Sign in to follow this  
Markq

Petrol smells

Hello,

What could cause a petrol smell an E36 325i? Comes and goes, no sign of any leaks. Could the engine be getting too much fuel?

Any ideas......anyone......anyone?

Cheers

Running rich maybe?

Thats what I thought. Th economy is a bit high too...12.9l/100k My V8 535i gave me10.2 on avg.

How does one adjust the mix? Or is it a 'shop' job?

Thats what I thought. Th economy is a bit high too...12.9l/100k My V8 535i gave me10.2 on avg.

How does one adjust the mix? Or is it a 'shop' job?

f me thats 535 numbers!

I had a similar problem on the e30. Turned out to be a loose supply hose to the regulator in the engine bay, occasionally it would leak a touch and smell. Took ages to find - pushed the hose on properly and its fine.

So I say check all your fuel lines and clips.

I had a similar problem on the e30. Turned out to be a loose supply hose to the regulator in the engine bay, occasionally it would leak a touch and smell. Took ages to find - pushed the hose on properly and its fine.

So I say check all your fuel lines and clips.

Yeah, that happened to my 535i. One of the lines came unclipped and left a trail of gas in a parking building!!! No sign of leaks anywhere. Smell varied in strength. But its more the economy that freaking me out.

i'v read that the fuel sender or something under the passenger side are prome to wear and get hear line cracks in them. its a small cone. if you follow your fuel lines im shore you'll see what i'm talking about. nothing some silicon cant fix if you dont want to fork out for a new part. i had a fuel smell atone point and found there was a very small leak atthe top seal where injector 4 sat against the fuel rail.

the cover that screws over the top of the fuel senders might not be on quite right

i lost about 3 tanks worth of gas because of this- it sloshes out when you go around a corner with a full-ish tank. took a wee while to figure out why the car was suddenly so much more hungry <_<

this happened to my car. Terrible smell of rich burning. in order for me to get it fixed i needed to replace the fuel sensors, the o2 sensors and the choke settings needed to be replaced.

was expensive

this happened to my car. Terrible smell of rich burning. in order for me to get it fixed i needed to replace the fuel sensors, the o2 sensors and the choke settings needed to be replaced.

was expensive

Was this on a 3 series or your current 7 series?

My e36 318is has a similar problem. Every so often I have a smell of fumes. Does not seem to be at any particular time cold/hot, thrashed or not. Car does not seem to be running rich or using much petrol, in fact its quite the opposite.

have a look at your spark plugs, if they're sooty means its running rich. maybe give the air flow sensor a clean? or maybe theres an issue with fuel pressure reg if the mixture off?

wouldnt mind the fuel smell myself. would save me having to get air fresheners. well would be nice in the e30 not so much the 46