Sign in to follow this  
Cale

Crap broadband speeds??

Whats going on?!?!

My Xtra broadband has gone real slow since yesterday :angry: I might aswell go back to Dial-up!

Up= ~70kbps

Down= ~50kbps

Is anyone else having issues?

What can I do?

Whats going on?!?!

My Xtra broadband has gone real slow since yesterday :angry: I might aswell go back to Dial-up!

Up= ~70kbps

Down= ~50kbps

Is anyone else having issues?

What can I do?

Oh yea by broadband's packed up on me last 2 nights. I'm with Slingshot so technically telecom and its been an 8th of usually speed lately.

Can speed it up a wee bit if your within ADSL2 area with a new modem or speeding up your pc may help slightly. Or i here good things about Telstra cable if your again in range.

@jeddy - Switch to TCL if cable is in your area

Lost mine completely on Saturday morn for 4 hrs, telecom have a fairly major router problem I'm told. Typical. :wacko:

@jeddy - Switch to TCL if cable is in your area

Nope its still about a kilometer away unfortunately.

There a sub group of telecom it appears. Do they run on the cable Telstra being laying?

come on, Slingshot is NOT technically telecom. It is Slingshot. They have their own equipment in the exchange now, and only use the lines which are rented from telecom wholesale..

Give my your landline number dude and ill check on it. Resetting you modem could help, or ill just check your ports at the exchange etc.

PM me

Also the exchanged are being upgraded to adsl2+, as well as cabnetisation going on at the mo. especially in aucks ,welly and chch. Network issues are inevitable during upgrading.

Soo: http://www.chorus.co.nz/n69,6.html

Lost mine completely on Saturday morn for 4 hrs, telecom have a fairly major router problem I'm told. Typical. :wacko:

Telecom using Thomson routers as of 8th May. No more modem resetting as they are self authenticating modems. They are pretty sex in white.

Telecom using Thomson routers as of 8th May. No more modem resetting as they are self authenticating modems. They are pretty sex in white.

Interesting to know, which part of telecom you work for? I work for Downer EDI Engineering.

Having flash routers in exhanges and cabinets does nothing to the performance of 50 year old cotton insulated copper in the ground / on poles or undersized fibre put in by Telecom.

Dlink modems do not self reset after outages, loss of authentication etc. Hence modem resets were necessary.

Thomson routers DO self reset and self authenticate, hence providing a more stable connection.

So it will help the performance thank you.

NZ Herald - Telecom broadband workers protest over pay

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story....jectid=10510042

Come on...

This issue has nothing to do with Telecom as theyre not a party to Downers Engineering employment contract.

It is a private matter between Downers and their employees and therefore Telecom will not intervene.

come on, Slingshot is NOT technically telecom. It is Slingshot. They have their own equipment in the exchange now, and only use the lines which are rented from telecom wholesale..

My point about this was that my speed will be affected by telecom users as Slingshot don't have there own lines.

Come on...

This issue has nothing to do with Telecom as theyre not a party to Downers Engineering employment contract.

It is a private matter between Downers and their employees and therefore Telecom will not intervene.

I think he posted that in response to me saying I worked for Downer.

I have had Telecom broadband for a while now... finally got so sick of the crap speeds and high prices that I have changed to Xnet. I was getting 10 gigs of bandwidth for $59.95 on Telecom.... now for the same price at Xnet I get 25 gigs!

Haven't tested out the speeds yet as I only switched last night, but my brother uses Xnet and says it's magic: Fast all the time even during peak hours. I personally can't wait for ADSL2 and the unbundling of Telecom's network.

This is the wrong website forum to be dicsussing broadband, i'd suggest navigating yourself to www.geekzone.co.nz and reading all the broadband topics there. They also have active vodafone and xnet representatives on the website that answer questions. Debating about it here will most likely lead to misinformation.

IMO, if you're in Auckland you're going to have to wait till the LLU and ADSL2 are completed before choosing your ISP/telco, if you're elsewhere like Chch (not in a TCL cable area) check out Xnet as they're producing the best adsl service ATM.

was at a friends yesterday. connect rates in his dlink were 256 down, 160 up.

Reset the modem, then got 4034 down, 160 up.

Modem resets are the best thing for a dlink modem

A lot of the performance (or lack of) you get is down to the over subscription rates of the service. ADSL2 won't do much for the end consumer unless the approperate levels of back haul network have been engineered correctly. It may help speed up NZ hosted sites , but unless more international bandwidth has been purchased it won't make much difference to the responses you see on your screen. A large area of the expense for ISP's is the wholesale cost of international bandwidth. Normally this is the highest area of over subscripton for NZ traffic with most of NZ's internet traffic being moved on the Southern Cross fibre cable system.

I think you'll find that the term Quality of Service is more about the priority of one traffic type over another rather than the quality or error rate of the cable between your home and the exchange equipment. Most NZ ISP's don't run "QOS" for consumer based networks. Having flash routers can help with the service your getting as they have improved technology which can drive copper pairs faster and may have newer error correction protocols than older equipement.

You have said exactly what i could not be bothered typing! Thanks!

VDSL ftw

I think he posted that in response to me saying I worked for Downer.

Yeah, sounds logical.. im an idiot :) I work in Hereford street. Back office job man :) BB retention they call it