Sign in to follow this  
JOHNS740I

Hey Guys

Hey guys how are ya today?

I move to NZ in about 3 weeks from across the ditch.

Not sure where yet it will depend where I can get work.

I have just put a deposit subject to inspection on a 1995 740I that appears to be

in excellent condition for it's age. This is an all new experience for me as I have

always owned Fords to date. But as I haven't owned my Ghia for 12 months NZ

won't let it in the country. * GRUMMBLES & MOANS*

Anyways just wanted to find a new forum in NZ and say hi.

Cheers John

Welcome John.

Not being able to bring the ford in isn’t the end of the world, im sure you’ll enjoy the beemer more anyway!

Hi John,

I'm sure you won't regret bringing the Ford over! :P

Look forward to some pics when you get over here.

Welcome

I'm assuming the 740 is in NZ?

If so,if you identify it on here chances are someone on the forum will have some info

And yeah the export thing works in reverse too.

As the other posters say I'm sure you'll enjoy the 740 MUCH more than any ford (no offense)

Welcome, we have corners over here. So the Ford won't be missed.

You'll enjoy having a car that handles.

Hey guys thanks for the kind hellos. Once we are there I will and some what settled

in I will post pics of the Beemer up for ya's to have a looky at.

As for your handling comment Cain.... you are only kidding ya self there I'm

afraid. Cars that are street legal that can out corner MY Ford are very very few

and far between. Many have tried and many have lost. That is the biggest reason I'm

spewin it can't come over. It is just built for those roads.

It's an Tickford enhanced AU Fairmont Ghia. It has been lowered around 3" right round,

has koni adjust shocks, hgue sway bars a must on such a big car, (the list goes on & on for suspension work)

a big brake kit (similar to brembo) but locally made in OZ. Sits on 18's. The only thing I didn't get around to

fitting is the blower and 6 speed termec manual and they will be done b4 it comes over in a few months time.

The car has been built by myself for track work while still having all the bells and whistles of a luxury car as it is

also a daily driver so I have tried to make a happy medium......didn't really work...lol.

post-3385-1220741125_thumb.jpg

That sounds like a challenge John. I've not found an Australian built Ford that actually could handle.

You'll have to take our old tank for a spin and compare.

Don't get me wrong it cost a fortune to get it to handle as well as it does. But money well

spent when ya hit the track or even better a mountain range and nothing can touch ya.

I will be very interested to see how well the 740i handles. Have wanted 1 for years

and to be honest apart from what I have read have no knowledge on these cars so

I will be tapping into the experience of you guys on here for advice as I want to know things.

The one thing that I am concerned about is from the pics I have seen the 740's appear to

have very small looking brakes for the size and weight of the vehicle.

You will be happily surprised. We had a 750iL on the track doing a slalom course and it was only 2 seconds slower than my car.

The brakes will need a road/race pad compound if you are going to drive it seriously on a track, otherwise, they are very good. The E38 has 302mm fronts and 300mm rears off memory.

Sweet I can live with that. I hate havin little brakes or cheap tyres...... not a good combo at all.

The standard Ford ones were total crap. WAY TO small.

What would be the best wheel tyre size for it?? Don't want to sacrifice comfort but.

Don't want rattles or rough. I'm a big boy 135kg. So that has to be taken into account for any

rough corners. At the end of the day I always own luxury cars for comfort. I have taken the Ford

almost beyond that point. Want the 740 for the daily driver but still gotta be fun. I'm sure ya know

what I mean.

Sweet I can live with that. I hate havin little brakes or cheap tyres...... not a good combo at all.

The standard Ford ones were total crap. WAY TO small.

What would be the best wheel tyre size for it?? Don't want to sacrifice comfort but.

Don't want rattles or rough. I'm a big boy 135kg. So that has to be taken into account for any

rough corners. At the end of the day I always own luxury cars for comfort. I have taken the Ford

almost beyond that point. Want the 740 for the daily driver but still gotta be fun. I'm sure ya know

what I mean.

same recipe as you have already followed...lower it a bit and some bigger sway bars,or a 740 sport.Dont know if we had them but the yanks make a big deal about them.not sure about the wheels but i would say 18 max before you lose ride