Sign in to follow this  
Andrew

BMW cuts production of large engines, pure electric 1-series in develo

Posted Image

As demand for V12, V10 and V8 engines dies down, BMW will be shifting towards smaller and more fuel-efficient engines. According to Manfred Schoch, chairman of BMW’s works council, BMW hasn’t produced its 8-cylinder engine in a three-shift operation in a long time.

Schoch said that 6-cylinder assembly will be phased out in its Munich plant and will be replaced by 4-cylinder engines. By 2011, BMW hopes to produce 320,000 4-cylinder units a year in the programs first phase. In the second phase, BMW will add additional capacity for 240,000 engines a year.

Schoch also said that the works council is planning a development of a pure electric car based on the 1-Series which could be named City Electric Sprinter and could debut as early as 2010.

:( The famous BMW straight six is becoming extinct?

Average isn't it

First the CSL and now this? I think the hippies have got to them

Posted Image

as long as they continue developement of the s14 style of engine .. I'm happy with that. Its doesn't actually the six will be phased out itself .. just the munich plant wont be doing them. I dont think I would forgive BMW if it turned into VW or Fiat however!