Sign in to follow this  
allan

M Sport v Standard

Hi, after doing a little searching on this I still can't get a clear picture of what it entails, M sport 540 v M sport 530 to name but one. Their seems to be so many variations available so are the differences through out the whole vehicle or only cosmetic ie seats, lights, steering wheel, bumpers etc. and if so what are they, how do these changes if at all change the characteristics of the vehicle.

Cheers Allan

Ha Ha, nice one Zennetti I know that was using the 540m sport v 530 m sport as a reference only. As per first post is the sport variation a total vehicle issue and if so to what extent over a standard production vehicle.

Allan

Yeah it wasn't too bad for so early Sat morning, those 3 coffees muat have hepled! Someone on here will probably correct me if I am wrong but I think the differences between standard and "M" models are mainly cosmetic, think bodykit, sportier interior etc. They also are about 20mm lower than standard cars in the suspension dept, other than not alot of difference..

Yeah it wasn't too bad for so early Sat morning, those 3 coffees muat have hepled! Someone on here will probably correct me if I am wrong but I think the differences between standard and "M" models are mainly cosmetic, think bodykit, sportier interior etc. They also are about 20mm lower than standard cars in the suspension dept, other than not alot of difference..

they are mostly cosmetic differences,but the "complete msport" should say for an e 39 look almost identical to an M5(so should have body kit,sports seats, sports steering wheel and other alloy wheels and mechanically the difference will be only be the M sport suspension.But the 540 that i was lookin at had msport seats and suspension but did not have the m sport body kit so do you call it an msport or not?.Get the build sheet and that will list the options it has,I think 339 is what the dealers call the m sport option(and i think that is the body kit) .The southern car has the msport suspension and seats listed as options,but not the body kit(339).It also had some alloy wheel option and has the m5 look alike wheels but i dont know if they are the actual wheels it came with.

The sport suspension makes the car corner a lot flatter than the std suspension(and probably has a stiffer ride esp "side to side")

on the E34 the "sport" also had a slightly lower diff ratio(3.64 vxs 3 .46)

Edited by kiwi535

Allan, in general the M-sports have:

- a different interior to the standard, but not the same as the M (other than the headlining which will be black like the M) ie: sports seats, whether cloth with suede bolsters on the E46 and E39, or full leather

- sports suspension

- larger wheels

- M-sport kit which is similar to the M3/M5 kit (how similar depends on the M car, for example E46 M3 has wider arches, while E36 M3 is exactly the same as non-M).

On the E39, the front bumper is the same as the M5 but come with slats instead of mesh in the front bumper. Diffuser will of course be different due to the M5 having quad pipes. Engine, exhaust are the same.

In general the M-sport cars do not have M mirrors. You see some around though, I think they are special options or late model cars where BMW sticks all the nice bits on them to sell them, this can depend on the country too.

So like Paul said, an M-sport is really just cosmetics, other than the suspension, different steering wheel and possibly different diff.

PS: On an E39, the M-sport should have black headlining and pillars, but note some E39 M5s were optioned with Alcantara headlining which I don't think you can get on an M-sport. Some earlier cars, ie: 1994 E36 325 M-sport didn't come with black headlining.

But the 540 that i was lookin at had msport seats and suspension but did not have the m sport body kit so do you call it an msport or not?

You bring up a good point - all my comments above assumed M-sports were the later cars in each generation. It seems the earlier cars of each generation have an M-Sport/M-Tech kit that don't look like the M kits. For example, 1998-2000 M-Sport E46 looks very different to E46 M3, 1996-1998 M-Sport E39 to the E39 M5. The earlier E39 M-Sports seem to have normal bumpers but with attachments like flippers and whatnot.

Unless those M-Sports aren't 'true' M-Sports? I'm sure BMW has a different name for them, maybe Aerodynamic Kit or something.

Unless those M-Sports aren't 'true' M-Sports? I'm sure BMW has a different name for them, maybe Aerodynamic Kit or something.

and there in lies the problem..what IS an msport? and a lot of people call their cars M sport or mtech when they dont have even one mtech or msport option.I think the dealers call the body kit Msport

and there in lies the problem..what IS an msport? and a lot of people call their cars M sport or mtech when they dont have even one mtech or msport option.I think the dealers call the body kit Msport

The single biggest problem is the dilution of the M sport brand, now there is an M sport 316,320, 525, etc.

Thats why everyone is confused & everyone thinks they have an M car, BMW has further diluted the M cars thru mass production line building,100,000 E46 M3's.

Hi, after doing a little searching on this I still can't get a clear picture of what it entails, M sport 540 v M sport 530 to name but one. Their seems to be so many variations available so are the differences through out the whole vehicle or only cosmetic ie seats, lights, steering wheel, bumpers etc. and if so what are they, how do these changes if at all change the characteristics of the vehicle.

Cheers Allan

for your purposes allan an e39 540 vs e39 530 should be the same (if of similar year),ie a late e39 msprt should look very very similar(in and out) to an E39 M5 and will have bigger wheels and a slightly lower firmer ride than a std (non msprt car)

AFAIK all genuine 530i Motorsports had a single large exhaust out the back.

instead of?

Thanks guys for the help it makes it as clear as mud haha! So I ran this CK19905 plus a couple others through the decoder and it gave no indication they were 530i m sport or did I miss something. Or obtain the build sheet for the vehicle concerned as was mentioned would that help?.

Cheers Allan

instead of?

Nothing. e.g.

Genuine motorsport

Posted Image

Non-motorsport

Posted Image

e39 i'm talking about

EDIT: Although the E39 isn't a good example because you don't usually see many if any fake msports. Apart from those 520's with the M5 kits, and ofcourse that makes it a Msport :lol:

Edited by Nick021

Thanks guys for the help it makes it as clear as mud haha! So I ran this CK19905 plus a couple others through the decoder and it gave no indication they were 530i m sport or did I miss something. Or obtain the build sheet for the vehicle concerned as was mentioned would that help?.

Cheers Allan

you wont se anything from the vin unless you compare some M sport parts.You may then see that you have some of those parts on that car.Build sheet mate.It will tell you all options.

Nothing. e.g.

e39 i'm talking about

yep you ar right,but the body kit is a giveaway too!

I have often wondered what the differences are also.

After driving the 545i and 545i-M I wouldn’t have even considered a non M, they drive very differently. Somehow BMW have managed to make the M steer and handle better without sacrificing ride quality.

The bumpers, side skirts, seats, steering wheel, sill plates chrome deletion and wheels are nice also.

One thing M should add. An LSD!!

I think the build sheet is the way to go.

I'm quite keen on this 540i especially if it has the essential MSport bits ..it has MSport steering wheel,unknown factory bodykit, sports seats. Have no idea about suspension yet.

Blue 540

So it's either a bargin or a 540 highline in drag?

AFAIK all genuine 530i Motorsports had a single large exhaust out the back.

I think all E39 M-sports do, not just 530 or 540. I used to think it was just the 540 but I drove a 528 that had that exhaust. Does anyone know if it's just a tip? Wonder how it attaches because IIRC the E39 stock exhaust points downwards (hidden behind the rear bumper)

After driving the 545i and 545i-M I wouldn’t have even considered a non M, they drive very differently. Somehow BMW have managed to make the M steer and handle better without sacrificing ride quality.

I agree... I think the firmer suspension and the larger/wider wheels gives more road feel.

I'm quite keen on this 540i especially if it has the essential MSport bits ..it has MSport steering wheel,unknown factory bodykit, sports seats. Have no idea about suspension yet.

Blue 540

Bodykit looks to be AC Schnitzer. Nice wheels too.

I was reading on the us sites that the e39 m-sport models had revised automatic transmission logic i.e faster shift times, won't change gears till higher rpm compared to a non-sport e39... offcourse u cant believe everything u read on the net.

Blue 540

definetley seats and steering wheel,get the chassis number (last seven numbers of the vin) and go to the deaer and ask for the build sheet.That will show all the options