Sign in to follow this  
bumpstop325

New rubber for my Z's

OK, at the moment I am running 215/40/ZR16 ventis K102 on my 16" x 7 ROH Z's mags.

These wheels rolling diametre is just smaller than factory. So the car reads 5 kmph to fastt han whats its accually going. I was wondering if i was better off going to a 205/45 size?

Any suggestions?

I would have thought this was something you'd know Tim?

Anywho correct tyre size for 16's on e30 if going for 205's is 205/50/16.

Also the speed difference would be a percentage, so would not be a constant 5kph. You may have a speedo error too. My speedo reads 10kph too fast (constant).

You are going to get a considerable change going from 205/40/16 to 205/50/16. Its a 20mm difference in sidewall height!. Your car will be 20mm higher off the ground, but the tyres will fill the guards 20mm more aswell making it look lower. win/win plus better ride! = ultimate win.

PS - any reason why you spent the extra for Z-rated tyres?? I wouldn't have thought an e30 would ever be going fast enough to warrant them?

Edited by bravo

where's he mention he wants Z rated tyres? thats just the style of rim he's on.

Tim, what about a 215/45? fits in between a 205/45 and 205/50 an gives you a little wider tyre. few tyres made in 215/45 too.

at the moment I am running 215/40/ZR16

If the rims are 7" or wider I'd go with 225/45 R16's

That's what I used to run along time ago.

I've just been on holidays for a few days, leave me alone. :P

Actually I just re-read bravo's question, yeah tim said ZR but the K102 aren't Z rated tyres?

Edited by Mike

Currently the trade off I take, is the lower profile gives me a trade off for clearance, on full lock. Z is just the extra load rating, i think by memory. Stiffer overall construction, etc....

On my botttles i run a 195/60R14 (NCT5), again smaller tyre but the trade offs are much the same. Except looking more stealth. They are coming up 27,000km in under a year of Tim driving.

Yeah i know i have talked about this alot, it just I cant make up my mind in changing tyre sizes. now that my application as changed. Im just trolling for people's opinions on which size tyre's i should consider, before buying.

I was thinking of going for a 205 or 215/XXR16 tyre with the extra weight of the M30.

215/45, i think is want i will try for.

whats the offset on the mags tim?

as glenn said a 225/45 is sweet as well, but not so many manufacturers make that size, and may be a difficult fit depending on the offset, between ET20 and 25 should see you right though.

not gonna make a huge amount of difference really whether you go 215 or 225 really

If they're the same tyres that were on it that time on Ramp Road in the wet Tim, then maybe wider tyres are the go afterall!

Side note: I thought that manufacturers had to put the Z marking before the rim size on any tyre rated for 240km/h + (so that includes V, W, Y & Z) but that's just what I read somewhere on the all-knowing, all-truthful web, so it may be a load of hogwash for all I know.

I cant remember which one's i had on, honestly. Did i have 2 bottle's and 2 16"s on? If so same tyre.

Got offered some 'Roadstone' N3000 215/40R16 for $175incl each on car. Might go with them. Has anybody used these tyres? The manager said these are new to the market and made under license from dunlop.

Where some DZ101 215/45R16 $210incl each. i think i might get this.

Edited by bumpstop325

I cant remember which one's i had on, honestly. Did i have 2 bottle's and 2 16"s on? If so same tyre.

Got offered some 'Roadstone' N3000 215/40R16 for $175incl each on car. Might go with them. Has anybody used these tyres? The manager said these are new to the market and made under license from dunlop.

Where some DZ101 215/45R16 $210incl each. i think i might get this.

He is telling you porkies re Roadstone. Roadstone is a rebranded Nexen and from the same factory. We have had a lot of success with Nexen, a great all round mid-range tyre. The people that import Dunlop also import Roadstone, that is the only connection. If you like I will see what I can do for you when I am at work tomorrow

cheers

Johno

ps where are you from?

Edited by zenetti

If the $210 includes gst, fitting and balancing it is a sharp deal. By the time we courier the tyres to you and you pay someone to fit and balance them you won't save much money. Let me know how you get on,cheers