Sign in to follow this  
keegan13

REMOVING/INSTALLING E36 SPRINGS

Hey guys,

Am getting my standard springs compressed soon in my 97 316i e36 sedan as ive just put my rims on

(only 18z) and want to know if anybody knows someone to remove my springs and then fit them again after the compressing has been done.

I dont want to be paying heaps and heaps but open to all options? Also how long does the compressing take?And how much can i compress them max and still stay captive?

Will have to get picks up of the car soon too lol!

Cheers guys,

Adam.

Hey guys,

Am getting my standard springs compressed soon in my 97 316i e36 sedan as ive just put my rims on

(only 18z) and want to know if anybody knows someone to remove my springs and then fit them again after the compressing has been done.

I dont want to be paying heaps and heaps but open to all options? Also how long does the compressing take?And how much can i compress them max and still stay captive?

Will have to get picks up of the car soon too lol!

Cheers guys,

Adam.

I tried removing my own with a ratchet driven spring compressor and gave up in the end because it just didnt compress enough for me to feel safe in removing the top hat :s ..i know Glenn on here has a real spring compressor at botany motor worx (which im going to ask if i can use also :P for a fee of course!!)

Its pretty easy to do the rears, but its the fronts that gave me the willies. Basically alls you needa do is remove your struts, compress the spring and take off the top hat, then decompress the spring.. Sounds easy! but it eluded me.. Im happy to help you out, if you can source a decent spring compressor man to remove and reattach the springs

nah proper spring compressers work way better , i brought one off TM for 130 and has paid for its self over and over and over the hardest part is getting the main bolt off the shock/top hat for me but impact wrench soon rids that !

i reckon if you dont know cars have someone by you who does when attemting this then you can learn and save headaches or pay someone like glen at botany or zenneti to do it

i have PM you

yeh a little bit OTT but yep that will work awsome heres mine is that one exspensive ?

post-1718-1211346479_thumb.jpg

Pussies!!

Ya dont need a spring compressor to take the springs off!

Pussies!!

Ya dont need a spring compressor to take the springs off!

You obviously have never seen the results of springs decompressing in a millisecond. I care more for my life, and my car and my garage even for that matter to not do it right.

Imagine that pointed at you or your car.. no thanks

Ive never had a problem :)

Yet !!! :) Have you tried an E39 ??? :D

OK , it really is about time for one of my rants, but I've just been for a run and don't really have the energy.

Think about this:

By the time you pay someone to take them out, get them compressed and then refitted you may as well buy a decent set of lowering springs and get them installed. Also how are you going to move the car while they are getting compressed? I doubt a mechanic will want the car parked up for a few days taking up workshop space.I know we sell lowering springs including installation for $400.............................. You do the maths.

Or in Mastercard terms:

Taking out your factory springs: $80-$100

Compressing Factory Springs: $200-$300

Putting compressed springs in: $80-$100

Doing it right with proper lowering springs: PRICELESS!!

PS: do a search of the forum and see what the general consensus is about compressed springs! IMO DO NOT compress springs. Buy a decent set of progressive lowering springs, Less bounce, car handles better blah blah blah, been over this once, been over it a thousand times.

$400 for springs with fitting ...... sh*t if I lived in Auckland I'd be on your door step tomorrow :)

OK , it really is about time for one of my rants, but I've just been for a run and don't really have the energy.

Think about this:

By the time you pay someone to take them out, get them compressed and then refitted you may as well buy a decent set of lowering springs and get them installed. Also how are you going to move the car while they are getting compressed? I doubt a mechanic will want the car parked up for a few days taking up workshop space.I know we sell lowering springs including installation for $400.............................. You do the maths.

Or in Mastercard terms:

PS: do a search of the forum and see what the general consensus is about compressed springs! IMO DO NOT compress springs. Buy a decent set of progressive lowering springs, Less bounce, car handles better blah blah blah, been over this once, been over it a thousand times.

Now theres an idea!!!

Think about this:

Or in Mastercard terms:

x1,also get a wheel alignment done ,but dont go to the cheapest person, go to someone with experience working on bmws.

we put propper b&g springs 65s i think? in a 318 on 18s lowest point was 100 so if you want to stay legal dont bother with compressing them

MMMM!. SAFETY SAFETY must come first when dealing with coil springs or any loaded suspension part. Pussy has nothing to do with it you are playing with some dangerous items. Sorry to sound like and old grump but if you mess up you not live to talk about it. Have had first hand experience of a McPherson strut insert job going wrong, one scary episode. Make sure you have the correct gear and know what you are doing or get a professional to do it for you. Just my 5 cents worth.

MMMM!. SAFETY SAFETY must come first when dealing with coil springs or any loaded suspension part. Pussy has nothing to do with it you are playing with some dangerous items. Sorry to sound like and old grump but if you mess up you not live to talk about it. Have had first hand experience of a McPherson strut insert job going wrong, one scary episode. Make sure you have the correct gear and know what you are doing or get a professional to do it for you. Just my 5 cents worth.

2nd that. i have taken a decompressing spring to the face before when my mate decided he wouldnt bother putting compressers on. i got away with a scratch luckily but could have gone badly wrong

2nd that. i have taken a decompressing spring to the face before when my mate decided he wouldnt bother putting compressers on. i got away with a scratch luckily but could have gone badly wrong

Wow, unbelievable, very lucky.

Compressed springs aren't technically WOFable nor certifiable under the LVV rules ... Don't do it, it just screws up your handling. If you want to go low, save up and get proper lowering springs or if you can stretch it get proper coilovers with matched springs and damper rates.