Sign in to follow this  
User Name

Polishing my engine

Hi Guys

im abit of a novice when it comes to polishing and i was wundering if any one could give me any info on what to use

i currently have a air compressor with lots of attachments

and just wanted to know what i should be using

im manily looking to make my engine shine and be polished so it looks good

any help would be appreciated

Cheers

I thought most modern BMW have a big plastic top? I think the engine compartment is a bit small to call for air-tools.

You have an e28 right? so not much plastic going on in there.

Best to start with a steam clean if you can get hold of a steam cleaner. Everything gets wet but if you avoid the fuse box, relays, coil, etc then you'll be right. You can even use some detergent to help move stubborn grease. When done, get your air compressor out and use a straight air gun to blow dry everything paying extra attention to around sparkplugs etc. Car should start up just fine. Will and I have done it a least a dozen times to various bmws with no ill effects.

Then you can get in with a rag, toothbrush etc (and your polishing tool if your dead keen on using it and get into all the nooks and crannies. Kerosene dissolves oil fast if soap and water isn't strong enough. Wash the kerosene off with soap and water or simply wipe with a rag and leave a protective film of kero (it'll either prevent rust spots, or attract dust so its a gamble).

The use silicon spray around plastics and rubbers to get them to shine. it to can attract dust though. If you have the silicon spray you could spray around all your plugs before you steam clean for extra insurance.

Its slow work, but can transform an engine bay.

Thanks for that bravo

yea your right its a e28 and lots of metal to polish but worth the mish, im getting rid of all the rust on the block at the same time

Does any one know what good, sanding grits are best to use and then off course a buffer after, ive done a rough clean with a wirebrush brings out some shine but need to sand it with something finer to get it looking nicer

Cheers

Is it possible to clean the engine up without the steam cleaner or air compressor? i.e. just using degreaser, detergent and hot water?

If it is can anyone recommend a decent engine degreaser.

Thanks very much.

PS How did yours work out in the end Kym?