Sign in to follow this  
Markq

Replace/Repair E39 Door handle

Strangely, I opened the door to my car today and the handle(and only the handle) broke off. Metal gave up. strangest thing to ever happen to any cars I've owned. Is it hard to replace these?? My car have side airbags in the door so would want to play too much incase I set it off!!

Anyhow, I have attempted to GLUE it in place, so will see how Super Glue really is.

Any comments, ideas on replacement appreciated.

Ta

Mark

Are you going to see if the glue holds or are you just going to replace the handle. Have a Bentley Manual could have a read to see what it would involve to replace the handle if you wish. Or get it to a body shop and let them have I look may cost you a few extra $$$$$ thats all.

Are you going to see if the glue holds or are you just going to replace the handle. Have a Bentley Manual could have a read to see what it would involve to replace the handle if you wish. Or get it to a body shop and let them have I look may cost you a few extra $$$$$ thats all.

Trying glue. But dont think it'll support it or wether it will even stick.. If you could have a nosey at complexlity, that'd be great.

Probably made from the new age recyclable muck metal, blame the greenies.

Glue Seems to be doing it at the moment. Its gripping anyway.....so will leave it overnight and see how it feels in the morning.

PS: its the outside handle. So kinda annoying to be without it.

Glue Seems to be doing it at the moment. Its gripping anyway.....so will leave it overnight and see how it feels in the morning.

PS: its the outside handle. So kinda annoying to be without it.

i cant see it being that complex(famous last words)Interior door trim and if like the e 34 relaese the latches to enable the exterior trim to be removed.Probably best to disconnect the battery to make sure the airbag doesnt go off....Search the interweb,I bet there is a how to somewhere!

Would say you are expecting miracles for glue to hold.

Air bag - not an issue - just disconnect the battery first.

Have had a door handle assy out before but cant remember exact procedure, do recall it being a little fiddlely but not rocket science.

Really a case of removing the trim & lining & looking

Have had a door handle assy out before but cant remember exact procedure, do recall it being a little fiddlely but not rocket science.

Yip, glues crap. and idnt work, but ey, was worth a go. Will go in search of a new handle and have a play.

Cheers

Wow. So if a car has a crash in which the battery is instantly hit / out of action, the airbags wont work? Or is there a backup for them..

Wow. So if a car has a crash in which the battery is instantly hit / out of action, the airbags wont work? Or is there a backup for them..

The airbags will react before the battery gets destroyed. The body senses the impack as the impack occurs. Thats why the bodies of BMW's have so much technoligy & design work put into them.

I have had the same problem happen to my e39.. went to open drivers door and what the f**k.. the handle is attached to my hand, but the door is not open lol

To fix it it was pretty simple. Go to BMW and ask for a replacement, they will give you a new plastic replacement that is unpainted, should only cost 140 + gst Don't dare ask how much a painted one will cost, u will be surprised. I went to a panel beater and paid 40bux to have the handle painted. To install its easy as. Remove the inner door card, making sure not to break any clips. The handle just comes out once you move the sliding retention mechanism that holds the handle to the door skin. Put the new one in, and re-install airbag, door card, clips etc. Don't worry about the air bag, as long as u dont grab it by the cable it connects to and attempt to swing it it in to something rodeo style it will not deploy. The trickiest part is getting the inner door handle to connect to the outer handle.. its a nylon chord, and can be easily damaged if you butcher it. The power window unit has two connectors, slide the little handles u will see, and the connector will come right off.

hope this helps :-D

Howdy.

Well, I got the part and replaced the door handle. Was a pretty simple job actually. Lots of stuff to undo unlike the previous E34 I had. Couple of questions/problems.....

1. I removed the airbag which was pretty simple, put it back in, plugged it in etc......however now the airebag light shows constantly on the dash. Is there something that needs to be reset or have I f**k'd something up??

2. When I was putting it all back together I noticed a plug I didnt undo....its connected to the tweater in the door. The lower speaker attaches to the door and has an empty plug/socket that I thought it might fit, but the plug was slightly different. Is this tweater simply a optional upgrade?? but is in all models?? I dunno. But assume all four in the doors are the same. Any ideas??

Cheers

Mark

Did you have the battery disconnected while doing this? If not I think you my have to have the system re-set.

Not sure but some times their are extra plugs for other accessories if every thing is working in the sounds department and it is no danger of coursing a short don't try and find it a home.

Out of interest what holds the door handle to the door skin any how?

Did the info I sent you help at all?

Cheer Allan

Did you have the battery disconnected while doing this? If not I think you my have to have the system re-set.

Not sure but some times their are extra plugs for other accessories if every thing is working in the sounds department and it is no danger of coursing a short don't try and find it a home.

Out of interest what holds the door handle to the door skin any how?

Did the info I sent you help at all?

Cheer Allan

Hi Allan,

Yes, disconnected the battery before pulling it apart.

Strange on the audio......

The handle has a really simple sliding lock mechanism on the inside. You slide it one way to unlock (which free's up two feet at the bottom of the door handle) then slide back to lock it in again. Was a much easier job than I thought it would be. Not even fiddly.

Mark, how long did you wait between disconnecting the battery and unplugging the airbag? The last time we removed a steering wheel with airbag, we waited 10 minutes or more. From what I've read you're supposed to do that, or else it could throw the Airbag light. Anyway, to get rid of the light you'll need to get it reset by anyone with the right tool.

Howdy.

Well, I got the part and replaced the door handle. Was a pretty simple job actually. Lots of stuff to undo unlike the previous E34 I had. Couple of questions/problems.....

1. I removed the airbag which was pretty simple, put it back in, plugged it in etc......however now the airebag light shows constantly on the dash. Is there something that needs to be reset or have I f**k'd something up??

2. When I was putting it all back together I noticed a plug I didnt undo....its connected to the tweater in the door. The lower speaker attaches to the door and has an empty plug/socket that I thought it might fit, but the plug was slightly different. Is this tweater simply a optional upgrade?? but is in all models?? I dunno. But assume all four in the doors are the same. Any ideas??

Cheers

Mark

Mark

From memory the tweeter wiring plug connects to a crossover circuit board in the front of the door.

As Yuen said - yes you will need someone with a scanner to reset Airbag system. Agents or any decent sparky should have one