Sign in to follow this  
wms

What $4k buys these days...

My new daily driver is what it buys!! I can't believe the value of some cars these days.

I just bought a mint 1992 535i with full sport kit - Recaro interior - Shadowline in & out.

I have been looking for ages and could not pass this one up.

This must be one of the last unmolested examples left.

Its got 145kms ex Japan no rust totally mint - only issue is the vinyl is coming away from 1 door panel.

All service records came with it even the Japanese ones this car also has never been pulled up in a WOF for anything, not even a blown lightbulb!! Ive only had it a week and im in love with it.

Photos do NOT do this car justice.

Plans: I have a mint 5-speed im gonna stick in it. Also I have lots of black interior parts from M5 to go in + clear indicators and a general clean-up but im not gonna mess with this car... Possibly add a set of M-Paras or that set of super sick 19" BBS CH on tardme ATM - opinions peoples? Should I fit my Hella DE's or is that over the top?

I forgot to mention also that the diff ratio is much shorter than my 535i SE - likes to rev higher on motorway?

What does that mean? I know 535i manual sports have a different ratio... what makes a real E34 SPORT?

Experts?

So now I own 2x535i's and a sad E30 - which reminds me, if anyone needs a facelift E30 318i coupe roller (is complete just a bit of rust in roof & windscreen - interior stripped) for teh race series or parts please PM me - I need this gone and may let it go for a box of Steinlager depending on how nice you are.

post-586-1217431731_thumb.jpg

post-586-1217431737_thumb.jpg

post-586-1217431760_thumb.jpg

post-586-1217431767_thumb.jpg

Edited by Maccoretti

the sports have a 3.64 diff(the manuals) vs 3.46.Mine does 2250 at 1000 ks.the e24 and e28 x35s had ratios which equate to more like 1800 rpm at 100 k=better fuel economy.BMW did everything they could to extract useable (and cheap)performance out of the old M30 in the e34.Looks a nice car.

Mine does 2250 at 1000 ks.

Gee thats pretty good going

So now I own 2x535i's and a sad E30 - which reminds me, if anyone needs a facelift E30 318i coupe roller (is complete just a bit of rust in roof & windscreen - interior stripped) for teh race series or parts please PM me - I need this gone and may let it go for a box of Steinlager depending on how nice you are.

Hi, interested in the coupe E30, what area are you please?

Nice car, ive viewed it myself and was pretty tidy. Good that your going 5 spd

that's a great buy! E34's are sooooo cheap these days!

Nice, extremely tidy and extremely cheap!

Another nice E34! Notice a few more being bought by Bimmersport members.What rpm does she do @ 100k's?

'Daily driver' hard on gas these babies!

'Daily driver' hard on gas these babies!

Shhh Boris, don't put him off ;)

Nice find mate, looks very tidy, especially the interior.

What colour is it btw?

M Parallels will look great, not so sure about the CH on the E34. They seem to suit the more modern shapes better.

Tidy,well done.

rev wise,i got the same story.its got a 3.91 in the back. so revs round the 3400 at 140kph.

if you want to drop the ratio's abit,got a few gears/boxes about the place.

check if its large or medium case diff

Tidy,well done.

rev wise,i got the same story.its got a 3.91 in the back. so revs round the 3400 at 140kph.

if you want to drop the ratio's abit,got a few gears/boxes about the place.

check if its large or medium case diff

3.91 is pretty high for 3400 at 140 isnt it?

3.91 is pretty high for 3400 at 140 isnt it?

yep,very high.great to get off the mark etc.alittle annoying at speed

Great buy! We saw this for sale a while back, were sorely tempted up ended up going for an E46.

So much for the money!

Also would you possibly sell the E30's facelift front bumper/valence and rear bumper?

yep,very high.great to get off the mark etc.alittle annoying at speed

forgive me, I think you took my question the wrong way. I mean, isn't 3400 at 140 low for such a high ratio? I guess not by the sounds of it.

If you need a comparison my 535is gives these figures:

80km 1750rpm

100km 2200rpm

120km 2600

140km 3100

Revs are a tweak low.

80km 1750rpm

100km 2200rpm

120km 2600

140km 3100

Revs are a tweak low.

Thanks guys.

nice buy . saw that one on TM ages ago , then gone , then back on .

would have brought that one if i didn't have the others , hard to get those seats .

yes my alpina wanna be also had the 3.91 med case diff , too revvy for me , when i converted it to a 5 spd manual i put a 3.45 lsd large case in , just about right for me .

some of the early 535i 5psd from uk had 3.25 but a bit tall for the weight of the car and torque .

most of the later nz new and imports got the 3.64 large case .

nice car .

i would go to big on the wheels 18" might be a bit bouncy for nz roads if you like to get out of town a bit .

just go 17" and get the widest ones you can get in there .

these cars will take a 10" rim in the back and 8.5" in the front with no probs .

275tyres rear and 255 tyres front .

Thanks for your comments guys...I am very pleased to see interest in it - Ive been questioning my decision to buy an old car for daily service. Anyway itll come off the road @ 150kms for manual conversion & ill switch back to my UK SE hack.

Shhh Boris, don't put him off ;)

Yeah you 540 boys know the deal...ive been daily driving 535i's for about 5 years now.

If I chose a less ridiculous everyday vehicle I might have been able to afford a newer BMW.

Nice find mate, looks very tidy, especially the interior.

What colour is it btw?

M Parallels will look great, not so sure about the CH on the E34. They seem to suit the more modern shapes better.

Colour is Lazurblau Metallic. Im thinking M-Parallels primarily - I think its important when building a BMW to use only BMW parts AND make sure you don't feel like a dork when you outgrow your taste in aftermarket goodies.

80km 1750rpm

100km 2200rpm

120km 2600

140km 3100

Revs are a tweak low.

Im pretty sure mine is pulling slightly higher RPMs than that - from memory its pulling maybe 125kmh at 3000rpm - in comparison my UK import SE is just over 2000RPM at around the same speed.

Also the SE will shift into overdrive at exactly 60kmh - the new one is changing at around 50kmh.

Ill repost results when I drive home this morning from work. :S

Edited by Maccoretti

Thanks for your comments guys...I am very pleased to see interest in it - Ive been questioning my decision to buy an old car for daily service. Anyway itll come off the road @ 150kms for manual conversion & ill switch back to my UK SE hack.

Yeah you 540 boys know the deal...ive been daily driving 535i's for about 5 years now.

If I chose a less ridiculous everyday vehicle I might have been able to afford a newer BMW.

Colour is Lazurblau Metallic. Im thinking M-Parallels primarily - I think its important when building a BMW to use only BMW parts AND make sure you don't feel like a dork when you outgrow your taste in aftermarket goodies.

Im pretty sure mine is pulling slightly higher RPMs than that - from memory its pulling maybe 125kmh at 3000rpm - in comparison my UK import SE is just over 2000RPM at around the same speed.

Also the SE will shift into overdrive at exactly 60kmh - the new one is changing at around 50kmh.

Ill repost results when I drive home this morning from work. :S

keep an eye on TM and the like,nice wheels come up now and then,i got my 17x8.5 in wide BBS basketweaves...

please dont wiat 5 years for your next service.My car is very original too,part of the appeal for me,still has the original sony (bmw labelled) stereo!