Sign in to follow this  
Simo

Airbag Warning Light E36

Annoying little problem with airbag warning light, stays on for about 2 minutes and then goes off, VTNZ failed its warrant because it must go off after 6 secs following ignition, any heads up on possible cause, is it linked to the seatbelt connection, the seatbelt is engaged when the car is started, thanks in advance

A lot of the time (hopefully) its only the wires under the seat becoming loose. This isn't a terribly difficult fix.

Worse case scenario (worth a couple of grand) is needing to replace the airbag control unit.

Best bet is to get it on a diagnostic machine and go from there.

A lot of the time (hopefully) its only the wires under the seat becoming loose. This isn't a terribly difficult fix.

Worse case scenario (worth a couple of grand) is needing to replace the airbag control unit.

Best bet is to get it on a diagnostic machine and go from there.

Sorry, but the only right thing you said here was: "Best bet is to get it on a diagnostic machine and go from there."

Cheers

Glenn

Sorry, but the only right thing you said here was: "Best bet is to get it on a diagnostic machine and go from there."

Cheers

Glenn

Thanks Glenn, got McMillans to run the diagnostics on the car, found the drivers seat mat sensor faulty, got quoted some telephone numbers to fix though, so considering the options, any suggestions would be appreciated

Edited by Simo

Thanks Glenn, got McMillans to run the diagnostics on the car, found the drivers seat mat sensor faulty, got quoted some telephone numbers to fix though, so considering the options, any suggestions would be appreciated

Ring me tomorrow Ph. 2991366 I'll be home "painting"

Don't realise driver seat has seat sensor mat. Make sure they didn't use the LHD system to diagnose your car, if so, it would mean the passenger seat.

Had some problem with the passenger seat mat before, got an auto-sparky to work some magic to trick the system. It's not an "official" fix of course and it beats the purpose of having the mat in the first place, but the airbag will still fire when needed which is all I care.

Don't realise driver seat has seat sensor mat. Make sure they didn't use the LHD system to diagnose your car, if so, it would mean the passenger seat.

Had some problem with the passenger seat mat before, got an auto-sparky to work some magic to trick the system. It's not an "official" fix of course and it beats the purpose of having the mat in the first place, but the airbag will still fire when needed which is all I care.

There are no sensor matts in drivers seats, only passengers. The car knows that there is someone in the drivers seat, by the car going and moving. The sensor matt senses a passenger only, to activate the passengers air bag. Its not necessary to have one in the drivers seat.

As for "tricks"... well thats just dodgy, it may or may not work. Remember, this is a safety system. Ask the GF or wife how safe she feels

My airbag control unit costed me a pretty $2,000+, all because my electric seat grabed the wire under it and pulled it out of its plug, refitting didn't do sh*t.

As for "tricks"... well thats just dodgy, it may or may not work. Remember, this is a safety system. Ask the GF or wife how safe she feels

I would not for a world to sacrifice my dearest's safety. I did consider that. The trick is such that it simulate the seat is always occupied. Hence the passenger airbag will fire with or without a passenger.

All fixed, a Westie auto electrician sorted it by some techo magic, and yes, the diagnostics from McMillians stated seat mat sensor, presumption it was the drivers side on my part, new part from Pelicans is $US109.25, still may need this if light comes on again. The westie sparkie said that this is a common problem in older E36's, and the solution was referred to back a few threads, the sensor mat is bypassed and the airbag will activate under normal driving conditions.

My E36 is the same

Sparky will fix for $200, Make the system think some one is on the passenger seat all the time.

Not a perfect fix but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

My E36 is the same

Sparky will fix for $200, Make the system think some one is on the passenger seat all the time.

Not a perfect fix but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Each to there own.

But tell me... if you had an accident and the passengers airbag & pre-tensioner didn't activate and your G/F or wife got seriously injured due to the fact of this....who would you hold responsible ???

Personaly and from a business liability possition... I would never do such a thing.

Something to think about ???

Each to there own.

But tell me... if you had an accident and the passengers airbag & pre-tensioner didn't activate and your G/F or wife got seriously injured due to the fact of this....who would you hold responsible ???

Personaly and from a business liability possition... I would never do such a thing.

The thing is this "fix" make the system think there is always someone in the passenger seat so the air bag will go off even if there is no-one in the seat. I think this is OK and the sparky, who by the way is an avid BMW fan, thinks it is one of the better ways to fix and yes I could buy a new sensor and have it fitted but the next time someone kneels on the front seat to reach something in the back the sensor will get crushed again.

So tell me how much do the sensors cost, that is a BMW OE part not one of the bits from china.

Each to there own.

Well put Glenn - there are too many idiots out there on the roads to take any chance with safety systems. A few years ago (when I was 10 ft tall and bulletproof) I wouldn't have worried about ABS or Air Bags, but wouldn't touch anything without them today.

What about the person that ends up with the car next and thinks everything is ship shape with the air bags?....

I guess it is like buying a motorcycle helmet. You can find one for $50, or $1500. How much value do you place on your head?

That's what I was thinking - is there a way to detect if this 'fix' has been administered to cars we buy? Can we find out by scanning, I'm guessing not since it doesn't throw a code.

I think this is a criminally negligent action to take, and the auto electrician who did this "fix" should be reported to the authorities and have suitable action taken against him. You. as the owner/driver, are just as much to blame and should hang your head in shame.

It is easy to detect if this has been tampered with, the wiring loom to the passenger seat will have been modified, probably under the seat. A trip to a "decent" auto electrician would quickly confirm it.

Criminally negligent is a bit harsh I think (semmantics maybe?), and the OEM BMW pricing of parts may have something to do with the decision to take short cuts. But I do think it is unprofessional of an auto electrician to do that and wouldn't do that myself unless it was a temporary measure. If you buy a top end car, I guess you have to be prepared to accept higher maintenance bills.

Slightly off topic - a few years back I test drove a VR6 golf which locked brakes when I really hit them. The ABS light came on, and then went off again as normal after restarting the engine. To me, that is a fault as the ABS isn't doing its job even though the system is restarting normally and the light is going out implying that all is fine. Ended up walking away from that one, but shows that you can't be too careful when buying second hand.

Criminally negligent is a bit harsh I think (semmantics maybe?), and the OEM BMW pricing of parts may have something to do with the decision to take short cuts. But I do think it is unprofessional of an auto electrician to do that and wouldn't do that myself unless it was a temporary measure. If you buy a top end car, I guess you have to be prepared to accept higher maintenance bills.

Slightly off topic - a few years back I test drove a VR6 golf which locked brakes when I really hit them. The ABS light came on, and then went off again as normal after restarting the engine. To me, that is a fault as the ABS isn't doing its job even though the system is restarting normally and the light is going out implying that all is fine. Ended up walking away from that one, but shows that you can't be too careful when buying second hand.

As a sparky, I agree - although it can be done, it shouldnt.

As already said - some unsuspecting future buyer will have no idea of this & although, yes it could be identified when looked for - who would suspect to look for in the first place? No, it wouldn't throw a code either as the mat resistance is being replicated so there is nothing out of sinc as far as airbag diagnostics are concerned.

Agreed, price will often come into this equation as a reason to cheat it - maybe this issue should be looked at by the franchises/suppliers?

Also agreed - in this case there will likely be no problem in regards to airbag deployment, but this doesn't make it right.

If you buy a top end car, I guess you have to be prepared to accept higher maintenance bills.

Would I call my beema a top end car - NO I wouldn't why because it cost the same as a toyota/mazda/ford of the same vintage. I was actually looking for a Falcon XR6 when I got my Beema and the average price for the Falcon was the same as the Beema, High end I dont think just an average car for an average price abeit a very nice car.

I've said my bit in another post. I dont agree with what you/he has done....however, I'd just like to point out that your "Westy Sparkie" actually ripped you off :wacko:

$5 worth of materials and 15 minutes work = $200 .... I think not. Must have a great hourly charge rate.

Being a BMW "fan" does that justify what he did ??

Being a BMW "fan" does not make him an expert either

Doing this does make him stupid though... mind you, he screwed you for $200

If you had bought this car and discovered what you now have done, you would be on here bleating about it ??? and if I had, I'd be pissed off too.

I too, can do this sort of thing, I also have the software to change any odometer readings in OBD II ECU's on any vehicle with that system

I choose not to do "fixes" because ethically, I think it borders on "criminal activity" AND I WONT DO IT

Knowledge is great, using knowledge the wrong way is not so great.

Think about what we are trying to get through to you and others on here. Your SRS light works to get a WOF, but the car isnt truly repaired and may not be safe. You have just waisted $200 for a temporary "fix" that may or may not work. I really hope you never sell it like that, with the "fix" still in place.

I have also seen SRS & ABS self check lights hooked up to the battery lights in the instrument clusters as well to fool WOF inspectors. But they are onto this now. The SRS & ABS lights must self check without the motor running.

Kneeling on them will not damage them, an old one maybe, they deteriorate with age. And although it may scan "occupancy sensor" it may not be the mat itself. Scan tools are a tool, you still need experience to fix these problems. Plug connections, the control unit under the seat & wiring can also create the same fault code.

Edited by botanymotorworx

Kneeling on them wont damage them?

Well a 90 kilo kid knelt on my seat and the light come on straight away so it might be just a coincidence that happened or it might be the fact the kid knelt on the seat.

AND no-one has told me the OE part cost yet wonder why. I was quoted $1200 from dealer for part and fitting, anyone got a better price, and I have to take car out of town and stay over night so they can "test" it. Total it would cost me approx $1500. Might get it fixed proper when I will lotto.

Edited by sp8s

Kneeling on them wont damage them?

Well a 90 kilo kid knelt on my seat and the light come on straight away so it might be just a coincidence that happened or it might be the fact the kid knelt on the seat.

AND no-one has told me the OE part cost yet wonder why. I was quoted $1200 from dealer for part and fitting, anyone got a better price, and I have to take car out of town and stay over night so they can "test" it. Total it would cost me approx $1500. Might get it fixed proper when I will lotto.

Give me your chassis # and tell me if you have sport seats or not ??

I'll give you my price to do it tomorrow. The matts are approx $200-$300, but your car might have the earlier type cushion in it which would need to be replaced as well and it would also depend on what your "sparky" has done now too

Give me your chassis # and tell me if you have sport seats or not ??

I'll give you my price to do it tomorrow. The matts are approx $200-$300, but your car might have the earlier type cushion in it which would need to be replaced as well and it would also depend on what your "sparky" has done now too

Chassis number WBACG82010KE75567 and got sport seats as it is a MotorSport version 318ti 1997 compact.

Dont think you could do tomorrow as I am in Timaru :D bit late at night to catch the first ferry in the morning.

Not had the "fix" done yet so if you could supply the part for the same price then thats what I will do. Fitting not really a problem as I have been playing with cars for years and done some serious sh*t with them over the years (V8s into 100e prefects etc :P )

Chassis number WBACG82010KE75567 and got sport seats as it is a MotorSport version 318ti 1997 compact.

Dont think you could do tomorrow as I am in Timaru :D bit late at night to catch the first ferry in the morning.

Not had the "fix" done yet so if you could supply the part for the same price then thats what I will do. Fitting not really a problem as I have been playing with cars for years and done some serious sh*t with them over the years (V8s into 100e prefects etc :P )

Your car is production date 07/97 (same car as mine)

We would need to establish if your car has the mat under the cushion or on top

If it is fitted under the cushion on your car presently, it will need the cushion mod as well. 90% of the time you don't need the control unit, you wont know untill you fit the mat first. BMW recommend that this is replaced as well.

Sensor mat $283.87 + GST

Control unit $176.75

Cushion $317.31

Trim wires $ 4.24

All prices + GST I can do it less 10% discount + freight

You will also need some Ogg rings and special Ogg ring pliers for these as well. You get these from an Automotive Upholsteres suppliers. Closest for you would be someone in ChCh maybe. Pliers cost about $30.

Once its installed you would need the fault codes cleared.

Edited by botanymotorworx