Sign in to follow this  
beema

dog box

PPG have precut (off-the-shelf) straight gears for Supra 5 and 6 speeds (W and R series boxes). They are a dog engagement gearset so should come with the dog collars. (from my limited understanding of dog engagement type gears)

It would be cheaper and easier getting 400hp out of a 2JZ. Nissan motors are increasing in price these days. SR20's and RB's have gone up a couple of hundred dollars just in the last two years - every silvia/cefiro/laurel owner wants to turbo their car for better skids :rolleyes: . But in this part of the world the toyota 6's are somewhat ignored.

The is a lot of literature for getting cheap and reliable power out of JZ motors as well. 400hp is doable on standard internals for a 2JZ and 350hp is easy enough with a 1JZ.

If you go for a 2nd or 3rd gen 1JZ (cheaper) you can also have the option of stroking with a 2JZ bottom end later on (when more $$ is available). Higher compression, larger exhaust valves, but smaller intake valves. Un-ported 1JZ heads flow better than 2JZ heads, but after work they are the same.

........This is what happens when one hangs around Toyota geeks all the time. You start wishing BMW had a JZ equivalent :ph34r:

can you pleease clarify a few points that will help us answer the questions better:

First of all: is this off the "JPS E30" your Dad gave you?

Second of all: You mentioned you had bought an M3, which you havent got anymore so are buying an M3 engine to put in another E30, is this gearbox for this for the M3 engine?

Third of all: The dogleg box on which car has blown?

Last but not least, what car / car(s) do you own.

Cheers :unsure:

Edited by bmw3

can you pleease clarify a few points that will help us answer the questions better:

First of all: is this off the "JPS E30" your Dad gave you?

Second of all: You mentioned you had bought an M3, which you havent got anymore so are buying an M3 engine to put in another E30, is this gearbox for this for the M3 engine?

Third of all: The dogleg box on which car has blown?

Last but not least, what car / car(s) do you own.

Cheers :unsure:

[/quote

Im still talking about the same car mum and dad gave me which is the jps bmw e30.

I have bought an M3 engine which is the s14 4 cylinder version.

This engine will go in the "JPS".

The gearbox is for the M3 engine.

I blew the old gaerbox in the jps and want to put in a stronger gearbox for the M3 engine! Im looking for a strong gearbox, only one that came to mind was the dog box!

I have a black "JPS E30"

You're going to have to do a lot better than that for me to believe that you're not talking through a hole in your arse.

Guest Simon*

You're going to have to do a lot better than that for me to believe that you're not talking through a hole in your arse.

+1,000,000 :)

is this your JPS 318i which came with the Dogleg box.

Edited by bmw3

Guest Simon*

Why don't you silence the doubters and put some pictures of the car up __dan?

:)

Are you referring to a JPS E30's that Frank Gardner had build, or some black E30 with JPS stickers

There is a huge difference between the two

The Gardner JPS E30's ran a works "group A" Getrag . $10K is about right for the box

If this is what you have blown [ assuming it is original fitment], get a gear cutter like PPG in Adelaide to repair it

If it is a replica, chuck a slushbox in it . spend your money on booze, and tell "war stories" to drunks

the car is a replica of the jps from factory.

Below is a Sample posting I found on another Forum about ID'ing a JPS E30

Basically the JPS replicas were badged up from a standard car as a limited edition [for the public]

So just put a standard gearbox in your car and enjoy driving it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The JPS cars were built by the factory as stock cars. As they rolled off the production line they were picked up by Frank Gardiner (i think) who turned them into the JPS spec road cars.

I have been to BMW and taken my VIN number and my car came up blank. This is because the cars were done up as JPS cars after they came off the production line. Its almost impossible to tell from the VIN or Chassis codes if its a real JPS or not.

Your best bet to telling if its real or not is

1) The JPS Badges located on the rear pillar leading down the the boot or on the front quarter panel.

2) Some mild engine work (nothing serious, just more potent than a stocky 323i)

3) Optional 'alpina' style 16'' wheels with the alpina logo replaced by the JPS symbol. Or the stocky 15'' wheels but with a painted gold centre

4) Factory Schwartz black body

5) Gold pinstripe

6) Seats may have JPS logo on them but that isnt a good indicator

Useless Trivia:

Apparently Gerry Hodges used to own the Group A JPS M3! Look here!

This is the one sold to public:

Posted Image

It's a nice car, I reckon just put the standard box in it and enjoy it :)

EDIT:

This is the one not sold to public B) :

Posted Image

Edited by JiB

im still going ahead with the turbo, will the standard gearbox be ok if i take care of it?

Edited by _dan