Sign in to follow this  
Venatus

Reading spark plugs

I had a look at some spark plug reading charts, but I couldnt find anything that resembles what mine looked like 3 weeks ago, put new ones in anyway, will have a look tomorrow at the condition that theyre in...

Anyway, to me, something looks severely wrong, and it could be the cause of my 6km per litre fuel consumption.

The oil there is just from a rocker cover leak I think, its just pooled in the hole for the spark plug and doesnt actually get into the cylinder as far as I know...Im pretty sure my smoky engine is buggered rings....

But anyway, could someone help me out and give me an idea of what this means?

Thanks.

post-2681-1211687859_thumb.jpg

Can I just add, this was one of the BETTER condition ones. Some of them were so corroded and gone you could hardly even make out the fact that it was a spark plug.

I had a look at some spark plug reading charts, but I couldnt find anything that resembles what mine looked like 3 weeks ago, put new ones in anyway, will have a look tomorrow at the condition that theyre in...

Anyway, to me, something looks severely wrong, and it could be the cause of my 6km per litre fuel consumption.

The oil there is just from a rocker cover leak I think, its just pooled in the hole for the spark plug and doesnt actually get into the cylinder as far as I know...Im pretty sure my smoky engine is buggered rings....

6km per litre = 16.7L/100km

My 540i would use 20L/100km around town, and the 3L 6cylinder cars can also use 15L/100km around town if you do a lot of start/stop or heavy driving

I'd throw new plugs in and then monitor the plugs in a week or two and see what they look like.

While you're at it,. make sure your air filter is good - replace if necessary.

As for oil smoke, generally that always means you have some repair work to do - it can only be piston rings, valve seals, or cracked head gasket. Off the top of my head.

Someone else will probbaly tell you what else to check.

detonating

Alright, thanks guys, I sorta have an idea what to check now

Edited by Ven

That plug is certainly indicating oil consumption