Sign in to follow this  
BM WORLD

been busy lately

just been clearing up my yard , thought i might as well stick this 4L v8 that came from a e34 540iT i stripped , into a 94 530i v8 shell i have had sitting around for ages .

got it in late this afternoon( by myself with help from the load leveler on the engine hoist ) , and fired it up (just wanted to make sure it started as i was fitting to a 530i shell), but havn't finished all the plumbing , gear linkages , exhaust , drive shaft etc .

there is no traction control in this 530i shell , might fit a lsd to the diff or change the ratio to a higher geared diff from the 540i or 750i etc .

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

empty your inbox please Brent

got it going today .

had have a mechanic freind help , had to change the rear inner drive flanges (where the axles bolt up to behind the brakes)

as the 540i driveshaft wouldn't bolt to the diff (smaller 530i v8 diff) so had to swap the diff to the 540i one then the axles where to small as well so swap those out for some 535i ones and fit outer drive flanges from a 750i rear end . had to use a hub puller (very tight)

all fitted up now, fitted the exhaust etc and test drive . seams to go ok , developed a miss ( i think water or oil in spark plug holes )

have to sort a few electrical gremlins ( bongs warings about tail light dip light ,lic plate light etc )

and clean up heaps (been sitting in a paddock for about 8 months etc ).

got it going today .

had have a mechanic freind help , had to change the rear inner drive flanges (where the axles bolt up to behind the brakes)

as the 540i driveshaft wouldn't bolt to the diff (smaller 530i v8 diff) so had to swap the diff to the 540i one then the axles where to small as well so swap those out for some 535i ones and fit outer drive flanges from a 750i rear end . had to use a hub puller (very tight)

all fitted up now, fitted the exhaust etc and test drive . seams to go ok , developed a miss ( i think water or oil in spark plug holes )

have to sort a few electrical gremlins ( bongs warings about tail light dip light ,lic plate light etc )

and clean up heaps (been sitting in a paddock for about 8 months etc ).

Seems like a overly painful way to do it brent!?!?!

Did you not have the rear half of the 530 driveshaft to use??

Glad it's all going though

Seems like a overly painful way to do it brent!?!?!

Did you not have the rear half of the 530 driveshaft to use??

Glad it's all going though

na i wouldn't have worked . they have the join in different parts of the shaft . i could have maybe used a rear section from a e34 535ia but then i thought i might have vibration issues with balance and also the all that torque through a mdeium case ,axles , shaft etc would not be a good idea .

so wnt for the large case set up .

check the wiring at the boot hinge for broken/shorted wires( although I am sure you know that e34 failing)

"just been clearing up my yard , thought i might as well stick this 4L v8 that came from a e34 540iT i stripped , into a 94 530i v8 shell i have had sitting around for ages ."

I really envy people with mechanical skills, i have trouble tying my damn shoe laces let alone fitting an engine.

Nice work mate.

I really envy people with mechanical skills, i have trouble tying my damn shoe laces let alone fitting an engine.

I second that!

Nice work Brent!

I agree, you have a great bunch of projects Brent.

I'd be due a hospital visit with my mechanical ineptitude if I tried that.

Happy New Year too!

cheers guys .

just one nut and bolt at a time .

happy new year . sold the 540i now .

looking at doing a e36 340i 5spd coupe maybe soon

cheers guys .

just one nut and bolt at a time .

happy new year . sold the 540i now .

looking at doing a e36 340i 5spd coupe maybe soon

You gonna try what Marty told my mate Max? Taking M60 auto trans bellhousing, cutting it off and welding it up to an m30 gearbox? When he told me that I thought what an awesome idea. Where would you get the computer from?

You gonna try what Marty told my mate Max? Taking M60 auto trans bellhousing, cutting it off and welding it up to an m30 gearbox? When he told me that I thought what an awesome idea. Where would you get the computer from?

yes might look into that idea once i have the engine out of the donar car . engine will run on the standard 540i computer no problems,

will get a adaptor bellhousing plate made like this guys one . http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-196605038.htm

Posted Image

and have to make or buy a flywheel and clutch etc .

Isn't the computer different for a manual version?

*edit* where would you get an adapter made?

Edited by Creaver

Isn't the computer different for a manual version?

*edit* where would you get an adapter made?

they are probably tuned a little different ( i can unplug the trans computer and the engine still feels and sounds fine). but will still work ok , can always get them reprogrammed by gavin bellar if you like .

i will try the the custom work shop in drury to see if they will do it .

i will try the the custom work shop in drury to see if they will do it .

I like the E36 340i idea!

If you get stuck, there is a guy here in Lower Hutt that does it all the time.

His latest was his 4x4 competition truck, which runs a mid mounted M70 mated to a MR2 Turbo Gearbox with a twin plate clutch.

Great work, excellent to see that KIWI ingenuity at work .... keep that info coming maybe even a youtube or 2

looking forward to seeing your E series coupe build up ... was looking around and found this site

thought you guys might find this of interest.

E36 = M5 compact V8

:P

Posted Image

and have to make or buy a flywheel and clutch etc .

When you get the adaptor plate made you also need to get a spacer made to go between the crankshaft & flywheel. You make this the same thickness as the adaptor plate and use longer flywheel bolts. It has to be made very accurately though, and then you only have to use the clutch for the apropriate gearbox. I did this years ago when I put a 308 in a Toyota crown. I think the adaptor plate in the picture looks a bit "Rangi". If you get one made up, get it milled properly so it looks the part and remove all the excess material (weight)

WHat do you do about the spigot? Surely it would end up too short to fit in the bearing in the crankshaft?

Is this where the adapter for the flywheel comes in? (Spigot bearing in centre of adapter)

If the flywheel is spaced back too, what is the story with the starter motor???

Also, wouldn't this make your flywheel heavier?

WHat do you do about the spigot? Surely it would end up too short to fit in the bearing in the crankshaft?

Is this where the adapter for the flywheel comes in? (Spigot bearing in centre of adapter)

If the flywheel is spaced back too, what is the story with the starter motor???

Also, wouldn't this make your flywheel heavier?

The spigot bearing goes into the spacer and the starter bolts to the bell housing you are going to use. If the engine carries the starter on the block, that has to be modified so that the starter mounting gets incorporated with the adaptor. The spacer wont weigh much, any concerns there, just lighten the flywheel

Edited by *Glenn*

Oh yep, I can visualise it. Sweet.

yes will look into all these options , or maybe cut front of donar box off and weld new one too it so the spacing is the same .