Sign in to follow this  
xescuy

Reupholster steering wheel?

Might sound a bit wired but my new 328 came with a electrical taped steering wheel :( . The leather is pealing and the previous owner used electrical tape to mend it. Of course, it looks horrible specially since the rest of the interior is in very good shape.

Would anyone know a place in Wellington that would reupholster (recover) the wheel on the car. I don't feel like taking it apart specially since I don't yet own any tools.

Also, are there any other ways of getting this fixed?

It's of course not a big deal but I'd love to get it looking good again so any help will be appreciated.

Mint interior mate. Wish I had leather. <_<

Any auto reupholsterer should be able to retrim a steering wheel. Another option would be to replace it, which isn't a very hard job, but would probably cost more than retriming.

Not many people do it, I would call Retro Vehicle enhancements.

i think i have one or two of those types.

with and with airbag etc

post-279-1222169281_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

sweet ... thanks for all the help. I'd rather not remove the wheel if possible so I'm hoping to get it done without that. I'll look at some of the places you guys recommended.

Cheers

Removing the wheel is no biggie and replacement would cost half as much as recovering, I was once quoted $800!!

Removing the steering wheel is very easy so don't let that hold you back. I was told about Fibre New, maybe you should give them a call.

Talked to Fibre New ... they want aprox 400 which I find a bit too much. I'll shop around for other leather places.

Might look into a replacement one if it's impossible to find a cheap reupholstering place.

Will this one on trademe work for an E36?

Looks similar to mine but I'm not sure if it's fully compatible.

Any advice??

Cheers

Raz

I have no idea what Fibre new do but that does sound pricy!

Unless you are going for something custom I would go with a second hand one, I fixed mine with 10 coats of shoe nugget!

Talked to Fibre New ... they want aprox 400 which I find a bit too much. I'll shop around for other leather places.

Might look into a replacement one if it's impossible to find a cheap reupholstering place.

Will this one on trademe work for an E36?

Looks similar to mine but I'm not sure if it's fully compatible.

Any advice??

Cheers

Raz

Yep it looks similar but on yours the parts near 3 and 9 o'clock are separate from the rim while on the other it's one piece. What you could do is ask for some high-res pictures of it, front and back, and remove your wheel (including the airbag part) and compare. Also ask for the wheel diameter. Also try comparing the part numbers and you might be able to find something on the net, www.realoem.com and www.bmwfans.info will help.

i think i have one or two of those types.

with and with airbag etc

Do you have a pic of the one with airbag?

Is it for sale.. if yes, how much.

Cheers