Sign in to follow this  
wild_weston

What exactly is power take off?

I noticed that this is a feature on the car that casualt is looking at. I've seen it before as a feature on M3s (called launch control).

Just wondering what it is exactly. Sounds blooming cool.

I always think of jeremy clarkson sticking rockets on a reliant robin when I think of power take off.

Cheers

Edited by wild_weston

No worries. It is launch control. Foudn out what it actually is from wikipedia.

Just a computer controlled module that allows you tio accelerate as fast as possible without spinning wheels etc.

Been banned now in formula one for cost reasons plus it makes the start off too easy for the drivers.

Cheers

Its applicable to SMG gearboxes. Its launch control. You only get about half a dozen on an M5 and then you need to replace the clutch.

Power Take Off?? My tractor has that. Would expect nothing less from something made by the manufacturer of Aston Martin.

Use it for running the mower, post rammer, log splitter, and a badass water cannon.

Edited by bravo

Its applicable to SMG gearboxes. Its launch control. You only get about half a dozen on an M5 and then you need to replace the clutch.

Haven't done it yet in my beast so waiting for my firs track day and no one around :)

According to some of the M5board, you can do about 25 - 50 Launch Controls without too many issues. No one has put an accurate figure on the number of times officially. US cars are governed to 1500 RPM but Euro & JP cars are allowed to launch at 4000 RPM. The US dealers set it lower as it chews up the SMG boxes and they had a lot come back needing new clutches under warranty. Clutches are about $8k to replace apparently.

In case anyone is curious, it is a sequence of moves on the SMG and gear lever to activate it ...

1. Warm up the car or it wont do it

2. S6 w/ DSC off

3. Hold center shifter forward (towards engine)

4. Push and hold gas

5. Let go of center shifter.

This is what it sounds like on uTube. Note the Chirp on the 5th gear change !!!