Sign in to follow this  
Avenged.SSE

Fuel economy & insurance related question!

Hiya...

So I was wondering, approx what would the fuel efficiency be for these two cars.... 2003 735 or 745 (would be awesome if someone can provide highway/city/both)... I'm having trouble finding the figures, so I was wondering whether someone has em.

And also... I'm wondering - at what age do insurance companies stop charging really high rates solely because of age (I've heard all sorts of figures - between 21-26)

Thanks for any help :D

They also sometimes drop the premium slightly at 21 if you have had a clean license ( I got a small discount at 21, and then a rather large one at 25.)

even with a clean license etc the premium for a 540 745 etc will be more than say a 525 or 728 of the same value

Guest Simon*

If you're young and looking at a big 6 they'll cringe, look at the V8 and they'll treat you like the devil.

25 like the others said is when they'll unshackle you :)

If you're young and looking at a big 6 they'll cringe, look at the V8 and they'll treat you like the devil.

25 like the others said is when they'll unshackle you :)

they dont like the bigger engines at any age...there was a long pause at the end of the phone when i swapped from the 2000cc litre nissan to a 3400cc bmw.......value wasnt too much different but the premium went up somewhat

In Aus the insurance companies have a new plan for under 25's whereby if they leave their cars at home Friday &Saturday nights (7pm till 9am I believe) they receive a nice little discount.

Quite a good idea I thought.

In Aus the insurance companies have a new plan for under 25's whereby if they leave their cars at home Friday &Saturday nights (7pm till 9am I believe) they receive a nice little discount.

Quite a good idea I thought.

How would they monitor this?

consequentially you wouldnt be able to make claims for friday or saturday nights i assume.

Basically it means you have no insurance in that time.

Not sure about the details for theft ect but if you have an accident in that time frame you get no payout.

consequentially you wouldnt be able to make claims for friday or saturday nights i assume.

Basically it means you have no insurance in that time.

Not sure about the details for theft ect but if you have an accident in that time frame you get no payout.

Makes sense. Cheers.

What the hell's the point of owning something like a 03 745 if u cant drive it on those nights O.O damn insurance companies... always trying to keep a brother down :(

What about the fuel efficiency question?! Ne one got any ideas about this?

Edited by Avenged.SSE

What the hell's the point of owning something like a 03 745 if u cant drive it on those nights O.O damn insurance companies... always trying to keep a brother down :(

look at all the fuel economy threads we been having..i would say the 540 or 740 range is where you will be....

Man I can't wait... only 3 months before I turn 25!!! Even though I've never had an accident in 8 years of driving, they still won't give me better premiums than any other under 25 driver.

Heard of Google? I'll place my money at 15 l/100km

Try fuel$aver.govt. Select the car and it will give you a rating along with L/100km figure.

HAHA, check this: 740LI - 11.2L/100km. 750LI - 11.5L/100km. I don't believe that for town conditions in the SLIGHTEST

HAHA, check this: 740LI - 11.2L/100km. 750LI - 11.5L/100km. I don't believe that for town conditions in the SLIGHTEST

Yeah.... See that's what most of the figures I've seen are like... so I need someone who actually has one to gimmie realistic figures. I'm hitting 12.2 L/100KM - I find it really hard to believe a V8 5.0 litre engine is more fuel efficient than my 2.5L straight 6...

my friend has a 745i 02 model. around town he gets 16L/100km on the highway its approx 12L/100km.

Not that flash but not to bad for the size of the thing.

My 740i is about 1L/100km better on both those stats - I do have a heavy foot as well. Love the acceleration. NOt so much speed.

Insurance for me is a killer. I am 22. Been driving and had insurance with AA since I was 15. When I was 16 I worked with Hertz as a fleet manager for 2 years. This is the only reason I was able to keep insurance with them when I bought the v8 BMW but my premium went up to 1500 bucks p/a and thats with a 50% discount.

I didnt want to take this but I had no choice really. But I went to the AA head office in person and spoke directly to the manger underrighter and I saved $450. Just by speaking to them in person.

I havent ever had a ticket or an accident. Had one claim when a guy smacked into me in the car park and f**ked off. But because of my age they think im a flight risk for them. This is not fair really I believe. I like to have good cars. I have a good car as I run my own business but I get lubbed into the same catergory as all the bloody boy racers etc out there!

supposed to be a mixed rating....yopu dont get an option for town only or highway only

I've got 3 cars insured, the 850CSi, the VR-4 which is heavily modified and an ST-R Legnum and pay about $1100 for each of the fast cars and $500 a year for the ST-R, all mods declared etc. I'm noly 24 so didn't think it was that bad.

And yes, the 850CSI has a 5.6L engine :)

I can strongly recommend getting quotes from different insurance companies.

I'm 21 and my quotes for full insurance for an e30 were:

STATE: approx $300 p.a. including roadside resuce and free windscreen repairs

AMI: $1100 p.a. But i had to keep it garaged and I don't have a garage

TOWER: $1800p.a.

All of the premiums were around the same, so its not hard to see why i went with state.

I was suprised AMI wasn't lower as I'd been with them since I was 15 and never made a claim. In my old car (civic) it was much lower than that. Also I have my flat insurance with Tower but had nothing with State.

I have always avoided State like the plague - quick to take your money, but always try to weasel out of any claims (or deal with them cheaply like second hand parts etc). AMI have always been the best for me, although AA & NZI seem to be reasonably competitive.

car value is also importaint (nothing worse than paying huge premiums when they wont payout the full amount)

im 22 and have a 95 m3 fully insured for an agreed value of 20k and $1000 per year through ami

i wouldnt reccomend aa, on average they wer quoting me double of ami on previous vehicles, and they reffused to cover the m3

jerm

I have always avoided State like the plague - quick to take your money, but always try to weasel out of any claims (or deal with them cheaply like second hand parts etc). AMI have always been the best for me, although AA & NZI seem to be reasonably competitive.

Many repairers got beef with State too... word on tha street is that its advisable to steer clear of 'em...