Sign in to follow this  
M3_Power

Hello Alcon !!

Finally they are here ... will post up photos once installed.

Main reason for going with Alcon:

- Bolt on application - NO SPACERS to clear the CSL fronts

- Excellent range of pad choices

- Monoblock design

- huge 365mm discs

can't wait !!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice :D They'll go well with Steel Grey.

Doing the install yourself? And is it normal for BBKs to come with brake fluid?

Nice, but surely you didnt out drive the standard M3 ones on the road? Do you do a bit of track work?

Wow, those are hot :wub:

Is this for more power or just insane stopping power?

Good stuff!

Post up some pics when they're installed.

Nice :D They'll go well with Steel Grey.

Doing the install yourself? And is it normal for BBKs to come with brake fluid?

Silver Grey actually - should look good on it I think.

Was going to install it myself, but then I thought if I sell the car further down the road the purchasers would probably prefer to see a proper invoice from a reputable shop that installed the kit, so have decided to just pay someone to do it (whilst I give all the instructions and torque specs haha) - that and it makes the cert guy a bit more comfortable having someone 'qualified' installing it.

Yes most BBK kits come with brake fluid, in this case Motul !!!!

Nice, but surely you didnt out drive the standard M3 ones on the road? Do you do a bit of track work?

I used to be a bit of a track junky .. but haven't had the time recently - bit hard to outdrive the standard brakes on the road especially with good pads - on the track it wouldn't be hard to overcook the stock item given enough laps.

The M3 brakes whilst good it's still no comparison to a top aftermarket fix caliper - now I've got no excuse to use for going slow around a track.

Wow, those are hot :wub:

Is this for more power or just insane stopping power?

Don't see how brakes can add to power, certainly add to stability and durability against fading on the track however - not to mention the bling haha ...

Will post up some photos when fitted, should be sometime next week - getting everything organised so I can get my LVV cert updated at the sametime it's being installed and update with the insurance company my 'mod list' (I've sold it to them by telling them that the brakes increases safety haha)

Edited by M3_Power

I think what JiB means is, are you adding the brakes to help support more power. Nice setup :).

I think what JiB means is, are you adding the brakes to help support more power. Nice setup :) .

Lol, yes that is what I meant.

Silver Grey actually - should look good on it I think.

Was going to install it myself, but then I thought if I sell the car further down the road the purchasers would probably prefer to see a proper invoice from a reputable shop that installed the kit, so have decided to just pay someone to do it (whilst I give all the instructions and torque specs haha) - that and it makes the cert guy a bit more comfortable having someone 'qualified' installing it.

Yes most BBK kits come with brake fluid, in this case Motul !!!!

Will post up some photos when fitted, should be sometime next week - getting everything organised so I can get my LVV cert updated at the sametime it's being installed and update with the insurance company my 'mod list' (I've sold it to them by telling them that the brakes increases safety haha)

Oops sorry. Yeah good idea to have something to show when/if it comes to resale. Is insurance going to up your premium for this safety mod? ;)

Wouldnt mind coming for a look .. Im looking at Alcons for mine and wouldnt mind seeing if theyll clear the works wheels.

I think what JiB means is, are you adding the brakes to help support more power. Nice setup :).

Ooops my bad ...

Wouldnt mind coming for a look .. Im looking at Alcons for mine and wouldnt mind seeing if theyll clear the works wheels.

let me know if you want to see the kit in person - it should be in by end of next week if all goes well. I've got Alcon templates that allows to you check clearances. The alcon has by far the lowest profile of all the BBK out there (even AP Racing) - what sort of offset are you running at the moment?

The alcon has by far the lowest profile of all the BBK out there (even AP Racing) - what sort of offset are you running at the moment?

Running 39 offset at the mo.

Running 39 offset at the mo.

You should be fine. The CSL fronts are 8.5 wide +44ET and fit the alcons without spacers. Similarly with the AP kit. The brembos you have to run a 15mm spacer, and the stoptech I think 10mm.

Bit of an update ...

Anyway actually was suppose to have the kit fitted a couple of weeks ago (had the car all booked in, up on the hoist, cert guy waiting ect ... ) .. but upon disassembling and test fitting I realised that Alcon had packaged the wrong disc for the set ... !!!!!!!!

They had sent me Golf GTi discs rather than M3 ones ARrrghhhh (actually the disc was correct, the disc bell was incorrect)

So after many emails and overseas phone calls to both USA and England, Alcon finally sent me the correct discs last week !! (they sent me a whole new assembly rather than just the bell, meaning that I get to keep a spare set of 365mm x 32mm discs Yippy !!!! - they also sent me a spare set of brake lines as they weren't 100% certain what they had sent me were the correct ones ... turns out that they were the correct ones - oh well no harm in having a spare set of brake lines !!!)

So ... on with the photos ..

Some teasers ... test fitting in my garage by myself ...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Clearance ... not too bad - seems to clear even the largest of wheel weights ...

Posted Image

Posted Image

So it's off to the shop and reorganising the cert guy .... : )

to be continued.

Edited by M3_Power

Looks good man, well done. Don't sopose we could see a pic of the whole car???

Edited by Greg111

Updated photos (now with the whole car). Zero issues with wheel clearance. I ended up trimming the brake dust cover to accommodate the larger discs (had to trim off about 1/4 of the total surface area).

I have to say I am absolutely blown away by how good these brakes are. Straight away the pedal feel, braking power and brake balance was more than apparant.

The mechanic that fitted these brakes for me works for BMW NZ and is one of the head mechanics for Mini Challenge Race series here in NZ, Porsche GT3 Cup Racing and NZ V8 touring car championships. He was impressed with the build quality, fitment and overall performance of these brakes. The certification process was straight forward with little to no issues (I had to get longer wheel bolts given the slight increase in disc bell thickness - yes a strange one in my opinion, but the cert guy's God when it comes to getting certification in NZ and for the car to be road legal, so we tracked down some 5 series wheels bolts which were slightly longer and did the job required - I've actually also got some longer ones coming from Turnermotorsport also).

As already stated in another post this kit is great in the sense that you don't need to run spacers on all OEM wheels, 18s, 19s, ZCP, CSL

You also have great brake pad choices, all the following fits:

Mintex MDB2607

Alcon 4497

Pagid U8028

SBS 3061

Ferodo FRP3081

The calipers themselves are 3.5kg each for those also wondering.

Now on with the photos.

If any of you want any specific shots of the kit, please let me know and I'll take them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And for those curious about clearance, here's two shots take from inside the wheel:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by M3_Power

tits ... nice job there and the silver really suits the csl metallic grey paint

Looks great! What pattern is that on the rotors? Never seen it before.

Probably a stupid question but do you save or gain weight in going to the BBK?

Oh, and nice second car :)

Looks awesome, they're massive!

Has to be an extra 20hp there.

Thanks for the positive comments fellas !! Appreciate it !

As for some of the questions.

The pattern on the disc is called "scalloping" - it's a new design that's now utilised more and more on race applications. Serves the same purpose as slotted rotors but lot less noise.

As for weight - believe it or not, going from 345mm discs to 365mm discs and single sliding calipers to monoblock 6 pistons actually saved weight (albeit slightly) !!!

The calipers themselves only weigh 3.5kg each !!!