Sign in to follow this  
tonylauno1

Engine dies when idling when cold

Engine idles drop dramatically and picks up again when idling cold. It has always does this and one day when I let it idle for a long time, the engine just died.

Has anyone experience this before?

Engine idles drop dramatically and picks up again when idling cold. It has always does this and one day when I let it idle for a long time, the engine just died.

Has anyone experience this before?

I've had similay experiences with my E39 540i V8 with M62 engine

It was a combination of:

1. Dirty, clogged ICV (idle control valve). Cleaned with carb cleaner

2. Faulty coil causing misfires. Replaced coil.

Whether the above applies to your car is dificult to determine, as you don't mention what ytpe of car or engine you are talking about !!

said it before and will say it again.... check the air intake pipe for cracks ;)

It looks like he's talking about a M52b28,

M52b28tu.

Get it scanned first Tony before you start fiddling... give me a call if you'd like me to do it for you

A friend gave me a bottle of Motorup, and now it seems like it only does it after 4-5 mins of idling. I guess when the engine switches from cold to warm, he reckons it might be the variable timing.

Anyway, thanks for the offer. Thanks for the offer, I'll wait till it gets worse or at least does it on every cold start then I'll come and see you. Would be easier to diagnose.

Get it scanned first Tony before you start fiddling... give me a call if you'd like me to do it for you