Sign in to follow this  
M3_guy

Looking at a E30 318i to buy, What to lookout for?

Hi, Im looking at a e30 318i manual to buy and use it as a daily runner.

What should I watch out for? Any common issues and where do the rust appear usually?

Also What kind of fuel consumption can I expect from it? Its facelife model.

After a stint trying to use a e34 535i as a daily I want something which is reasonable on gas.

Any Input will be much appreciated thanks!

I have a mint E30 facelift 316I manual coupe for sale. I doubt if you'll find better anywhere. Drives better than most 318's Ive driven

Check it here

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=15281

Bravo has driven this car

Cheers

Glenn

Edited by botanymotorworx

Bravo has driven this car

And gives it 4 thumbs up. Posted Image

Great little e30.

seriously..its another car to run and insure and register and wof...will all those costs inclg purchase price outweigh the running costs of the 535,unless the 535 is going to be sold of course

seriously..its another car to run and insure and register and wof...will all those costs inclg purchase price outweigh the running costs of the 535,unless the 535 is going to be sold of course

I bought a cheap corolla as a runabout, sure I had to invest a little extra money, but now, when I don't have the money to drive the 540i everyday, it just sits parked up, then on weekends etc she comes out to play.

Worked great for me, however, I only paid $500 for my registered/warranted corolla, don't know if you can get an e30 that cheap.

Worked out well for me, try do the maths and see how you get along.

Edited by Creaver

I bought a cheap corolla as a runabout, sure I had to invest a little extra money, but now, when I don't have the money to drive the 540i everyday, it just sits parked up, then on weekends etc she comes out to play.

Worked great for me, however, I only paid $500 for my registered/warranted corolla, don't know if you can get an e30 that cheap.

thats the way to do it...

What should I watch out for? Any common issues and where do the rust appear usually?

After a stint trying to use a e34 535i as a daily I want something which is reasonable on gas.

Rust under the battery and in the cabin vent intake area is common, wet carpet is a give away.

Worn cam shaft and or noisy tappets are common too.

My auto 318 gets 11km/L around town and 13km/L on a trip, a 5 speed should do better.

Make sure you find out when the timing belt was last done too or do it straight away.

Don't know about you, but if I had a V8 BMW in the garage, I couldn't handle driving an old $500 shitter for the sake of saving a few bucks!

How much money do you want to spend?

Don't know about you, but if I had a V8 BMW in the garage, I couldn't handle driving an old $500 shitter for the sake of saving a few bucks!

Saves more than a few bucks...especially on a students wage.