Sign in to follow this  
BreakMyWindow

Intermittent gremlin

E39 540 with non dsp 10 speaker amplified stereo system.

When i turn on the rear window heater, the radio station i listen to becomes distorted (sounds like its not quite tuned in) This happens only sometimes, I can't quite determine what causes the rear window heater when turned on, to intefere with radio reception..

Any one had this problem? if so what the resolution? Any thoughts ?

if the e 39 is like the e34,the radio aerial is actually embedded in the rear window ,so maybe there is some "crossover" when you turn the rear window heater on

You mean rear windscreen? If so then the heater grills can act sort of as an aerial and can pick up a signal, maybe the aerial isnt ground or connected properly and like Kiwi said crossing over.

E39 540 with non dsp 10 speaker amplified stereo system.

When i turn on the rear window heater, the radio station i listen to becomes distorted (sounds like its not quite tuned in) This happens only sometimes, I can't quite determine what causes the rear window heater when turned on, to intefere with radio reception..

Any one had this problem? if so what the resolution? Any thoughts ?

This was covered in a thread last week from memory. Its probably a crack in the heated rear screen laminate.

Check this advise from Jochen

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=16602