Sign in to follow this  
joshnz

Drivers side window stuck in the down position

Was rewiring my sub before, drivers side window was half down, when I reconnected the battery it was stuck in that position and would not go up any higher than about half way.

So I disconnect battery to see if that would change anything (like it did before) not its stuck totally down.

The motor is fine, and it would go up and down before hand, but only to a certain point.

Could anyone shed some light on this, I have pulled the door apart but can't see anything wrong with the motor/window assembly etc.

Cheers

Fixed itself.

Fuses were fine.

Closed the door, tried again and it worked, stupid little electrical gremlins.

Josh=newb

Fixed itself.

Fuses were fine.

Closed the door, tried again and it worked, stupid little electrical gremlins.

Josh=newb

Thats normal on a coupe. You have to close the door and do a window reset. You hold the switch in the up position for 10 secs after it has closed and do the same in the down position

My window in my coupe is doing something similar at the moment too. Only when you press the button for the window to go up it makes a grinding sound. So I have to give the window a bit of a push with my hand and it will go up about 5" then stop and make the grinding sound again..

Im thinking it would just be easiest to replace the electric window motor?

My window in my coupe is doing something similar at the moment too. Only when you press the button for the window to go up it makes a grinding sound. So I have to give the window a bit of a push with my hand and it will go up about 5" then stop and make the grinding sound again..

That will be the regulator or slide clips doing that on an E36

Yup

My drivers side window fell out the other day. Damned annoying as it was snowing haha

Thank the Gods for mechanical warranty.

Mind you the garage is finding it hard to find a new window regulator (Craig Gilberts)

Edited by sp8s

Both of my last 2 Golfs ended up doing that too - so it isn't limited to BMW's....

ARGH!!! My passenger window falls out too! So fricken annoying - esp when I have a noob (i.e. my wife) in the front seat who doesn't realise...or like the other day when I leant my car to someone, took them about an hour longer than I thought...b/c they were fixing the window! LOL

I've only ever had a look at it to put it back on the rail and wind it up, but not actually fix it permanently. Is this likely something I can so myself, or do I need to 'take it in' as it were?

Meanwhile, the little push things that hold the door lining are either getting stuffed or breaking their glue to the lining. Any advice here? Obviously I can just reglue the OK ones, but getting replacements for the stuffed ones etc...am I best just to get new linings compeltely?

Cheers,

Jeff