Sign in to follow this  
Palazzo

Losing coolant

This morning, the low coolant light came on (FL 325i E30), nothing too unusual there, kept an eye on the gauge, didn't move until I got into the driveway at home.

Got out to a hissing sound, checked under bonnet and there is a leak/steam coming from around the top of the engine, under the inlet manifold.

Are there any pipes under there, or is this impending disaster? Any ideas? There is coolant visible in the hollows of the top of the motor.

possibly the coolant lines to the throttle body cracking?

i hate cooling problems !

could be any number of things.

just check all hoses around that area for cracks, check hose clapmps. It could be one of the Welch plugs or a gasket.

Good luck

Yes there is a coolant pipe under there - it goes from the top heater pipe on the firewall to the bottom of the thermostat housing. Mine split under there. Good news is the hose (which should be replaced with a genuine BMW part due to all the weird kinks and bends in the hose) is not expensive and only took me half an hour to replace including taking the other on off. It should be fairly easy to spot if this is the one causing your problem.

Edited by ducatiss

I think (hope) it is that hose, although how you replaced it in half an hour is beyond me! I can't even get my hand near it. I'll have a chat to Glenn tomorrow and see if he thinks it can make it to Botany. Thanks.

Yeah it can be tricky - if thats the hose thats leaking, just undo it at both ends and pull it back toward the firewall and out. You will lose some cooland in the process so you may have to drop some out the bottom tap on the radiator. Shine a torch in under the manifold and it all should become clear lol.

Had a chat with Glenn and he was spot on (as usual), it's the cork gasket on the throttle body. Spraying straight down on to that hose. $1.87 for the part! Cheers again Glenn.

Well, I wouldn't say it was a 5 min job, but for $1.80 worth of gasket and $16 worth of sealant, leak fixed. And a thorough butterfly valve clean has resulted in a nice smooth idle again.

Hi, i have a 740i e38 .. sounds like i have a similar problem but mine has a slight drip coming from under the bit where the cold air from the air box goes into the engine, above some sort of belt in the front middle at the front of the car

which business do you all recommend for this job ?

im in auckland central .. prefer perhaps auckland city to manukau .. area

Glenn at Botany Motor Worx, in Botany. Very helpful and a forum sponsor.