside the cluster. The circuit board is behind the instruments. Its not a big hole behind there.....have a look

There is no room to fit it inside the cluster. The circuit board is behind the instruments. Its not a big hole behind there.....have a look

I have no doubt you're right Glen, just saying its my favourite.

I have no doubt you're right Glen, just saying its my favourite.

I knew that....I'm just trying to get through to everybody, that theres no friggen big hole behind the rev counter to fit any of those.

Edited by botanymotorworx

Dear Riley

Please do not ruin your instrument cluster and dash by fitting an after market bohemoth of a gauge, especially just for the sake of a little shift light. Use the stock gauge and get it working properly, it will look 100 times better and will probably cost less. If you desire a shift light, fit one seperately, you want to be able to adjust it anyway, which wouldn't be so easy if it is behind the clear instrument panel cover.

Yours Sincerely

Ollie

Im with the opinion that factory would look the best and no doubt attract less attention.

However if you do look at aftermarket contact Pioneer auto parts as they are the importer of Auto meter and another brand and you might save yourself a few bob.

Sorry fella, Im with the others. Do what you can to get your stock tacho going. But if thats not a goer, then please please please dont go all rice and stick one on the dash.

Youve done a cracking job on the car, dont spoil it by compromising at the final hurdle.

Unless of course you want a huge tacho on the dash, then go for it ;)

Don't get a moster tach whatever you do...They are on an even par with rice cannons in my opinion.

Absolutely with Glen.

Firstly - NO room in cluster for aftermarket.

Secondly - Dont butcher!

Thirdly - As Glen said - should be no reason the original couldn't be recalibrated to suit by a decent instrument repair outfit. IMO the best solution by far!

Get something discreet and almost factory looking that mounts in the dash somewhere, not above or on the dash or you'll run the risk of 'rice' factor.

If you have to go after market then get something nice like an autometer, autogauge is fairly cheap in my opinion.

Not quite sure why you'd need a shift light unless you plan on having this on the track a lot.

[Edit] Typo

Edited by Hi-Tek

Right after all your guys input and help, I'm going to stick with the original rpm gauge :) I really wanted to use it in the first place but it was really hard to find someone with more knowledge than me to help. But like Ollie said the factory one "will look 100 times better and will probably cost less"

Glen has so kindly offered to help (what a legend and a great guy) he has an immense knowledge on BMWs and is a big help, will keep you updated with the progress. Thankyou to all

Riley