Sign in to follow this  
oscar90

E30 engine transplant fitments

Theres afew SR20 E30's but i cant recall seeing a RB20 in one,

im guessing its partly a weight thing? but do RB's fit?

Nah. RB's are just sh*t bar the 26

haha whys this?

RB's over SR's any day!

nothing beats the sweet sound of a 6!

X2.

RB-20/25’s are a very heavy engine though.

Given I was going to transplant a Jap engine I would go with a Supercharged FC-20.

RB's over SR's any day!

nothing beats the sweet sound of a 6!

good man haha

i think if i did a transplant id do a RB, keep it straight 6, suits BMW's more IMO

so RB's do fit, just comes down to what your after in the car/personal preference

X2.

RB-20/25’s are a very heavy engine though.

Given I was going to transplant a Jap engine I would go with a Supercharged FC-20.

F20C? I agree, screaming straight four, just like an M3....but with a buttload more power....and cheaper than an S14 B)

....Not to mention one of the best six speeds in mass production.

As for RB's they're a lot cheaper than SR's these days and easier to find. Has just as many off-the-shelf bolt on goodies available too!

I agree - the RB straight 6 is in keeping with the e30. How much heavier is the RB over the std BMW engine? I wouldn't have thought there would have been much difference?

F20C? I agree, screaming straight four, just like an M3....but with a buttload more power....and cheaper than an S14 B)

....Not to mention one of the best six speeds in mass production.

As for RB's they're a lot cheaper than SR's these days and easier to find. Has just as many off-the-shelf bolt on goodies available too!

Yes I meant F20C I really like that engine, one of the best to come out of Japan, add a Supercharger to curb the lack of low down torque and youd be flying.

I agree - the RB straight 6 is in keeping with the e30. How much heavier is the RB over the std BMW engine? I wouldn't have thought there would have been much difference?

It’s quite a bit heavier believe it or not, but there weight is justified by their strength, you can boost the heck out of them before they pop unlike the SR20.

A Lexus V8 is a good option as it is reasonably light.

An F20C is over $6000 with box and loom last time I checked with Strongs.

The RB20 is a dog. If you are going to put an RB in the E30 go for the slightly more expensive RB25. But even a stock RB25 will get raped by a stock SR20.

If you want to stay 6 cylinder then I suggest you look at the much better 1JZGTE from Toyota. They are a far better motor all round than the RB20/25. Their bottom end is bullet proof. Have heard they hold well over 500hp on stock bottom end.

There is a few versions of the 1jzgte. The better one to go for is the 2nd Gen Single Turbo with VVT from the JZ100 Chaser. Or you can go for the twin turbo version from the Soarer.

Should also mention that the 1JZ has one of the best sounding exhaust notes. None of that underwater burbling the RB's make.

Edited by driftit

An F20C is over $6000 with box and loom last time I checked with Strongs.

The RB20 is a dog. If you are going to put an RB in the E30 go for the slightly more expensive RB25. But even a stock RB25 will get raped by a stock SR20.

If you want to stay 6 cylinder then I suggest you look at the much better 1JZGTE from Toyota. They are a far better motor all round than the RB20/25. Their bottom end is bullet proof. Have heard they hold well over 500hp on stock bottom end.

There is a few versions of the 1jzgte. The better one to go for is the 2nd Gen Single Turbo with VVT from the JZ100 Chaser. Or you can go for the twin turbo version from the Soarer.

Should also mention that the 1JZ has one of the best sounding exhaust notes. None of that underwater burbling the RB's make.

I wouldn’t say that, the SR20-DET is pretty weak stock with the exception of the few S15 180kw version’s they were only 150kw which is bugger all, I drove a stock NZ new 200SX years ago and it was quite slow actually. The RB-20DET was 158kw and RB25DET series one had 184kw and series two had 206kw.

But yea single turbo VVTI 1JZ-GTE goodness FTW. These will still set you back 5k from a wrecker.

But even a stock RB25 will get raped by a stock SR20.

REALLY?? sh*t

I'd be inclined to agree :D

It's more of a 'Howl' than I note I'd say.

Just personal preference really.

Missed RB30's in my post. LOVE 30 blocks, 25 heads.

Do it

Ive been looking at this, hense asking about engines that go in them, i want a project (unsure if this is wise or not yet haha)

its in a TINY TINY town out near Lincoln and looks like a holiday home at this stage as no ones there, just wanna know if they'll sell it, and if so whats wrong with it, carfax tells me rego is lapsed and last wof was early '07 so hmmmm

E30's grow on people :rolleyes: bloody things :lol:

E30 325i

Posted Image

Edited by HT.

iv done sr20 in myn and iv only done a few things to it and its bloody quick, im beating/keeping up with cars in the 11sec range now. nice and light with the sr20, rb's are very heavy

iv done sr20 in myn and iv only done a few things to it and its bloody quick, im beating/keeping up with cars in the 11sec range now. nice and light with the sr20, rb's are very heavy

What does your car run?

will be posting up times when i get my licence back to take it down the strip haha, putting another 5k in2 the engine b4 then also so itl be interesting, oh and changing the rims

Edited by IPLEZR