Sign in to follow this  
SIR E30

Suspension Upgrade Options

Hey guys, Im lookin at doing some suspension work on my 1988 325i Touring and I need some advice.

I want to lower it and make it alot stiffer, it has quite alot of body roll at the moment and is a bit boat-like. It has motorsport springs in the back, but I dont know what is in the front.

Is the suspension the same in the tourings as it is in the sedans?

Coilovers VS Lowering springs and new shocks, which is better, how hard is it to do coilovers and how much more do they cost.

Is it better to compress standard springs or get new springs?

Which brand does a good spring?

How much am I lookin at roughly?

Any other suggestions would be good!

Cheers, Jason

hey mate

i have a 90 325 and i have got koni adjustable shocks all round and cobra springs with a higher spring rate but they were 50mm lower in the front and 40mm lower in the back. with the shocks on full hard it is really stiff like race car stiff. i think the set up is great because you can have it on soft for round town and turn to hard for some fun. also have nolathane bushs in front and rear. hope that helps

What your budget?

You can get a H&R & Bilstein spring\shock setup from Turner Motorsport for just under 1k shipped, good proven performance and good value for money

New suspension bushes will help alot too if yours are old.

I recently did Control arms, 22F\19R mm swaybars with mounts & reinforcements, subframe, trailing arms and billet rear shocks mounts. All Ireland engineering stuff. Im also running H&R\Bilstein sport combo, transformed the car, ride is firm but not harsh and still very comfortable.

hey mate

i have a 90 325 and i have got koni adjustable shocks all round and cobra springs with a higher spring rate but they were 50mm lower in the front and 40mm lower in the back. with the shocks on full hard it is really stiff like race car stiff. i think the set up is great because you can have it on soft for round town and turn to hard for some fun. also have nolathane bushs in front and rear. hope that helps

I like the idea of those shocks, how much are they worth? I want to go at least 50mm lower. Does cobra do a 50-60mm spring?

New suspension bushes will help alot too if yours are old.

I recently did Control arms, 22F\19R mm swaybars with mounts & reinforcements, subframe, trailing arms and billet rear shocks mounts. All Ireland engineering stuff. Im also running H&R\Bilstein sport combo, transformed the car, ride is firm but not harsh and still very comfortable.

Sounds expensive! How much if you dont mind me asking?

May have to come and see your car and go for a ride so I know what its like.

Cheers for the comments guys

Was about 1.3k all of the above. Freight was $300 but mainly due to the sway bars & they not really necessary.

Goto http://www.iemotorsport.com/ and check out their prices if you want

Yeah welcome to come have a ride, hopefully get around to putting in my lsd soon.

I like the idea of those shocks, how much are they worth? I want to go at least 50mm lower. Does cobra do a 50-60mm spring?

i think they were 250-300 each from stocks. yes they will make a spring to what ever you like, they are in chch and seem to make good springs and they are not expensive either

are touring suspension different from other e30s or are they specific?

IE would a 325i coupe/sedan fit a 6 cyclinder touring?

cheers

i know the 320 tourings had the big 325 struts and stuff in the front but im not 100% sure sorry

are touring suspension different from other e30s or are they specific?

IE would a 325i coupe/sedan fit a 6 cyclinder touring?

cheers

I think tourings have motorsport suspension so 52mm struts, sway bars, springs etc