Sign in to follow this  
oscar90

E36 325i strut braces

my mates got a front one he bought for his race car - but has since changed his mind if your interested. Could get photos if need be. Still in box etc etc.

Edited by bmw3

Hi, thanks for the offer!, but ive just brought the front one

cheers

Don't mean to burst your bubble, but if a strut brace has a hinge where it joins to the strut towers, then it's rubbish, because it's not actually "bracing the struts" as it will simply bend at the hinge under stress.

My 2c. :)

I'm not so sure on that theory. That bar is designed to link the two towers together so the load is shared. It tends to be in tension so a hinge is not going to create such an issue, as it will still pull the other tower with it.

bubble wasnt very big anyway :D ...only being nosey at this stage

$80 pretty cheap ;)

:D yep...might get one, and see how it all goes

I see some reputable strut bar manufacturers make a different bar for the 318 vs the ones with 6 cylinders. Probably because of different engine clearance? So they're either not compatible, or the 318 bar might fit 320/323/325/328, but not the other way round.

Don't wanna burst anyones bubble here.

even a $20.00 strut brace is a winner in the "Wank Factor" dept.

As for performance and handling, most MacPherson strut upper mounts have a bearing mounted into rubber [ for allignment ]

This upper mount will flex long before the chassis does [ unless the spot-welding was a friday afternoon assembly at the factory ]

You need spherical bearing upper mounts and rose jointed lowers before the strut brace does any good.[ and very stiff springs ]

Mind you the "laws of justification" sometimes exceed the "laws of physics", The thing may handle better because it is Anodized and cost $80-00 [ placebo effect ]

good points above, however on my e30 I definatly noticed a positive difference - especially stability under braking. that was with a hinged bar, a decent brand though

good points above, however on my e30 I definatly noticed a positive difference - especially stability under braking. that was with a hinged bar, a decent brand though

Haha! Of course you would notice the difference under braking in a E30!!!

With those ol' E30 boats with the braking rod for the L/H master cylinder, and your heavy right foot.

It's a wonder you didn't collapse the towers when you stood on it.

As the saying goes "I couldn't fix it with a hammer, so it must be an electrical problem"