Sign in to follow this  
Boost Junky

Boost Junky: 2nd Saga - M50-T Project

So I got my injectors today... They are RX7 Redtop 550cc injectors, high impendance and fit the factory rail. The injectors were flow tested and all seals were replaced with new ones. I think he flowed my factory M50 injectors at around 180cc so the RX7 injectors flow much higher!

RX7 Injector is the top Red one:

Posted Image

This is the factory M50 fuel rail:

Posted Image

Here I have cut the factory FPR off the end and will have it welded closed with a hose fitting on the end for the fuel return line which will run to the aftermarket RRFPR:

Posted Image

I also received my BC Gold Coilovers on Monday. They have 30 levels of damper adjustment and are height adjustable front and rear. The springs are rated at 8kg which seem pretty stiff, the front top hats have camber adjustment also.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Now I just need some fine weather to install all these items then exhaust and of too the tuners :D

Im still deciding wether to run a muffler as it is suprisingly quite with the turbo on there. Keep your eyes peeled for more updates comming soon people.

Cheers, Luke ;)

Edited by Boost Junky

I love Luke how you are doing everything so well. Everything to the highest quality possible.

So many people skip out on the important bits like brakes and suspension.

An example of late is Scott 'IPLEZR' i'd say the main reason he wrote that thing off was because he concentrated so much on power and left the important stuff till it was to late. Now he is left with a mangled wreck.

Good on you Luke..

That car is a credit to you

That's 450lb - a bit on the stiff side. It is what JiB has in his 325i and its fine.I'd definitely be ok with that personally.

Edited by CamB

Awesome, make sure you share the results of tuning!

Are you still gonna go 5 stud/solid mount rear? I'm assuming the BC's are for E30? Or E36?

That's 450lb - a bit on the stiff side. It is what JiB has in his 325i and its fine.I'd definitely be ok with that personally.

I think mine are 475lb. Imho, 450lb front is quite stiff for a road car and might not be so good with low profile street compound rubber and big wheels. Swapping the springs for softer items shouldn't be hard or expensive as long as the ID needed are readily available. Was $180+gst (?) for the my front pair if I remember correctly?

With 475 front and 650 rear traction is sometimes an issue with Toyo Proxes4 on 16's if the road surface is moist or isn't the best. My spring rates and setup only really work well when on softer r888's.

But at least your springs are all 2x longer than mine so you'll have decent travel...unlike my 3 wheeling shitbox <_<

Then again, your car has more weight in it and if you plan on running the car really low (would look pimp with those wheels) then I guess those spring rates would be better suited for keeping the bits off the ground?

Awesome, make sure you share the results of tuning!

Are you still gonna go 5 stud/solid mount rear? I'm assuming the BC's are for E30? Or E36?

Already is 5?

wwooooooo something new everyday :D awesomeness!! :D

How much do decent coilovers like that cost? Want to put my setup in perspective.

How much do decent coilovers like that cost? Want to put my setup in perspective.

Lots of $$$ Oh and your soul Graham. (of course I don't actually have any idea)

Luke. Looking f**king awesome. What else can I say?

Edited by QuickSilver

I love Luke how you are doing everything so well. Everything to the highest quality possible.

So many people skip out on the important bits like brakes and suspension.

An example of late is Scott 'IPLEZR' i'd say the main reason he wrote that thing off was because he concentrated so much on power and left the important stuff till it was to late. Now he is left with a mangled wreck.

Good on you Luke..

That car is a credit to you

Thanks Chris :D I wouldnt say everything is to the highest quality haha.... was a bit jimmyed up redrilling the strut towers but I think it will work! Thanks aye im real happy with the car man.

Yea they are rather stiff Cam but should be really nice on the track and yea im definitely ok with it! When you have a drive Cam let me know if your ok with it hahah!

Yep will do Jib if it finally ever makes it to the tuner lol. Yep the front is already 5 stud and got the front coilovers in just finished 10mins ago. As for the rear i may just use urethane bushes to mount the rear sub frame now they should tighten the rear up alot more and will most likely do all the other bushes as well.

The BC's are for E36 hence why I have had to redrill the front strut toweres. Not quite happy with how they turned out but I think the allignment should fix that. Yea im just gonna leave the springs as they are for now and see how she rides but I dont think I will change them cause the car is eventually going be more of a track car. What does your car ride like on the track with the R888's?

Haha why are my springs 2x longer that yours? It 3 wheels haha?

Mine had no springs in before and when I drove it into the garage it 3 wheeled on the curb and i got stuck! Then the b#$%H lady down the road called noise control and a security guard turned up to tell me off... as soon as he saw my car he was hooked lol! ;)

wwooooooo something new everyday :D awesomeness!! :D

Yea just about Livi... hah when I can be bothered working on it after work hours! Spent 30hrs putting my motor back together last weekend!

Graham the BC Golds cost me $1450.. I get them at a real good price as I work at Partmaster and Phil in Wellington looks after us realy well, please dont go asking for that price anyone im probably not meant to tell you my cost haha!

Lots of $$$ Oh and your soul Graham. (of course I don't actually have any idea)

Luke. Looking f**king awesome. What else can I say?

Shot Alex appreciate the possitive comments, gives me more motivation to get her finished!

f**k me dead. I should have got coilovers.

f**k me dead. I should have got coilovers.

Haha Graham bare in mind im running E36 hub setup... although that has really only cost me $500 odd so far B) What did you end up running in your beast?

Oh my bad haha how far away do you rekon? Well the head should be machined etc within the next two weeks slap her back together and then just gotta make the exhaust. So hopefully early April she will be tuned.

Its all in and running now. Few things to tidy up first before the turbo stuff goes in tho.

Where did you get your AN fittings and braided line from? Approximate price for the line and fittings?

Hows your car going anyway?

Its all in and running now. Few things to tidy up first before the turbo stuff goes in tho.

Where did you get your AN fittings and braided line from? Approximate price for the line and fittings?

Hows your car going anyway?

Awesome man! What you got to tidy up?

Got all my AN fittings form an outlet next to my work called USA specialty products. Would have now roughly spent about $350 - $400 on lines and finttings.

Yea not bad aye just doing exhaust tommorow and then out to the tuners then just gotta make my wheels fit in the guards lol! I got my fuel rail back if you need a photo of how I set mine up?

Luke

Replace the rubber flex disc on the driveshaft, replace hanger bearing, put adjustable brake bias valve in, do the rear bushings etc, cut a few old brackets off that arent used anymore (afm etc), hook up idle control valve, and a few other little bits and pieces.

Oh, the AN fittings arent as expensive as people had told me then...

Pics of your fuel rail would be cool, why didnt you keep the standard one?

Replace the rubber flex disc on the driveshaft, replace hanger bearing, put adjustable brake bias valve in, do the rear bushings etc, cut a few old brackets off that arent used anymore (afm etc), hook up idle control valve, and a few other little bits and pieces.

Oh, the AN fittings arent as expensive as people had told me then...

Pics of your fuel rail would be cool, why didnt you keep the standard one?

That would be your driveshaft coupling, think i mite replace that and hanger bearing too when i go for my cert. Sweet sounds like you only have minor things like me to do. Me and a friend made my downpipe up today ended up having to undo the steering arm to get the downpipe on and off, bugger!

Heres the photos of my modified fuel rail for you:

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can see on the end of the fuel rail here the factory fuel pressure regulator has been cut off then we just blanked the end of the fuel rail off with a piece of steel and welder, then we just welded the return fitting back onto it. This will now have the return line going over to my Rising rate fuel pressure regulator. Hope that helps, you could weld on an AN fitting ther instead of the old factory pipe fitting as you are using AN fittings correct?

Oh I see, you just modified it so you can run an aftermarket RRFPR correct?

Im planning on using the stock FPR.

Yeah, im using an fittings. They are purrdy ;)

Oh I see, you just modified it so you can run an aftermarket RRFPR correct?

Im planning on using the stock FPR.

Yeah, im using an fittings. They are purrdy ;)

Yes thats right haha I thought you said you were using an aftermarket RRFPR also? But yea the stock FPR is more than adequate as others have mentioned here on Bimmersport but my tuner insists I run one so I best not argue with him lol..

Haha yeap they sure do look purrdy but most of the lines going to your fuel rail you can not see haha! But I kinda wanna put flash AN fitting on mine now lol

Update time again people..

So I have been making very slow progression on the exhaust system of my to be monster. Half the trouble was having acess to a welder with my mate being busy all the time so me and Dad decided to chip in together on a TIG welder. Purchased a XARC-160 TIG from a local engineering supplier here in NP.

XARC-160

Posted Image

At the most I had done about an hours practice over the period of the last 2 months with a TIG and managed to pick it up pretty easy.. to the point i actually welded some of my exhaust together :D

I had to tidy up the welds alot of course with a grinder but it tidied up really nice, I naturally got my Dad to check them for peroisity and he cleaned up anything that looked suspicious, im pretty stoaked with my effort so far.

Heres the progress I have made on the exhaust and downpipe so far:

This is the crazy shape of the downpipe and the start of the rest of the exhaust from the flange. In order for the 3" Pipe to fit down past the block and steering arm I had to design it with this crazy twist:

Posted Image

This is how the downpipe fits coming of the back of the turbo and along the length of the exhaust manifold:

Posted Image

Hole for O2 sensor in the downpipe and in the second picture you can see the nut I cut in half for the O2 sensor to thread into:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Looking at the downpipe from under the car (You can see how it twists around the steering arm with sufficient clearance:

Posted Image

This is where the exhaust flange starts:

Posted Image

Here you can see the shape of the exhaust system and my beautiful welds :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Heres the exhaust bolted to the car:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The "To Do" list is gradually getting smaller :D

- Need to finish exhaust off, have rear muffler to weld on and make custom stainless tip etc.. Any ideas for the tip appreciated? I was thinking a dual pipe coming out the rear on an angle outwards.

- Add brace under the exhaust manifold to support all that heavy junk and brace the downpipe also.

- Manifold and downpipe will be wrapped down to the downpipe flange.

- Remove intake manifold to put fresh gaskets in and install my RX7 injectors and modified fuel rail for the SARD Rising rate FPR.

- Tralior car out to dyno tuners for LINK install and tune!

- Bigger front calipers, carriers and Brake rotors

- Last of all cert, wof

Also not really a necesity but I think I will install the 5 stud conversion on the rear (Front already done) and get the guards panelled to fit the 10" Rears and 9" front rims.

Luke

Edited by Boost Junky

Thats one big pipe! Looks badass. Pretty mad that you taught yourself to weld as well. Keep it up

Thats one big pipe! Looks badass. Pretty mad that you taught yourself to weld as well. Keep it up

Haha yea 3" is rather large, I notice especially when lowering the car back down to the ground its pretty close to the ground (like 60mm). Yea with a few pointers from Dad hes a very highly rated pressure vessel, maintanance and welding inspector. They will get better with practice though! Cheers Max ;)

Sweet man coming along nicely, i love it how you throw yourself in the deep end and teach yourself all this new stuff! best way to do it!

Will be round this w.e to check it out!

Sweet man coming along nicely, i love it how you throw yourself in the deep end and teach yourself all this new stuff! best way to do it!

Will be round this w.e to check it out!

Haha yea Blair only one way to get things done aye! Sweet we can discuss tip options etc

Pimp shiz Luke, nice job on the welding, I want a tig now. Get this beast done :D I will have a new toy soon so you better get it sorted before I am up :D

I wanna tig too - would even settle for a mig! - and time to learn to use it.

Awesome update - chunky. Have you routed the wastegate back into the downpipe yet?

Pimp shiz Luke, nice job on the welding, I want a tig now. Get this beast done :D I will have a new toy soon so you better get it sorted before I am up :D

Haha thanks Nath! Yea man if you can splash out the $ definitely invest in one.. Haha for sure wont be too long now I hope, got all my subframe bushing in etc but ill post that up when I create my 5 stud conversion write-up.

I wanna tig too - would even settle for a mig! - and time to learn to use it.

Awesome update - chunky. Have you routed the wastegate back into the downpipe yet?

Haha yea they are handy too have Cam. Yea mig would be appropriate alot faster than tig just not quite the quality, sufficient enough for exhaust and automotive though. Thats the main thing aye time to learn and motivation lol.

Not as yey Cam, will do so before I go for my cert and WOF and then it will be venting again after that :P