Sign in to follow this  
Andrew

BMW cancels plans to build E92 M3 CSL

Posted Image

Bavarian Motor Works has cancelled plans to produce the lighter, sharper and faster version of the E92 M3. Originally scheduled to arrive on the market by the summer of 2009, BMW will no longer be producing an E92 M3 CSL.

Ludwig Willisch, boss of BMW’s M division, told CAR Magazine that the automaker canned the project since it doesn’t make business sense. “Based on current numbers, there is most likely insufficient demand for the M3 CSL,” said Willisch.

BMW will instead focus its resources on the M-versions of the X5 and X6.

The E93 BMW M3 CSL was supposed to be powered by the same 4.0L V8 engine producing an extra 50 horsepower for a total of 470. To save weight, BMW was going to drop the radio, navigation and air-conditioning. A bunch of carbon fiber was to be added to the front apron, hood, roof, side panels and rear bumper.

It was going to make its debut at the 2009 Frankfurt Motor Show as a 2010 model.

Guest Simon*

Lame

They'd prefer to work on "MX5" and "MX6"s??? WTF? (Hope they don't use those model names!!!)

It's a shame, the CSL is a real flagship performance car for the brand I reckon.

They should just make all M models hard core CSL spec, after all M is supposed to stand for Motorsport.. You don’t need SAT-NZ and seat heaters on a track.

As for MX5 and MX6, what the fork!! I hope BMW doesn’t loose every bit of dignity and turn into a American car company.

They should just make all M models hard core CSL spec, after all M is supposed to stand for Motorsport.. You don’t need SAT-NZ and seat heaters on a track.

As for MX5 and MX6, what the fork!! I hope BMW doesn’t loose every bit of dignity and turn into a American car company.

dont agree...maybe the M3,but the m5 needs all those luxury features IMHO

Good stuff I say - the M3 was getting too fast and dangerous.

Maybe they'll do that Tii reincarnation using the 1 series coupe? Well, I hope they do at least one stripped out max attack version.

Maybe they'll do that Tii reincarnation using the 1 series coupe? Well, I hope they do at least one stripped out max attack version.

X10.. I would give my left one for a 135TIi.