Sign in to follow this  
E30 325i Rag-Top

HSV versus BMW

You might have seen these before as they are a few years old, but I just found them again on my PC so thought they might be worth a post.

This is what happens when you let teenagers drive V8s that don't handle too well. Apparently a 19-year old took the HSV for a test drive from the dealers in Bundoora, Vic. came back way too fast round the corner, hit the gutter, ran up the kerb and took off into the car lot. Landing on the Beemer.

The poor little E36 didn't stand much of a chance against the lard-arse HSV Clubsport, especially with the Clubbie at speed and the 3-series sitting still!

post-2707-1214812908_thumb.jpg

post-2707-1214812926_thumb.jpg

post-2707-1214812941_thumb.jpg

post-2707-1214812956_thumb.jpg

Serves that e36 right for having such bad wheels

Why on earth would the dealer let a 19yr old drive a late model commy?

That’s cool, the dealers would have been stoked with the publicity and insurance payout! Oh and HSV’s dont handle bad if you know how to drive them!

Why on earth would the dealer let a 19yr old drive a late model commy?

Because HSV’s are quite cheap in Australia, role reversal with BMW’s here.

When in aussie recently I was amazed at the price of BMWs . This is due to the government taxing and therefore have created a "expensive" car stigma there, even more so than New Zealand.

Mate they are 50% more expensive there where Falcodors are 30% cheaper. The way it should be. I for one wouldn’t be driving a E60 if I lived in Ausi!

It's because they don't have their roads clogged with shitty imports that bring down the car prices - this protects their local car industry. Therefore, almost all cars are Aus New.

+1 x10

Won’t get into that rant again.. Im going to start a partition.. Or just move to Ausi :unsure:

It's because they don't have their roads clogged with shitty imports that bring down the car prices - this protects their local car industry. Therefore, almost all cars are Aus New.

After many years experience working in the automotive industry and now dealing with Aussie OEMs, believe me it really does need protecting.

If these plants had to compete on an equal footing with the rest of the world there would be a number of closures very, very quickly.

The only one that is truly competitive in world terms is the Toyota plant at Altona, backed up by the fact that they can competitively EXPORT Camrys.

Its a sad fact, but with global competition and the cost of new vehicle development (AU$1.4bn for the VE Commodore and still about 5-10years behind the rest of the world), local markets will not provide enough volume to support local models, Falcon, Commodore, etc.

Ford are trying to keep going by binning the straight six engine (their best local!!) in favour of a V6 from the USofA, and building Global vehicles as well (Focus & its variants) - I hope they succeed.

Holden are dependent upon GM engines and parts bin - but are making a good fist of things and even sending some back overseas.

All the State and National government money is only a life support system, the money needed to be invested to come up to world standards would be astronomical, and neither Ford or GM can afford any major investment at the moment and any spare cents are going to go to the homeland plants.

It's a shame as some brands and names will cease to be, look at the UK, Austin, Healey, MG, Rover, etc. all gone.

Plus you lose the cars which are tuned to local conditions, which can make a big difference in terms of comfort and ride, especially on NZ roads!!

The world market sets the price of vehicles and local import tariffs only create a false economy, and why should BMWs or any other brand be more expensive just because of an inefficient local industry that needs protection? Its only the consumer that gets penalised.

Phew, rant over. Time for a lie down.

Totally agree .. lucky NZ doesnt suffer from this much .. in saying that BMW NZ insists on charging nearly double what the rest of the world pays.

lol yeh ive seen the 2nd pic before, somebody uses it on trademe :P

yea i saw that on trademe too, couldnt figure what happened to it lol.