Sign in to follow this  
emily-mouse

Help a female.

Yeah, I wish I new how to fix my baby, but I don't have the knowledge to. Female nature. Put it this way. Guy's (apart from drag queens) wouldn't have a clue how to apply a faceful of make up. :P

Anyways, to my question.

My car ticks, whenever it wants, sounds like a rotary (well not that bad). Not sure what is it. Or how to explain to a male who is in my household how to fix it.

The ticking goes away when I'm accelerating, sounds pretty loud "rollin" along or when it's idoling.

Hopefully someone knows what the hell I'm on about. I've been told by a mate it's the tappets. Something like that. *Shrugs*.

Thanks for the help in the past. Males aren't so bad. :)

If it's the M40 engine then it's probably the hydraulic lifters. If you don't get them fixed, either cleaned out or replaced it will eventually lead to a worn cam and a very sick motor. Would pay to get them checked.

There are other things that can cause this problem as well. I have to go in a min. The wifes birfday

I can elaborate tomorrow or ring me Emma

Cheers

Glenn

im in the area, could check it out if you want?

doesnt sound to serious, but never know, could be any thing

ive had some pretty stupid problems

haha

give me a text on 027 555 8985 or pm me

Cant help you there soz. I had a V6 that ticked naturally.. was told thats just what it does.. of course thats completely useless information to anyone..

but hey, +1 post count!

Cant help you there soz. I had a V6 that ticked naturally.. was told thats just what it does.. of course thats completely useless information to anyone..

but hey, +1 post count!

Its not a bloody competition

but hey, +1 post count!

Why ?? Its not a contest :P

haha, theres no counter for quality unfortunately...

If there was id be in the negitaves :D

my old car had a really bad tick (was a v6 also) so i ditched it at my parents house and got a bmw lol

It common 318 tick - cam lifters are worn - it wont affect driving - I did 100000kms on a ticking 318...its just annoying.

Keep her full of oil youll be sweet - if you get someone to look at it they will convince you to spend $$$ to rebuild top end etc so dont bother.

edit: If the tick comes and goes and/or is worse when cold - this is just the oil building up pressure in the lifters - hence my advise to keep the engine oil topped up. I ran mine slighty overfull to try and pressurize it some more - seemed to help a lil.

Edited by Maccoretti

My VR4 used to do the same thing, it was noisy lifters. Mitsubishi V6 are known for doing it. When you next get an oil change get some PROMAR put in. After I did that my VR4 purred like a kitten. When I sold it the guy couldn't believe how quiet it was.

My VR4 used to do the same thing, it was noisy lifters. Mitsubishi V6 are known for doing it. When you next get an oil change get some PROMAR put in. After I did that my VR4 purred like a kitten. When I sold it the guy couldn't believe how quiet it was.

Yeah I wondered when I read the first post if PRO-MA MBL8 works on BMW lifters the same as on Mitsi lifters. It is like magic on those Mitsis - they sound like they're dying without it and go completely quiet with it.

Before recommending Emma try it, does anyone know if it definitely works on BMWs (the problem on Mitsis is small orifices into the lifter get clogged up, and the MBL8 fixes it). If yes, I bought it at Segedins in Dominion Rd Auckland for +/- $35.

Emma - you need someone who knows what a noisy lifter/lifters sounds like to tell you if that's the problem before trying the stuff.

Edited by CamB

I tried using promar in my m20, didn't do sweet f all haha, i think m20's were made factory ticking away.

I tried using promar in my m20, didn't do sweet f all haha, i think m20's were made factory ticking away.

that would probably be because M20's don't have hydraulic lifters. The valve clearances are set manually.

I reccommended MBL8 to a M40 318i owner with noisy lifters and they said it made little to no difference.