Sign in to follow this  
monsta72

Engine Service

Hi guys

Took my baby in for her first service other day.Was told week before service would cost five hundred.

I dont mind too much what it cost as long as I get a fair deal and the service is whats needed.

I was hoping some one could look over this and tell me if this invoice is normal.

thanks for any and all advice.

ESale.doc

Wow that seems like heaps, did it need all of those things replaced? you can get an Inspection II service at Chch BMW for that.

I was shown the belt.It was perished and definately needed replacing but as for plugs I have to do the trust thing.

Thanks for the reply.

BMW have three or four different services...

oil service

inspection1

inspection 2

annual service.

which one was yours?did they reset service lights?

did they stamp your service book?

Yeah... which service was it that you took it in for?

For comparison, I took my car in for a service, and the oil change, oil filter, fluid check, air filter check etc cost $220

Thank you, we do appreciate your business

I bet they do! :D

This was my first service.I had oil service and inspection lit up on dash .They reset both lights and stamped my book for warranty purposes.

This wasnt done at my local dealers although the mechanic that performed the service does have a lot of experience with bmw.

I would have liked to get the inspection 2 service done as this was my first but was told this was eight hundred and fifty dollars.I dont have that kind of money at the moment.The missus gave me a hard enough time about the seven hundred.

I do have the the haynes and bently manuals.Any advice appreciated.

Where did you get that done mark?

Your car looking fine in your sig,luvin that m style front. :D

Edited by monsta72

Hmmm... just googled a list of items checked and replaced during each type of service:

Click here

And it seems that replacing the spark plugs is a component of the Inspection II service, not an Inspection I (in fact, spark plugs aren't even checked in Inspection I)

I'd ask for the spark plugs back to see if they're actually poked.

EDIT: Thanks for the comments bout my car! :D I had the service done at Leading Edge Automotive as they have the BOSCH diagnostic system. They did a good job, but they did try to charge like a wounded bull for a new battery. (I had the AA head round to their workshop and install one for 90 dollars less)

Edited by gannetboy

Thanks for the link.Very helpfull.

RE: your battery replacement,thats thinking with the right part of your anatomy :lol:

I will ring mechanic tomorrow and hopefully it was an inspection II although he didnt mention anything at the time and he knows im serious about the maintenance.

Since you pointed that out elmarco I checked my manual.It says 6.5 litres.Mmmm <_<

Edited by monsta72

Thanks for the link.Very helpfull.

RE: your battery replacement,thats thinking with the right part of your anatomy :lol:

I will ring mechanic tomorrow and hopefully it was an inspection II although he didnt mention anything at the time and he knows im serious about the maintenance.

Since you pointed that out elmarco I checked my manual.It says 6.5 litres.Mmmm <_<

I assume they charged you for the 2x full bottles. Nobody wants to use a half full bottle.

A good point normally but when I picked the car up the mechanic made a point of mentioning he was suprised that he'd used 8.5 litres.Where did it all go? :huh:

A good point normally but when I picked the car up the mechanic made a point of mentioning he was suprised that he'd used 8.5 litres.Where did it all go? :huh:

Checked your radiator :P?

inspection 1 should be: oil+filter,airfilter,s/plugs,micro-filter(when dirty it restricts all airflow into vents)and a through check of the car, only difference to insp 2 -diff oil(from 95 long life oil),brakes and v-belt when needed, make sure brake flush is done at least every 2years and good quality coolant ever 4 years-dont forget to check tyre pressure is set in BAR not psi(tyre wear)

Glenn would be the man to answer this, Botanymotorworx is his member name.

He should pop up sometime B)

Personaly, my opinion on the invoice charges, is that they are over the top. Genuine oil filters are $21.98 + GST

Bosch FR7LDC spark plugs should retail for $12.00 + GST

I have never had a 325 engine take 8 litres of oil... 6.5-7.25 max. The oil price is fair for full synthetic

Injector cleaner and engine flush costs are add ons to make money... did they actually do it ???

The Labour cost is reasonable and I would do a proper thorough inspection if I had not serviced the car before for about the same hours. With the owners consent. The job description is very brief for the actual time spent on the work carried out.

Just my opinion

Cheers

Glenn

$65/hr? BMW dealer charges around $80 (or is it $90) per hr.

McMillans are $120 + GST

Seems a little steep for something you could have possibly done yourself but hey at least you know next time huh?

Just PS, I had a Inspection 1 done on my E30 at my work JC BMW for $130 hehe

Maybe into your intake manifold hence the service of it..Its gotta go somewhere!

Seems a bit steep to me but im tight as a nun's :huh:

$65p/h is a cheap hourly rate.

A lot of that you can do yourself, should give it a go :)

Edited by tastic

Jeff Grey BMWn charged me about $40 an hour after I had a chat to the manager about e21's/e30's. This was when I was young and had no idea how to change my valve clearance.

Pity they stuffed it up, and said the suspension part I needed would cost $1200. I picked it up at partmaster for $25ish if I remember. If only I wasn't young and stupid, I would've gotten it done properly and wouldn't need a new head now.

I actually grew up knowing Jeff Grey, maybe I should talk to him about it!

Thanks guys for all your comments and feedback.

I took my haynes manual into the workshop and showed the mechanic the list of jobs for inspection 1 and 2.He assured me they had done all the checks for both inspections except the trans flush with filter,the micro filter and the fuel filter.I will sort these myself hopefully with some help from local bimmersport members.

The engine flush additive I picked up a few weeks before from the guy and added to engine the day before I took it in.(wynns engine flush)

I would like to do inspection 1 myself but have a mechanical warranty so need the mechanics stamp in the back of my book.

Im still not sure what to do for the next service but will decide in about another ten thousand kays.

Once again thanks for all your help and feedback,greatly appreciated.