Sign in to follow this  
normsmith

Bad news about manufacturer's warranty

Hi,

I was given some bad news yesterday and was wondering what people think about this.

In short, I bought a 2007 BMW 323i (imported from Japan) from a non-BMW dealer earlier this year. The dealer said the vehicle had a manufacturer's warranty that BMW would honour. Actually I can't remember whether they said whether BMW NZ would honour it or just BMW in general.

Yesterday I was organising servicing for my car and started talking to the guys at Jerry Clayton's about the manufactuer's warranty. They told me that BMW NZ will not cover the costs associated with repairs on my car and I would have to seek compensation from BMW Japan! I was also informed that this is a difficult process and there is next to no chance of me getting my money back if there is an issue with the car.

What do you think about this? If something was to go wrong with my car would I be screwed? I guess I would be facing two options if something did happen i.e. 1) get the car fixed by an authorised repair workshop and try to claim from BMW Japan or 2) give up on the warranty and get the car fixed by an unofficial, but reliable, workshop like BMWorkshop. Option 1 would be dearer but there is a chance I could get my money back, while Option 2 is cheaper but I don't get my money back.

I am also thinking about getting an AA warranty on the car. What do you think about this? It is quite pricey at $1500 for 3 years.

Thanks

Norm

Norm..I have just checked with BMW NZ

Your car has a 2yr international warranty

It must be repaired by an official BMW agent

You must pay the costs

You then claim back from BMW Japan

This does not include standard servicing

Just warranty repairs

Cheers

Glenn

Norm,

First thig you should do is go back to the dealer who sold you the car. If he stated that BMW would honour the manufactures warranty, then get them to show proof of this. If they can't and you can prove what they said originally, (it must be in writing) then you will have the basis for a case at the Motor vehicle dealers tribunal.

Secondly, if you want a warranty, them pm me. I can do 3 year Driveright warranties for your car and save you $300.00.

Norm..I have just checked with BMW NZ

Your car has a 2yr international warranty

It must be repaired by an official BMW agent

You must pay the costs

You then claim back from BMW Japan

This does not include standard servicing

Just warranty repairs

Cheers

Glenn

Hi, yes I do realise that. I wasn't talking about servicing as much as any future issues I might encoutner with my car and having to make the claim from BMW Japan which would be a difficult proposition as compared to dealing with someone locally. Having no idea who to talk to in Japan would not be a good start plus there are the language issues etc.

Norm,

First thig you should do is go back to the dealer who sold you the car. If he stated that BMW would honour the manufactures warranty, then get them to show proof of this. If they can't and you can prove what they said originally, (it must be in writing) then you will have the basis for a case at the Motor vehicle dealers tribunal.

Secondly, if you want a warranty, them pm me. I can do 3 year Driveright warranties for your car and save you $300.00.

Thanks for that. I will email the dealer and ask them what their position is on this. All else fails I'll get the warranty from elsewhere.

Hi, yes I do realise that. I wasn't talking about servicing as much as any future issues I might encoutner with my car and having to make the claim from BMW Japan which would be a difficult proposition as compared to dealing with someone locally. Having no idea who to talk to in Japan would not be a good start plus there are the language issues etc.

Unfortunately... the price you pay for getting an import at a better price. And I dont mean that in a bad way.

You need to take this up with the dealer you bought it from here and see what he says. I hope it was written on the window card. In the event of something going wrong you could try hanging it on him. After all you bought it on the understanding it still had dealer warranty.

And yes I would buy a mechanical warranty, just to cover yourself

Unfortunately... the price you pay for getting an import at a better price. And I dont mean that in a bad way.

You need to take this up with the dealer you bought it from here and see what he says. I hope it was written on the window card. In the event of something going wrong you could try hanging it on him. After all you bought it on the understanding it still had dealer warranty.

And yes I would buy a mechanical warranty, just to cover yourself

Thanks mate.

I hope you sold yourself one Brian :rolleyes:

I hope you sold yourself one Brian :rolleyes:

Would this have anything to do with ABS pumps Glenn?

Would this have anything to do with ABS pumps Glenn?

That and anything else that could pop up in the future

let us know how you get on with BMW Japan.

How would you even contact them, one would think the warranty would be void.

Just think you saved 20k by purchasing a import. I was thinking the other day how scary it would be to own a E60 M5 now they are out of warranty after Glenn mentioned a clutch Pac alone is $6k!

let us know how you get on with BMW Japan.

How would you even contact them, one would think the warranty would be void.

Just think you saved 20k by purchasing a import. I was thinking the other day how scary it would be to own a E60 M5 now they are out of warranty after Glenn mentioned a clutch Pac alone is $6k!

I have no idea how I would contact BMW Japan. I hope it never has to come to that. As for savings, I don't think I saved that much ... about 10k tops.

I have no idea how I would contact BMW Japan. I hope it never has to come to that. As for savings, I don't think I saved that much ... about 10k tops.

Approx 2 years ago I imported a 2001 E39 BMW from an auction house in Japan and was faced with trying to find some info about the Nav system and inbuilt cellphone unit. Having no luck with local BMW agents I emailed to info@bmw.co.jp with my questions. While it took a few days for them to react I got an excellent detailled reply in perfect English from their "customer centre". certainly worth a shot to clarify the warranty matter

Also.

International and Diplomatic Sales.

We would like to thank you for your interest in the BMW brand. The BMW Japan International and Diplomatic Sales program is a unique service designed especially for international customers and diplomats. Our goal is to make the ownership experience of your new BMW rewarding, convenient, and trouble free. Here is a short summary of the benefits:

- Professional sales consultation in English, including Japan specific

purchase related information

- Support in all administrative steps in the process of registering your

car in Japan

- Professional after sales hospitality by an English-speaking sales

consultant

- English-speaking navigation system and on-board computer

- English labeled interior functions and features

- Special financial packages and systems, created to meet the needs

of international clientele in Japan

- Dense dealer network in Japan

We frequently have attractive special campaigns for new and approved used cars, please inquire for detailed information.

This section is to assist you with all major enquiries relating to your purchase.

BMW Japan Special Sales

Tel: +81-(0) 3-6259-8333

Fax: +81-(0) 3-6259-8428

e-mail: jp-diplomatic.sales@list.bmw.com

Also.

International and Diplomatic Sales.

We would like to thank you for your interest in the BMW brand. The BMW Japan International and Diplomatic Sales program is a unique service designed especially for international customers and diplomats. Our goal is to make the ownership experience of your new BMW rewarding, convenient, and trouble free. Here is a short summary of the benefits:

- Professional sales consultation in English, including Japan specific

purchase related information

- Support in all administrative steps in the process of registering your

car in Japan

- Professional after sales hospitality by an English-speaking sales

consultant

- English-speaking navigation system and on-board computer

- English labeled interior functions and features

- Special financial packages and systems, created to meet the needs

of international clientele in Japan

- Dense dealer network in Japan

We frequently have attractive special campaigns for new and approved used cars, please inquire for detailed information.

This section is to assist you with all major enquiries relating to your purchase.

BMW Japan Special Sales

e-mail: jp-diplomatic.sales@list.bmw.com

Well, there you go. Might not be as bad as I initially thought. I am going to email these guys and see what they have to say about honouring their manufacturer's warranty.

Good on you for bringing it up, im sure a few people on here would be keen to find out how you get on.

I wonder if parts are as cheap as the cars in Japan.

Hey Norm... have you actualy got a problem ??? or is paranoia (spelling) setting in ???

Hey Norm... have you actualy got a problem ??? or is paranoia (spelling) setting in ???

Haha, nah mate no problems. Car's running beautifully. I guess it is a bit of paranoia but then I've always been a cautious type of person.

Haha, nah mate no problems. Car's running beautifully. I guess it is a bit of paranoia but then I've always been a cautious type of person.

I would strongly suggest going out and buying that mechanical warranty then.... for peace of mind

Hi,

I was given some bad news yesterday and was wondering what people think about this.

In short, I bought a 2007 BMW 323i (imported from Japan) from a non-BMW dealer earlier this year. The dealer said the vehicle had a manufacturer's warranty that BMW would honour. Actually I can't remember whether they said whether BMW NZ would honour it or just BMW in general.

Problem found.

Also.

e-mail: jp-diplomatic.sales@list.bmw.com[/i]

I've emailed both BMW Japan and the dealer I bought the car off. As of yet no responses.

I've emailed both BMW Japan and the dealer I bought the car off. As of yet no responses.

how old is the car...the 2 yrs would be just about up?

Approx 2 years ago I imported a 2001 E39 BMW from an auction house in Japan and was faced with trying to find some info about the Nav system and inbuilt cellphone unit. Having no luck with local BMW agents I emailed to info@bmw.co.jp with my questions. While it took a few days for them to react I got an excellent detailled reply in perfect English from their "customer centre". certainly worth a shot to clarify the warranty matter

If you want info about nav and phone and how to make it all work in NZ, I can help. I've made loads of E39s work perfectly. All using oriignal BMW equipment.