Sign in to follow this  
M3_guy

e34 535, 540 Fuel Consumption

Hi, I know this has been covered before many times over but I just want to know what sort of fuel consumption does your car get? i mean e34 535i and 540i models.

I just bought a 535i and been driving it heaps and got about 220-230kms from a 27.8litre of fuel (95 Shell V power) but that was mainly on motorway from city to northshore suburbs i think it drops to about 17-22litres per 100km when mostly driving in City where I live.

Before I even consider selling this and buying 540i purely because I like the V8 engines and the facelift look (Yes I know the M30 engines are widely known as bulletproof and bmw V8s are infamous for their oil leaks) I wanted to know if the V8s are better or worse in terms of fuel ecomony.

Any input will be much appreciated..... Again.

Oh and If you could also let me know what car and what sort of driving you do. ie suburb area, driving habits...etc LOL

M3 Guy I use my 540i Touring 50/50 city and open road driving, live in Waiuku and travel to East Tamaki/Penrose etc visit customers and then back again and normally carry a small load of at least 150 kg onboard.

My average fuel consumption for this driving is 12.4 litres/100km.

City only is 15-16 litres/100km

Open Road only I have had it down to 9.0 litres/100km but realistically probably 10 litres/100km (after a few overtakes here and there)

Cheers

Adam

Hi, I know this has been covered before many times over but I just want to know what sort of fuel consumption does your car get? i mean e34 535i and 540i models.

I just bought a 535i and been driving it heaps and got about 220-230kms from a 27.8litre of fuel (95 Shell V power) but that was mainly on motorway from city to northshore suburbs i think it drops to about 17-22litres per 100km when mostly driving in City where I live.

Before I even consider selling this and buying 540i purely because I like the V8 engines and the facelift look (Yes I know the M30 engines are widely known as bulletproof and bmw V8s are infamous for their oil leaks) I wanted to know if the V8s are better or worse in terms of fuel ecomony.

Any input will be much appreciated..... Again.

Oh and If you could also let me know what car and what sort of driving you do. ie suburb area, driving habits...etc LOL

I'm getting about 13L/100km with about 60% motorway 40% city according to my trip meter, I havn't done a proper consumption test yet. A part of me suspects that is incorrect though. That's with the occasional blat, using 98 octane.

93 540i Auto.

Edited by Creaver

Yeah, I dont think the OBC on my e34 is correct. it even said 34litres per 100km at one stage.

So i think its better doing the calculation myself.

There was a couple of 540i I looked at and they were dealers.

They were happy with tradein with my car but really I wanted to know few things about the 540 before I put my self in trouble. LOL

I have done two Hastings-Auckland runs in different 540's in the last few weeks.One averaged 10.2l/100,the 2nd including a late nite stomp over taupo-napier road 9.8l/100 so around 28mpg average.

Rarely use around town so I cant help there.

Overall consumption will be lower on the M60 V8 compared to the M30, hard to get good fuel economy from the M30 in a heavy E34 shell. The E28 does better( so i was told) due to it's lightweight.

If you start looking at the V8, get it checked out. Nikasil vs Alusil block issues.

Edited by mr E34

Overall consumption will be lower on the M60 V8 compared to the M30, hard to get good fuel economy from the M30 in a heavy E34 shell. The E28 does better( so i was told) due to it's lightweight.

If you start looking at the V8, get it checked out. Nikasil vs Alusil block issues.

540 would be better,but factor in higher purchase prices and higher maintenance.34 l per 100 ks very possible i have had mine of the gauge ie accellerating up hill.M30 is OLD engine,540 also has much higher gearing.535 probably a slightly better balanced car

dont think the nikasil issue was a problem here?

Edited by kiwi535

540 would be better,but factor in higher purchase prices and higher maintenance.34 l per 100 ks very possible i have had mine of the gauge ie accellerating up hill.M30 is OLD engine,540 also has much higher gearing.535 probably a slightly better balanced car

dont think the nikasil issue was a problem here?

Yea, I believe Nikasil/Alusil was only a worry in the american market due to the high sulphur content in their fuel. There have been quite a few cheap 540i's on trademe as of late, looked ok in the pics...

I would say that maintenance would be cheaper on the 535i however. Considering the m30 has been around for something like 30years?? An air flow meter for my M60 would've cost me about $1200 direct from Bosch, thankfully Glenn was able to give me a nice discount. Something to keep in mind.

*edit* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M60 yes, mainly in the states.

Edited by Creaver

M3 Guy I use my 540i Touring 50/50 city and open road driving, live in Waiuku and travel to East Tamaki/Penrose etc visit customers and then back again and normally carry a small load of at least 150 kg onboard.

My average fuel consumption for this driving is 12.4 litres/100km.

City only is 15-16 litres/100km

Open Road only I have had it down to 9.0 litres/100km but realistically probably 10 litres/100km (after a few overtakes here and there)

Cheers

Adam

I get the exact same economy in m 540iA as Adam does.

It's funny in my old 320 manual e30 i got about 12-13 l/100km on average round town, granted i revved the sh*t out of it but it it was still disappointing compared to a 325 getting the same economy or the 4 litre V8 using only slightly more gas (city driving only)

Nikasil Vs Alusil, i know what i would rather have. Neither, cast iron block.

Believe what you want, plenty of those blocks replaced here.

Nikasil Vs Alusil, i know what i would rather have. Neither, cast iron block.

Believe what you want, plenty of those blocks replaced here.

Haha fair enough.

Guest Simon*

Oh gosh here we go again

I get better figures than the autos. Anywhere from 11 - 13ish l/100km city depending on how hard i thump it and 8ish to 12ish open road depending on hills and how late I am. I think my overall average from the OBC for since about the beginning of the year is 11.7l/100km. That's 70/30 city/highway and including some of the infamous Hawkes Bay backroad blats, to, from and including Taupo track training

Oh and I had an E34 535 before this and wouldn't go back ;)

Cheers

Si

94 E34 540i/6

Oh gosh here we go again

I get better figures than the autos. Anywhere from 11 - 13ish l/100km city depending on how hard i thump it and 8ish to 12ish open road depending on hills and how late I am. I think my overall average from the OBC for since about the beginning of the year is 11.7l/100km. That's 70/30 city/highway and including some of the infamous Hawkes Bay backroad blats, to, from and including Taupo track training

Oh and I had an E34 535 before this and wouldn't go back ;)

Cheers

Si

94 E34 540i/6

4ltr twin cam v8 vs 3.4ltr 2 valve, no comparison, no wonder you wouldn't go back!

M30 is from the old days Simon, harks back to the old 3.0csl days, now belongs in a museum like its owner!

Rugged old school.

4ltr twin cam v8 vs 3.4ltr 2 valve, no comparison, no wonder you wouldn't go back!

M30 is from the old days Simon, harks back to the old 3.0csl days, now belongs in a museum like its owner!

Rugged old school.

not to mention O2 sensors,much more advanced mapping,refined intake systems etc etc etc...i will be able to give real world comparisons soon.Its the ONLY aspect of the 535 I dont like

M60 is better until you have to work on it.

M60 is better until you have to work on it.

+1 .

yes thats why i am going back to a e34 . selling the e39 .

not that the engine is the main concern its all the %^*&*& around it that packs up.

when the M30 just keeps on going like the rabit

+1 .

not that the engine is the main concern its all the %^*&*& around it that packs up.

are you still looking for an e34 brent?

Click me

are you still looking for an e34 brent?

Click me

Jaysus thats bad news for E34 sellers.

When I looked at this car about 9months ago (he was trying to sell it then as well), it had unwarrantable rust problems in the sills. The car has a warrant now, so he must've fixed it up, but still, something to be weary of.

+1 .

So maybe I should be so hastly going e34>e39 540. The 34 is supposedly the 'last' model that one can DIY on.

but still, something to be weary of.

Love the play on words :-)