Sign in to follow this  
Matasorapit

Light bulbs or wireing

Hi people,

I have another question.

Actually a few.

First, my right headlight has stopped yesterday. I figured it may need a new bulb and can wait till pay day but... Today, when I started my car this morning the warning light in the dash that shows an image of the car and the headlight. This warning indicator had both lights displayed. Just before I started home from work I took a look to see what lights were working and I have one main headlight on the right side working and only one secondary light working on the left side. Last night I drove over a huge pot hole that the rain had washed into the road, could this have done anything?

Do I need new bulbs? or GOD FORBID... is it an electrical problem with the wireing?

I have had a look on trade me and see there are some "after market" front lights, side lights and tail lights that look kind of cool. I was planning on doing the car (1998 e46 318i) up anyway. Has anyone installed these onto their cars? Money is not too much of an issue as I planned to do the entire car up over the next 6 months.

The other thing is that now my airbag light has come on also.

Any advice is appreciated. I know there are a few of you in the know who may be able to help.

I have had this car for about a month and brought it as a project but didnt expect the project to start like this.

Cheers

Damian

You are probably panicking over nothing. First thing - check the bulb, if in doubt - call into an Auto Sparky to have checked - probably a 5 min job.

The driving light is probably a bulb or a dirty connection on the bulb. If it is a halogen bulb, don't touch the glass with your fingers - use a handytowel or something else clean as dirt and oil on the glass will cause it to blow if it turns out to be a good bulb. Same advice goes for installation of a new bulb.

I would definitely be getting the airbag light checked out though.

Didn't see the airbag part - as Graeme said get it proffesionally checked on a scanner. Dealer or any good Auto sparky or garage should have a scanner to talk to it. Otherwise you are only guessing

Cheers guys,

I went into the local BMW store (Palmy). I have booked in next week to have the airbag looked at but had another mechanic fix the lights and do a general service. Got a few other minor things that may need done in the future (belts, front brakes and a leaking gasket). Now the only concern is that airbag light.

I am used to older cars (last car was an EH Holden wagon and before that an LX Torana). When doing them up it was no biggie with regulations and stuff but with the Bimmer, I have a few challenges ahead.

Hey, thanks for all the advice, its greatly appreciated.