Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

TV screen has a blue and red line on it

A few weeks ago my tv screen got a straight blue line down one side of it (about a third of the way from the edge). I wasnt that bothered about it thinking, Ill sort that later. But yesterday I got a think red on the other side of the screen :(

I cant find anything easily on the web, but does anyone know if this means the screen is on its way out and needs replacing ?

I havent replaced any cables or anything recently but I have had a play with Jochens NavCoder software to turn the tv on all the time ;)

A few weeks ago my tv screen got a straight blue line down one side of it (about a third of the way from the edge). I wasnt that bothered about it thinking, Ill sort that later. But yesterday I got a think red on the other side of the screen :(

I cant find anything easily on the web, but does anyone know if this means the screen is on its way out and needs replacing ?

I havent replaced any cables or anything recently but I have had a play with Jochens NavCoder software to turn the tv on all the time ;)

This has to be one for Jochen or Hotwire to answer. Maybe its the screen failing ??

I've never had to deal with a fault like that before

A few weeks ago my tv screen got a straight blue line down one side of it Yesterday I got a thick red one on the other side of the screen :(

......I have had a play with Jochens NavCoder software to turn the tv on all the time ;)

the tv is trying to draw the english flag..:)

bad conection on one line of pixels . where the circuit conects to the edge of the lcd panel

bad conection on one line of pixels . where the circuit conects to the edge of the lcd panel

Thats what I thought, do you know if its fixable ?

Generally that kind of thing is not economical to repair, thus more economical to replace the actual screen as you know what you've got, thats if it's anything to go off with LCD panels on laptops.

Some laptop panels are 800 bucks at cost + 1 hours labour, so a 3 year old laptop thats worth 500 bucks in working condition is suddenly uneconomical to repair...

It's a bad contact problem from the LCD to the actual contact strip.

Can happen if you spill drinks down the screen - or too much dash cleaner etc.

Very hard to successfully dismantle, clean and reassemble, as the screen is pressed / clipped to the metal frame holding it - difficult to reassemble and achieve the same contact pressure. I wouldn't try myself.

You may want to use this as an incentive to replace the display with a 16:9 widescreen.

You may want to use this as an incentive to replace the display with a 16:9 widescreen.

Thanks for the info Jochen.

I dont need any incentive mate, just the spare cash....oh well ebay here I come :)

I do have a mint working 4:3 if thats what you currently have & don't want to go for the $$ in upgrading the monitor/video module to 16:9