Sign in to follow this  
Grant

Tyres, Offsets, Lowering, Suspension Geometry Etc

Hi All

In light of the previous topic that was closed, I think that it would be a good idea if the people who know what they are talking about (Glenn, 3pedals, Zenetti) put together an article on how all of this works (tyre widths, offsets, lowering, suspension geometry) and once the article is completed it is made into a sticky.

This can then be the reference point for anyone that wants to add larger rims, wider tyres and lowered suspension.

Good idea???

Cheers

Grant

Hi All

In light of the previous topic that was closed, I think that it would be a good idea if the people who know what they are talking about (Glenn, 3pedals, Zenetti) put together an article on how all of this works (tyre widths, offsets, lowering, suspension geometry) and once the article is completed it is made into a sticky.

This can then be the reference point for anyone that wants to add larger rims, wider tyres and lowered suspension.

Good idea???

Cheers

Grant

I was thinking along those lines as well...totaly agree with the idea

Yeah - I've been thinking about that for awhile - to go in the FAQ, but never got past the thinking stage.

If someone has the time and inclination to do it and post it up as a FAQ, anyone with more info/changes can PM the author.

Thats a great idea, would certainly clarify a few issues with the correct terms to use etc.

I'm all in favour for this! Would love to learn more about the bits that hold us to the road :)

For the mean time I've found two very helpful sites when choosing tyres and rims.

Tyre Calculator

Offset Calculator

(sorry if they're reposts, just thought I'd share)

Yes please.

Hi All

Good idea???

Cheers

Grant

Good idea, would you want do basic rules or an more indepth guide specific to a chassis? Obviously what works on one chassis may not be ideal for another.

I notice sometimes even the guys who know there sh*t are in disagreement as to whats ideal, cover different view points or get them to agree?

Great idea guys, here's one for you to start with,

E28, 535i, manual, looking at coilovers on all 4 corners, have a set of 16 x 7 1/2's et 17 so far, what tyres should I be looking at, size and profile, for track and road?

Thanks.

Edited by Silver Fox

Thanks a lot 3pedals, just what I hoped to hear. So fronts should be 215/50/16, and rears 235/45/16 to fit my rims, or could I compromise for practicality's sake with 225/45/16's all round, to allow tyre rotation and make spares easier? These sizes and profiles are very close to the stock 195/65/15 standard wheels. Just going to do some research on the camber corrector thanks.

Just used this to find out about a set of wheels for an e30

From Bottle Caps:

Front:

Inner Clearance:18mm LESS

Outer Position:EXTEND an extra 70mm

Rear:

Inner Clearance:37mm LESS

Outer Position:EXTEND an extra 77mm

Might need some work done to fit properly

Just used this to find out about a set of wheels for an e30

From Bottle Caps:

Front:

Inner Clearance:18mm LESS

Outer Position:EXTEND an extra 70mm

Rear:

Inner Clearance:37mm LESS

Outer Position:EXTEND an extra 77mm

Might need some work done to fit properly

They sound too big/wrong for the car?

See what the forum suspension/tyre guru's say before you go ahead with them maybe.

They sound too big/wrong for the car?

See what the forum suspension/tyre guru's say before you go ahead with them maybe.

They're 9,5/10,5 thats why

I'll have to get a new car first then i'll think about them

Hey, I'm looking for wheels for an e34 1995, I'm going to go with 18" or 19" car sits at 100ml.

What offset would be perfect?

Hey, I'm looking for wheels for an e34 1995, I'm going to go with 18" or 19" car sits at 100ml.

What offset would be perfect?

depends what width wheel you want to run

Oh sorry, well 8 - 8.5

ideal offset 20et if its as low as youve said ,8.5 wide 15et will be very close to outer guard,just remember when buying aftermarket wheels make sure they are hub centric or you get correct size centre bore locating rings.or its going to be a real shakey ride.hit up johno(zenetti) he should have something..