Sign in to follow this  
the stig

Snapped Rocker

Have run into a bit of a problem with my E30

Took it into Jeff Grey yesterday and one of my rockers has snapped. Quoted me at least $1600 to fix becasue they have do do cambelt and everything else at same time.

They said the only way to snap the rocker is to hit the limiter?

Here is the problem, 3 weeks ago Jeff Grey adjusted the tappets on it. They still were ticky when I got it back. Is there a possibility that they over adjsuted them and this is what caused the rocker to break?

Such a pain as I have the Taupo driver training this weekend.

Thanks in advance

Nick

Guest Simon*

Grant told me last night mate

Bugger! Really sorry to hear about this

out of curiosity do you know which rocker is broken?

No, you don't have to hit the rev limiter to break them, though it is normally how they snap. Depending on what rocker it is you may be able to do it with the head on, remove whatever is in the way and pull the rocker shaft forward as far as you can and see if the rocker could be slipped off.

Or get real bodgy and weld the thing back up again, I've seen that done.

It does sound a bit dodgy that it snapped pretty quickly after a tappet adjustment. You could try hit up jeff gray about it but would be very hard to prove anything.

No, you don't have to hit the rev limiter to break them, though it is normally how they snap. Depending on what rocker it is you may be able to do it with the head on, remove whatever is in the way and pull the rocker shaft forward as far as you can and see if the rocker could be slipped off.

Or get real bodgy and weld the thing back up again, I've seen that done.

It does sound a bit dodgy that it snapped pretty quickly after a tappet adjustment. You could try hit up jeff gray about it but would be very hard to prove anything.

Yeh they guy said they cant do this because it is the wrong rocker, thay have to take everything out. Dad has gone to hit them up about it, but I doubt they will budge. Anyway, will see if they can do it for any cheaper or I will be counting Taupo out ha. But hey, sh*t happens

$1600 does sound reasonable. I'd broken a rocker before and had quotes much more towards the $2000+ to fix.

Does $1600 sound reasonable?

$1600? You could probably get a new head and fitted for that

Just do it yourself - it isn't particularly hard and you could have it done in a day.

I'm sure someone down there can give you a hand. Doesn't Doug have heaps of free time?

Just do it yourself - it isn't particularly hard and you could have it done in a day.

I'm sure someone down there can give you a hand. Doesn't Doug have heaps of free time?

All the time in the world as im living off the money you invested bahaha

PM me your address and I will send you a couple of spare rockers (I presume this is an M20 motor)?

PM me your address and I will send you a couple of spare rockers (I presume this is an M20 motor)?

Have got is sorted. Told Jeff Grey to get stuffed, they wanted $95 an hour. Went down the road to one of dads mates and they rekon they will have it done by Friday. Really appreciate the offer Skidz, but the people have allready ordered in one and it is due to arrive soon.

So Taupo is sounding good at the moment, apart from filling up with 98 petrol!

Thanks alot,

Nick

the rockers become quite work hardened and brittle over time, they can easily be over tightened when being adjusted and crack. It's not what you want to hear but i'd say when they set them at jeff gray they over tightened it and didn't notice that it had cracked.

I broke one of my old rockers by over tightening it.

anyway if it is at the back of the engine you can slide the rocker shaft a little way out the front and put a new one in without removing the head, otherwise your head has to come off.

It's a shame time is not on your side, perfect opportunity to fully rebuild your head, new valve guides, seals, a polish, reseated valves and reset valve spring rates. maybe even a lumpy cam if you can find one.

That are pretty much doing a complete head rebuild. Its a pain it didn't happen about two weeks ago, other wise I would have organised a lumpy cam to be put in. So far they are putting in

New Camshaft (otherone was slightly worn)

New Distributor

New Rocker

New Seal

New belt and tensioner

New waterpump

New Rotor

A++ to Quality Auto Machinists in Hastings. Went and towed from Jeff Grey, organised all parts to be delivered pronoto, and have moved it to the front of the line.

Jeff Grey's hourly rate worked out to be just under $110 (including GST). My dads truck mechanics are only $60 an hour, so they have a huge margin.

Just a quick question, does anyone no if the 325 allready had a lumpy cam in? Doug rekons that Gus might have put one in?

Cheers

Nick